Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any sign of "credit card" style drivers licences?

Options
  • 08-07-2005 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

I deliberately went for a 3 year license last time I renewed because I thought we'd have magnetic strip licenses by now :rolleyes:

Has this plan, like so many other FF plans, gone by the wayside?
    I hate having all that information visible on my license, especially my address.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Yeah its about time we got the credit card sized ones, the ones we have at the moment are too big to fit in a wallet properly, and so flimsy they get torn all the time.
    I've a feeling it's fallen by the wayside though as you say, like so many other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have a CC sized license from the US, and it also displays you address and other personal information. AFAIK the UK ones display adresses as well?

Whats wrong with your address being displayed on your license?

Agree with the post though, the plastic laminated licenses are great, and I'm amazed the sysyem hasnt being sorted yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Well, seeing as you now have to carry your license with you when you drive, most people (not me) keep their license in their glove compartment as it's too large to carry around in a jacket or handbag. Plus seeing as it's made of paper they get destroyed very quickly.
    If someone rob's your car, say from a carpark in town, they have your address too.
    They also know you're not home!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

*goes to get license out of the car* but where am I gonna put it?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    *goes to get license out of the car* but where am I gonna put it?? :D

Well, if this government would get their fingers out, in your wallet.
    Or, at the moment, in a binder :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Sleipnir wrote:
    Or, at the moment, in a binder :rolleyes: :D

or at the moment, on their 3 month holiday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Sleipnir wrote:
    :rolleyes: :D

The government's too busy getting their fingers into your wallet to bother about it. :D
    Fwiw, I fold mine up and put it in a quite spot in the wallet. Seems to be in good condition, although it rarely sees the light of day ... but when it does, 'what a handsome bastard :cool: , wonder what happened :confused:'

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

:-)
    I Sent a mail to the Dept of Transport asking about decent sized licenses on the 6-12-02. Got this reply back on the 9-12-02

"The Minister has announced that a credit card type licence will be introduced. This matter is being actively investigated."

2 Years, 7 months later... Thats some investigation.!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

everyones address is in the phone book anyway!
    My licence is in my sun visor - I've only taken it out once in 2 years
    Apart from a tiny addition of convenience, I don't see the problem really.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The DoE can't even get the finger out and provide a decent version of the ROTR for those wishing to do the test (and those who have done it). They can't manage to test all those who want to obtain a licence. And you are wondering why they can't manage to sort out a different licence for those who have passed the test?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

This is way down the priority list for the government I would think. Often when they take an initiative on something, it's because there's a large public interest attached and/or it's of benefit to the government in some way. This qualifys on neither of the above. But yes - it would be handy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Banjo013 wrote:
    This is way down the priority list for the government I would think. Often when they take an initiative on something, it's because there's a large public interest attached and/or it's of benefit to the government in some way. This qualifys on neither of the above. But yes - it would be handy alright.

I'm sure if they introduced them we'd have to pay to change from the ones we have at the moment... I'm sure that'd be lucrative enough for them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

egan007 wrote:
    My licence is in my sun visor - I've only taken it out once in 2 years
    Apart from a tiny addition of convenience, I don't see the problem really.

Because, I drive at least 3 different cars during the week, due to various reasons beyond my control. That means the visor option is not a runner, and the wallet is a must.
    Now the bloody thing is wrecked...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭shamalive

It was discussed at a European level last week.
    3 countries objected (on what grounds I have no idea).

It'll be another few years.

Our gov isnt gonna introduce them and then find they have to change to meet euro regs,
    they'll just wait until a Euro standard is agreed upon.

It should have been done years ago anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

I too would like to see a cc-sized licence that would fit into my wallet.

I bought a licence holder (could only locate a nice one in a 'touristy shop'?! ......why a tourist would want one is beyond me! :D). Anyway, I usually keep in in the glove box .......... though I too am wary of anybody seeing it if my car was stolen !

It's strange that I was issued with a cc-sized licence when I was in The Cook Islands (population 13,000) last year - and yet we still have none here :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

bruachain wrote:
    I have a CC sized license from the US, and it also displays you address and other personal information.
    A few years ago in the States I was in a liquor ;) store and was asked for ID - as is the norm there. So I said "is a drivers license ok" and she said "yes, that'll be fine".
    So I whip out my gargantuan Irish drivers license and the look on her face was pricess as she said "What the hell is that!?!"

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

egan007 wrote:
    Mine isn't - ex-directory - avoids all the telecom switcher cold calls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

RainyDay wrote:
    Mine isn't - ex-directory - avoids all the telecom switcher cold calls
    I use VoIP so I'm not in the phonebook either :D

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

causal wrote:
    A few years ago in the States I was in a liquor ;) store and was asked for ID - as is the norm there. So I said "is a drivers license ok" and she said "yes, that'll be fine".
    So I whip out my gargantuan Irish drivers license and the look on her face was pricess as she said "What the hell is that!?!"

causal

I was in Boston in '93 and my wife and I were going into a bar and were asked for ID. (The wife was chuffed, she hadn't been carded in years). I pulled out my driving licence, she got her provisional licence. The guy laughed and asked "So, is this how they do it in Ireland? Blue for a girl and pink for a boy?"

Advertisement