Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

0-60, is this a lie?

Options
  • 29-07-2005 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I drove home for lunch there and on a straight (about a mile long) i decided to see what my 0-60 was on my 1.4 '99 Astra.

26 Secs 0-60 changing gear at 4000rpm all the way through each gear.

I thought it said on the brouchures for Astra 1.4's 0-60 was 12.5 sec's.

I know my car is 6.5 years old with 71k on the clock and performance will be down on that of a new Astra but i didnt think it would be as much as that.

Is there anyone else out there that has tried this or any reasons for the lack in performance apart from age and mileage.

Whats your 0-60, and not what you'll find in the brouchures.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kluivert wrote:
    Whats your 0-60, and not what you'll find in the brouchures.
    Oh god noooo don't start them off... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

You prob didn't change gear at the optimum time, gear change might be sloppy etc?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kluivert - how were you timing yourself? Shouldn't you really be watching the road?
    Still, your car should comfortably do it in about half that time (assuming you aren't heavily laiden down and driving uphill)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I didnt want to kill the engine so 4000rpm was grand for me.

Gear change is very quick in the Astra (Short Gear Stick) and smooth.

Still feels quick enough though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

What condition are your tyres in?
    Was the road wet?
    Was your tank full of fuel?
    Is your boot full of crap?
    Did you have passengers in the car?
    Was the engine cold?

The best time to try that kind of expirement is after a full service, on a dry calm day, with a warmed up engine, and the least amount of weight possible in the car...

• Advertisement

Stop watch!

This is the Carrick/Dundalk Road outside Carrick it is a straight road for a mile and you can see one end to the next, its straight as a lamppost and there was no car no the road either way. I wouldn't attempt anything like that on a road where there is sight of any cars.

I was pushing the car, it got to 60 in what i thought was quick till later i looked at the stop watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

kluivert wrote:
    I didnt want to kill the engine so 4000rpm was grand for me.

Gear change is very quick in the Astra (Short Gear Stick) and smooth.

Still feels quick enough though!
    I've driven the 1.4 Astra & you should be probably upshifting at about 5.5k rpm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

You probably lost a lot of time on the actual take off. Generally you will get a much quicker take off if you rev to about 2500 - 3000 rpm and then release the clutch. Rev to roughly 4500-5500 for each gear change (depending on the car and it's condition), and you should get close to the manufacturers 0-60 time.

I got to between .1 and .2 of my own cars stated 0-60 best. It takes time and practice, and I'm really not very pushed about it.

Prospect

The mx5 would do it in no time whatsoever.

Ok the road was wet, new tires, engine medium to warm, no passengers or excess weight (apart from me lol). It was going along at the normal accelerating force that it has. Car is regularly serviced, every 7k.

I have found that if you have your foot down hardish with the Astra's that if you left off slight it will actually accelerate quicker, weird. Its slow enough up to 3000rpm but after this is goes like the run roader.

Ill try it again some time early in the morning when the air is colder after a service (Next week) in the dry and see how she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

raods have been like rivers,
    you were probably aquaplaning like crazy.

i didnt think yesterday and took off on the bike,
    accelaerating from the first set of lights,
    the back wheel swung in an arc left-right of about 110degrees before it snapped into line.
    a car wont do that, usually, but the weheels still spin like crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I haven't tried timing 0-60 in the MX5.

I haven't driven many astras, but as fletch said, maybe you need to get the revs higher.
    Also rev it as high as you can for taking off, but don't go so high that you get wheel spin.

Part of the problem could be your learning curve. Each car would require a slightly different technique for doing such an exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

4~5 seconds i think, cant try it today its too wet, (motorbike), proabably could do it faster but it gets hard to find a balance between wheelieing/wheelspin/good launch

My Take off was like your everyday one as if your at the lights behind someone. I didnt think of putting the revs to 3500-4500 for the start, thats probably where i lost the time.

Awh well it just one of those curious moments to see if my car still has any grunt left in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Over 4k wont kill the engine.
    They are dog slow cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

got 0 - 60 in just over 14 seconds on my Focus with two passengers, you probably just lost the time at the start and you definatly werent reving high enough at gear changes@4k

Nothing got to do with the above but nevertheless...

Been reading up Astra's on astra sport co uk and people are having the same problems as i am, one of which is the smell of petrol when you start the car. People were replyin back about a cracked fuel pipe or a fuel pipe connected to the air intake which maybe disconnected.

Other thing was the engine seems noiser as well, a ticking noise. I think this is a water pump to be changed with the timing belt next week.

Has anyone had any similiar experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

You just didnt rev it enough, you should rev it close to 6k rpm or so, as your peak bhp and torque should be close enough to the 5700/5800 mark. Revving it to 4k and changing is just not getting enough ponies out of the engine, and it's not like you had a lot to start with... ;)

Cheers lad

Rev counter only goes to 7000rpm

89bhp@ 4500rpm is the limit on this car. I need to check that one as well but i dont know what the torque output is on this one, which you probably need to know as it is the torque that is pulling you forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

99 1.4 Astra:

Torque (lbft) 92.2
    RPM to which the Torque refers 4000
    Maximum Speed 112
    Acceleration (0-60) 11.5

The time you did was very slow

I get 8.1 seconds in my turbo diesel :D best I've got is 7.9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Kluivert, I think I know what the problem is. A friend has one of these and he had the same problem. He replaced a part with one of these to get the correct 0 - 60 time.

• Advertisement

Nice one lad

Stop watch is what i was using. Its very slow but i wasnt revving at the start so i would have lost alot of time there lad. Plus conditions where not the greatest in all fairness but ill consider your remmendation sincerely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

kluivert wrote:
    Nice one lad

Stop watch is what i was using. Its very slow but i wasnt revving at the start so i would have lost alot of time there lad. Plus conditions where not the greatest in all fairness but ill consider your remmendation sincerely.

:D Sorry mate. I couldn't resist.

LOL

I like the mustang there sweet ride, i prefer the old style though alot of those muscle cars still look great.

Advertisement