Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ Repeats

Options
  • 06-08-2005 1:20pm

If anyone has anything else to add, post away!

---

First things first…what are repeats?

Just in case you don’t know, you have the opportunity to repeat some of your annual exams in college during September (before college starts back) if you fail them.

When do I register and where do I send my big fat cheque for the repeats?

You don’t have to do anything for the repeats, bar studying! Your only notice that you have repeats will come from the annual examination results (i.e. repeat 141 in supplementals). It is then upon you to start studying, and to find out when the timetables are out for those subjects. Some faculties will inform students of when the timetables are put up on the notice boards.

You also don’t have to pay anything to do repeats.

When are repeat timetables going to be put up?

The repeat timetables are due to be put up in the middle of August. The actual examination date is set from the 12th to the 23rd of September, so your exams will fall between these dates.

When are the results going to be out?

The results usually come out a week or so after the exams all finish.

I want to see what I did wrong in the annual exams. How do I see my exam papers?

There are two routes you can do on this. First of all, you can contact the lecturer themselves; usually they would be willing to make time themselves. If you can’t get a hold of the lecturer, you should get onto the Head of the Department, or if you don’t have one, get onto your course co-ordinator. You are fully entitled to view your completed scripts, as well as have the lecturer who marked you to go through with you – make good use of this!

It will mean you mightn’t make some of the same mistakes again.

Will my Department give me a copy of my exam paper?

More then likely not. Your best bet would be to go ask the lecturer themselves for a copy of the exam paper when you are in there talking about your exam script. Or else you can borrow it from a friend and photocopy it!

Why aren’t the previous years repeat papers online?

The reason I was given was that some lecturers like to re-use questions from year to year. This isn’t definite however, so do study the course material!

What are the opening hours of the library during the summer?

The opening hours are currently set at 09:00 to 17:00 on weekdays. The weekend opening hours are from 09:30 to 13:00 in the BLU (Berkeley, Lecky, Ussher) and the Hamilton, but not the John Stearne. Keep in mind two things…

1) 1) The Berkeley and Ussher are open until 21:00 every Thursday with the Lecky open until 18:00 that same day.
    2) There is study space for at least the next two weeks in Regent House from 17:00 to 20:30. (dates: 8th of August to the 19th of August, weekdays only)

Visit http://www.tcd.ie/Maps/ if you don’t know where the libraries or Regent House is!

I survive on chocolate milk in the SU shop. What are the opening hours of it during the summer?

The House 6 shop is open 09:00 – 18:00 during the week, with weekend opening times too.

If you have any more information about the repeats, send me an email. I’m at education@tcdsu.org.

Talk to you soon!

Dónal (Education Officer).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Good luck to everyone in the S-Club!

Try and plan some fun things to do once the exams are over and you're waiting for the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Thanks Dónal, that was quite helpful.

Must check out out about them timetables

Myth wrote:
    1) 1) The Berkeley and Ussher are open until 21:00 every Thursday with the Lecky open until 18:00 that same day.
    2) There is study space for at least the next two weeks in Regent House from 17:00 to 20:30. (dates: 8th of August to the 19th of August, weekdays only)

Visit http://www.tcd.ie/Maps/ if you don’t know where the libraries or Regent House is!

Regent House will be open until the repeats start. (Date not confirmed yet, but may up until the 5th or so of September)

Weekdays only, 5 - 8:30 in the evenings.

Timetables for all years are out.

Oh, and Regent House is agreed to be open until the 7th of September. This is a wednesday night. Be advised that the Berkeley is open until 9 p.m. the following night.

In case anyone is wondering why they aren't open during exams, it is because college has a policy that you can't use rooms where exams will take place at all apart from exams. Some of you may well be using Regent House for exams during repeats. The room has to be evacuated a few days coming up to the repeats, which explains why it is only open until the 7th. Also, it only opens until 8:30 because of security arrangements.

We are lucky enough to get this facility for free, so there isn't much that can be done security wise unfortunately.

Anyways, hope this clears up some other of the questions you might have.

*bump*

• Advertisement

If anyone is repeating Maths, and needs some help, you may want to view here

(note, this isn't something organised by the SU.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

when do the libraries go back to full opening times?

'Tis the 10th of October, when term time starts again.

Just for anyone who takes some time out of the next few days to have a look here, myself and some of the other SU folk will be wandering around the exam centres (mainly GMB, Regent House, Goldsmith and Exam Hall) before some of the exams handing out extra pens, pencils, water, lollipops and other such fun that you might need in the run-up to the exams. So if you see some people who look like they've just robbed the SU shop, feel free to come up to us!

Best of luck over the next two weeks!

Dónal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

AAAAAgh, it's tomorrow!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

AAAAAgh, it's tomorrow!!!!

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(........

Eh, just wondering but can you get a compensated pass in the repeats or do you have to get over 40% in each of them?

wayfarer wrote:
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(........

Eh, just wondering but can you get a compensated pass in the repeats or do you have to get over 40% in each of them?

It depends on the course, some courses allow compensation in repeats, others don't allow it ever. What course are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

No matter, all been sorted, thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

So....*bump*..

This year's supplementals start on the 11th September and run until the 22nd. Any idea, or even loose guesses based on previous years, as to when JF Chemistry will be timetabled?

I have the dates of release of timetables for repeats in my office, from what I remember it was the start of August, but can't remember for sure right now.

For anyone reading the first post in all this, the dates of the regent house evening study space were for 2005 only - I'm sure they will be organised over the summer by Rob, but don't go making plans until it has been announced.

Oh, and I spied something in the college calendar recently which mentions how students can avail of accommodation (at a cost) for the repeats, but have to apply well in advance. In fact, the deadline is coming up soon:

"Subject to availability, short-term occupancy is available to students from outside the greater Dublin area who are sitting supplemental examinations during September. Rooms are available from 1 September and must be requested before 12 July."

From H 21, 16

Advertisement