Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy

Options
  • 05-08-2005 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Is it a good course?Is anyone doing it?Please if you are could you give me your thoughts on it!much appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'd say yes if you like science and have an interest in medicine and treating people but no if you are only thinking of doing it for a cushy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Just noticed this thread now. I'm going into 2nd year Pharmacy, not in Trinity though, I chose RCSI for a number of reasons. So I can't answer any specific questions bout the Trinity course. I do know you do a lot of general science in first year apart from that I'm not sure.

As a course overall it's very very interesting. Obviously very science based, particularly chemistry so if you like chem you've got a good start anyway! What I would say is its tough. Theres a lot of very different subjects to learn e.g. physiology and biochemistry are very sciencey and then practice of pharmacy is ethics/laws/patient counselling etc.

As a career, it's good in that you won't find it difficult to get a job. However you can expect to work long hours. A pharmacy can't open if there isn't a pharmacist on the premises meaning pharmacist may not get out for lunch or some days, have to work late etc. Thats worst case scenario though, mostly you'll be getting paid well for a fairly ok job. If you're interested in community or hospital pharmacy you get a LOT of patient contact so being good with people is a bonus.

Feel free to pm me with any other questions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

There is a lot of info to take in. I have a good bit of experiance with pharmacy, and the working enviroment of a pharmacy. It has a high work load. Belive it or not there's a lot of paper work to do. it's very hard going, but it is extreamly rewarding at times. My dad is a pharmacist and I work in our pharmacy quite a bit. I know how they operate, and it's not easy at times. If you want any more info on the job possiblities end of it, I can help, pm if you like. I'll be more than happy to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭flowerpotfrog

looks to me like a very boring job.

not really, it's very fulfilling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

looks to me like a very boring job.
    What's that based on? Do you actually know what the pharmacist does from day to day? Or is that based on what you see the odd time you go into the pharmacy? Just interested, cause I don't agree with you either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭flowerpotfrog

What's that based on? Do you actually know what the pharmacist does from day to day? Or is that based on what you see the odd time you go into the pharmacy? Just interested, cause I don't agree with you either way

well i reckon the pharmacists that work in boots etc. just potter around sticking stickers on boxes. then they give the boxes to the custumer and say take twice daily for 2 weeks. then push a few buttons on the til. maybe sell some make up later on. possibly get robbed by a junkie in the afternoon, that, however, would not be so boring.

I used to work in a pharmacy and it was far more exciting than that.

well i reckon the pharmacists that work in boots etc. just potter around sticking stickers on boxes. then they give the boxes to the custumer and say take twice daily for 2 weeks. then push a few buttons on the til. maybe sell some make up later on. possibly get robbed by a junkie in the afternoon, that, however, would not be so boring.

You've got it miserably wrong. Unless you've worked in a pharmacy you can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

John2 wrote:
    I used to work in a pharmacy and it was far more exciting than that.
    Yeah, free samples.....

Heh Heh Heh.......

• Advertisement

Yeah nothing like a couple of Lemsips and a snort of nasal spray to start your day ;)

Seriously though, it was a pretty eventful job. Not many shops where people come in with bits hanging off them asking to be bandaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Shrimp wrote:
    not really, it's very fulfilling.
    Yeah... fulfilling your pockets! Ca-ching!

Frankie! You're alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

thank you all for your replys! I did work experience in a pharmacy in fourth year and bagged a summer job! It is fun! I'm just kind of confused about the whole college aspect! thanks again for all the replys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LancerBoy08

Does anyone know how many hours a week 1st year pharmacy has in Trinity?? I'm staring next week and I dont know what to expect! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LizzieDarling

Ya Im starting pharmacy in tcd too next week:eek:
    I think theres 16 hours of lectures,6 labs and a tuturial.
    It seems alright but I could be horribly shocked when I start!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭WaldenByThoreua

Poor First years! Dont know the stress awaiting ye! Craic is good though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TheDPP

On the subject of Pharmacy - just attended 1st lecture today and Quigley and D Darcy said that their notes were on a web site. Can't find anything. Any suggestions??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

TheDPP wrote: »
    On the subject of Pharmacy - just attended 1st lecture today and Quigley and D Darcy said that their notes were on a web site. Can't find anything. Any suggestions??

Going on past experience anyway, they should have their notes in their Get folders. Log on to any of the college PCs, I believe there is a link to Get folders at the top of the Start menu, then look for each lecturer's folder (should be ddarcy and jquigley).

Thanks a million - I thought he kept saying 'give notes'!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

Enjoy the ceutics labs next term.

Thanks, hope that'll be good 'cos finding chemistry tougher than I thought it would be - loved it at school. Are you being sarcastic??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

TheDPP wrote: »
    Thanks, hope that'll be good 'cos finding chemistry tougher than I thought it would be - loved it at school. Are you being sarcastic??:)

Well sort of. There's a practical exam in PH1004 (pharmaceutics to give it it's proper title) towards the end of Hilary term and believe me they're strict about it. There always the case of someone having to go off books because of the exam.
    You really need the past exam papers for the practical which they sadly don't provide online.

Thanks for the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

penguin88 wrote: »
    Going on past experience anyway, they should have their notes in their Get folders. Log on to any of the college PCs, I believe there is a link to Get folders at the top of the Start menu, then look for each lecturer's folder (should be ddarcy and jquigley).

One of my lecturers keeps mention a get folder but I can't find it. There's no link at the top of the start menu for me. Do you know what the file directory location is?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mark200 wrote: »
    One of my lecturers keeps mention a get folder but I can't find it. There's no link at the top of the start menu for me. Do you know what the file directory location is?

I'm afraid I don't. I know on Macs there used to be a link to them on the desktop (blue and yellow folders symbol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SaganScience

Hi, I hope someone can answer a few questions for me.:)

I am doing first year Science at the moment but I am thinking of switching to Pharmacy next year. What is the course like? Is it as tough as I hear people say? Is it mostly Chemistry or Biology or half and half?

Are there many non-Science modules, like ethics and practice of Pharmacy?

What kind of assignments do you have to do?

Is it competitive? Is there much craic??

Thanks very much!

Advertisement