Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Leaving Cert Chaos Useful Phone Numbers & Frequently Asked Questions

Options
  • 06-08-2005 4:45pm

Post-Leaving Cert Chaos
    Useful Phone Numbers & Frequently Asked Questions

Phone Numbers:
    Dept. of Education: 090 6483600/01 8896400/0506 24300
    C.A.O.: 091 509800
    (but it’s all but impossible to get them to answer the phone at this time of year)

TCD Accommodation: 01 608 1177
    Trinity Hall: 01 497 1772
    TCD Admissions: 01 608 1039
    Trinity Access Programme: 01 608 2751
    Mature Students’ Officer : 01 608 1386

Websites:

www.cao.ie
    www.examinations.ie (results will be available on-line from Wednesday 17th; this service is available to all students, regardless of whether or not they made their application on-line).
    www.daft.ie (accommodation)
    www.tcd.ie/Admissions (contains information about courses)

FAQs:

Q. I’ve just got my Leaving Cert results and it looks like I’ll be getting a place in Trinity next year. How do I go about finding accommodation?

A. The Students’ Union has some accommodation advertisements which the student can come in and consult. They are visible within House 6, in Trinity. See www.tcd.ie/Maps for map information. Other good places to look for accommodation are www.daft.ie and the Evening Herald every Mondays.

Q. I want to get a room on campus/in Trinity Hall. How do I do this?

A. The places on campus are extremely limited, especially for incoming freshers. You will need to get in contact with the accommodation office in order to sort out rooms (their number is above).

Q. I got the points required for my first preference but I haven’t been offered that course. Why not?

A. You may have not met some of the other requirements of the course, such as a C3 in higher level maths. You should consult the CAO website above.

Q. I don’t understand why ‘the college’ has put up the points for my course this year?

A. The points are determined by demand for courses and not by the college.

Q. I’ve been offered a course quite low down my list of preferences. What chance do I have of getting a higher offer?

A. It’s difficult and dangerous to try and second guess the system, and you should always treat your first offer as your final one.

Q. Who do I talk to if I want to have a grade re-checked?

A. You must contact your school principal for all appeals and re-checks.

Q. How do I defer the place I have been offered?

A. You should not accept the offer in the regular manner. Make sure to get in contact TCD Admissions Office as soon as you can. Their number is above, or you should check their website.

Q. I have a query about the content of the course I will be starting in October! Can you help me?

A. You should contact the department directly, or else the TCD Admissions Office.

----

I've still to confirm some phone numbers, but decided to throw this up in it's near-complete glory. Big thanks to Daithí for the information on these.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

Im 15 points over the course I want for Trinity next year. Is that a safe enough cusion for points increasing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭flowerpotfrog

how the fook will he know?

Just wondering what the general safety cusion needed was. No looking for an omniscent god, just a general guide if anyone knows what the normal idea of "safe" points range are!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭flowerpotfrog

+400 usually does the job.

but seriously, have you checked the last 6 years points. is it a steady course like medicine or very random like TP/classics or a bobbler like engineering/science?

Cherry_Pie wrote:
    Im 15 points over the course I want for Trinity next year. Is that a safe enough cusion for points increasing??

There's no defined safe margin. Since the points are determined by the demand for courses, there's no way of being safe of not being safe I'm sorry to say.

Even going on previous years is nothing to go by. I had 25 clear from the previous to get into my (original) course, and it jumped up by 20. So there isn't really an answer for your question until next Monday, I'm sorry to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

it depends what course you want to do, some courses seem to go up every year, best to look at the pattern over a few years and it should more or less the same.

loads of extra people would have to apply for a a course to have an increase of bigger then 10 points id say though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭claireoby

When i got my results last year, i had a cushion of 50 points on my first choice, but it jumped 65 points, so unfortunately, you really just cant tell until monday!! best of luck.

oK! Thanks a mil to ye all though!!! Just an extra bit rattled about it as I repeated to get this corse!! It jumped last year considerable and my 20 point cusion was just out!!! Fingers crossed this year it won't jump about!!!!

Again, good luck to everyone who's getting CAO's on Monday!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

when exactly will i get my trinity id?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

freshers week, or shortly thereafter.

Then you can flash the card into the lib, or the buttery/pav, where I spent most of my first year......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

you'll get a registration pack about the 1st week in September (i worked on them last year), that will include when your registration is and what you need to bring with you(when you get your id). (oh and you should get a big notcie asking you for the registration fee, could be over 800eur this year)

It's officially EUR775.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

I guess this is the best place for this.
    I just sent off my acceptance of a course in tcd, and I'm wondering what
    will the next things I'm to do be? Timetable wise I guess, what will I have
    to show up for and when will the actual course work be starting, things
    like that. I just want a little rough guide, assistance would be appreciated.
    Macdara.

The lectures themselves will start on the 10th of October, with Freshers' Week happening the week before hand (from the 3rd to the 7th of October). During Freshers' Week, you have to come into college to register, and you also get the opportunity to meet people in your class on various tours, presentations, nights out, that sort of thing.

There will be stalls set up in Front Square for the whole week. The whole place just goes a bit mad, you see :)

Your timetable should be ready come Freshers' Week, if not much before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

for most courses, just show up on monday 3rd october for fresher's week and then classes will start on the 10th october. you'll get a bill for the registration fee and other stuff in the post during september. think some courses like nursing might start a bit earlier. full details of dates here.

edit: damn you and your speedy typing skills, myth!

punka wrote:
    edit: damn you and your speedy typing skills, myth!

Heh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

http://www.tcd.ie/orientation/week01.php

trinity's own little guide, if its any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

This is really helpful information :) By the way, do you get your booklist in the post with your orientation pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

lecturers will mostly tell you what you need over your first few lectures, most courses dont have a set book list just whatever you lecturer thinks is best, and i wouldnt recommend buying books, coz they are expensive and you can loan em out from the library for the whole year by renewing them online.. or get em cheaper in the SU bookshop or online, if you need to buy em.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

yeah - heh, everyone else bought books - i raided the library :)

• Advertisement

crash_000 wrote:
    yeah - heh, everyone else bought books - i raided the library :)

If you're going to do this, get there quick! Some books are in short supply in the library, so they'll vanish quickly.

Cheers, that's pretty much everything I was wondering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Find the Pav. Thats what I did. Then I stayed there and all the bartenders knew me by name.

Ah the glory days........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

they'll pass you by, in the blink of a young girls's eye.............

I got the letter with all the different things about fees and grants in it today.
    And the Bank Giro thing for the 775 + 8 euro is fine, going to sort that out on
    friday. but what about the rest of all these forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

this thread makes me angry for some reason, must...not....give....abuse.....

phew, that was a close one. i sometimes worry about the future of this country

My problem is not with my literacy.

My problem is that there are two forms meant for EU students, one of the form is in regard to grants. now although the first form doesnt apply to me there is a chance I'll get be getting a grant for my course, so do I need to fill out this 2nd form.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

listen, if in doubt fill out all the forms! you never know you might get something that wasnt already coming to you.

as for this ernesto chap, id love to know who this mystery person is!
    and im not jumping down anyones throats, or trying to insult anyone, if you ask a stupid uneccesary question you'd get the same response, which would be "think about it before going annoying people with questions you can answer yourself with little hassle".

Advertisement