Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever wonder where Silly Point was?

Options
  • 06-08-2005 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

fielding.gif

fieldsetting.jpg

Now you know (maybe this should be a sticky!)

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yep....and now i know. :D

Stucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

See also:

http://www.answers.com/topic/fielding-cricket

They have a few extra such as fly-slip and long stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can anyone see the pics in the opening post? I can't.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

mike65 wrote:
    Can anyone see the pics in the opening post? I can't.

Mike.

No.

sometimes i can, sometimes i can't. I'll save the images to my filespace and then edit the links in your post...if you don't mind?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exellent! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Just to note, there are always two fixed fielders; the bowler and the wicket-keeper. The nine others can be anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

DMC wrote:
    Just to note, there are always two fixed fielders; the bowler and the wicket-keeper. The nine others can be anywhere else.

just saw this and your wrong to a certain point.

there was a law introduced many a moon ago which says you can only have two fielders behind square leg. This was introduced to curb leg side bowling in test matches. Quite often in the olden days when a team was trying to save a test match they would load the on side field with fielders and bowl short pitched deliveries down the leg side. even if a batsman got a to a ball there was usually a fielder to cover. backward of sqaure leg.

hope i make sense.

Washout wrote:
    just saw this and your wrong to a certain point.

there was a law introduced many a moon ago which says you can only have two fielders behind square leg. This was introduced to curb leg side bowling in test matches. Quite often in the olden days when a team was trying to save a test match they would load the on side field with fielders and bowl short pitched deliveries down the leg side. even if a batsman got a to a ball there was usually a fielder to cover. backward of sqaure leg.

hope i make sense.

Is this relation to the rules brought into curb the bodyline type bowling?

your right on the money there Ruggie.

http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-41-the-fielder,67,AR.html

number 5 deals with what i was talking about.

and the following webpage describes the history of why the law was introduced.

http://www.answers.com/topic/bodyline

i was wrong in my initial statement saying it was for the purpose of a team trying to save a draw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

Yeah I can see the pics ok no problem ....bit i dont understand is "hitting off the back foot" where is ones back foot? cant find mine anywhere!..

if your right handed your back foot is your left foot..

it means you take most of the weight of the front (right) foot for the shot.

for example a hook shot off a short ball is completely on the back foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pjdelaney

Tony

As a right hander your "back foot" is in fact your right foot.I have seen batsmen jump in the air and use no feet - very useful aginst short pitched bowling.

In recent years have noticed the use of the term "cow corner".This is not shown on the guide.Am i correct in thinking this should be deep mid on?.

oops i got my coordintations wrong....your right.

my apologies
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Cow Corner is on the boundary between Long On and (deep) Mid-wicket. Deep Mid-on is called Long On.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

Ok so if im left handed and hit the ball while in the air.. around cow corner deep mid-on area would i be on back or front foot?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

tonyboy247 wrote:
    Ok so if im left handed and hit the ball while in the air.. around cow corner deep mid-on area would i be on back or front foot?

You're a bit confused here.

If you're left-handed, your back foot is your left one, because you're standing with that one closest to your wicket. Whether a shot is off the back foot or the front foot simply depends on where your weight is when you hit the ball. If all your weight is on your back foot, it's a back foot shot e.g. a square cut or back-foot drive.

Where the ball actually goes is governed by what shot you play, not what foot you play it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

I couldn't see the photos today either. But I found this on Wikipedia when the world cup was on in the Carribean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fielding_positions_in_cricket#Fielding_position_names_and_locations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

DMC wrote: »

not any more cuz of power play : <

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Nope.

I also know where silly mid on and silly mid off are. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Soylent_Green

Washout wrote: »
    oops i got my coordintations wrong....your right.

my apologies
    j

For a second there I had thought I'd been batting right handed all those years ago.

Advertisement