Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Year Sociology?

Options
  • 09-07-2005 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

I just finished JF Sociology & Social Policy, can anyone tell me what SFs like? I assume its more work than JF! :D

Comments

Stargal's your girl...someone nudge her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

eager beaver. it's the summer relax who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I found that Sociology got much better as the years went on. The 1st year course is too broad and flies through everything too quickly. You only start learning things properly in 2nd year. In a strange way I found second year easier because you're looking at things in a more focused way and things then fit together better.

The best year (particularly in SocSocPol) is 3rd year though so it's all ahead of you even again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Sorry, haven't been around here for a while! What courses have you chosen for next year?

For a lot of the courses, it's just a matter of keeping up with the reading -they're not overly difficult and for some (European Politics or Social Policy for example) there's a lot of rote learning.

There's more coursework to be handed in during the year than in first year, especially in Intro to Social Research (although there will be a new lecturer for this in October so it may have changed). With this course there was both a qualitative and a quantitative group project to be done over the course of the year, so if this stays the same, make sure you get a group that you're happy with!

Have to run but I'll write more later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

isn't sociology were hit and miss with regards to liking it or hating it. i know a few ppl doing BESS and some ppl can't stand this subject while others live for it. maybe it's like chemistry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 grainnenih

Hi there, I've applied for TR083 and just wondering if anyone could tell me in advance what the 1st year timetable is likely to be? I need to organise childcare and just wanted to have a rough idea of the hours/days per week and whether there will be project work/study time needed in the evenings if I do get a place? Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

grainnenih wrote: »
    Hi there, I've applied for TR083 and just wondering if anyone could tell me in advance what the 1st year timetable is likely to be? I need to organise childcare and just wanted to have a rough idea of the hours/days per week and whether there will be project work/study time needed in the evenings if I do get a place? Thanks!!

"In the Freshman years, students take six modules, with typically two lectures and one tutorial per week for each module."

Taken straight from the course information page.
    And no, there's absolutely no study time needed or project work ever in university.

Also, this thread is 6 years old?

I found the TCD section on Boards and within that there was a post called 'Got a question about Trinity, check here first!' and it had links to all the current threads so I clicked on the pre-existing one called 'Sociology' I thought that was the correct procedure, not to start new threads when there is already one relating to your question?

I have read what they have on their website obviously, what I'm looking for is a typical timetable with start times and end times Mon - Fri so I can get an idea of the hours.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I found the TCD section on Boards and within that there was a post called 'Got a question about Trinity, check here first!' and it had links to all the current threads so I clicked on the pre-existing one called 'Sociology' I thought that was the correct procedure, not to start new threads when there is already one relating to your question?

I have read what they have on their website obviously, what I'm looking for is a typical timetable with start times and end times Mon - Fri so I can get an idea of the hours.

Thanks

If the most recent relevant thread is this old then you're safe enough to start a new one I'd say :D

If you don't get an answer on here then your best bet is to give Trinity's sociology department a ring and ask them what the typical JF timetable is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

It's been three years since I did JF Sociology (hated it with a vengence), but I found that the typical timetable was like one 9 o'clock lecture, and a 5 and 6 o'clock lecture. Then there were about 3 tutorial, but you got to choose your time (if I remember correctly).

I never showed up to any lectures and showed up to only a few tutorials. If it wasn't for my other TSM I could coneivably have not gone to college at all.

• Advertisement

dog_pig wrote: »
    If the most recent relevant thread is this old then you're safe enough to start a new one I'd say :D

If you don't get an answer on here then your best bet is to give Trinity's sociology department a ring and ask them what the typical JF timetable is like.

I've rang the Sociology department several times, and left a couple of voicemails asking them to send me a typical timetable. I've also emailed all the email addresses that are on the website, to no avail. Hence why I'm trying Boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I've rang the Sociology department several times, and left a couple of voicemails asking them to send me a typical timetable. I've also emailed all the email addresses that are on the website, to no avail. Hence why I'm trying Boards!

Let me tell you something about the Sociology Department; it's run by the laziest, least helpful fúckers I've ever met in my life. Every time I went into Fiona's office (she's the secretary) during the very brief hours she was in I'd be met with nothing but vague hostility and she couldn't wait to get rid of me.

The best I can do for you is look through my old emails and see if I can find any mention of my timetable. I'll let you know if there's any joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

Thanks

Nobody would be in a position to tell you what the timetable (or 'typical timetable') would be next September for any undergraduate course in TCD in terms of hours Mon - Fri. It could be very similar to the 2010-2011 timetable. Or it could be completely different! Trinity has a new timetable every academic year, typically constructed over the summer. The administrators won't begin thinking about the timetable for September until the exams are over, the results have been published, and the dust has settled. And when the CAO acceptances come in, the administrators will likely be adjusting the timetable of TSM courses such as Sociology, in particular, moving lecture slots from day to day, in an effort to eliminate clashes and make things work out. If you are lucky, you might have a reasonably stable timetable by the first week of teaching - but even then they may well need to make further adjustments, move lecture times etc.

The way the system works, they cannot have a workable timetable until (most of) the students are registered in the timetabling database for the modules that they will be taking. And that will not happen for first year courses until the acceptances arrive from the CAO.

Timetables are unlikely to be published until well into September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Totally true dabh, but they can at least get an idea of hours/week, etc, which don't tend to change from year to year.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Je ne sais pas.

I looked up the 1st year SocSocPol timetable there.
    Picked the most common choosen 6 modules, timetable that was generated seemed to have lectures at:

Mon 9 and 4
    Tues 1, 3 and 6
    Wed 12
    Thurs 10, 11, 3 and 4
    Friday 10

With millions of different tutorial groups spread out during the day, you can usually go to whichever one you want.

As other have said, this may be completely different come September, but I don't think so for many of these subjects.

In terms of arranging childcare, all you can really know at this stage is that you'll more than likely have one or two late evenings in the week and early starts most days, time in between you can get work done so on the days you don't have a late lecture you could be home relatively early, but free.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

thanks for info folks, still helpful cheers

Advertisement