Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Prices~Time To stand up and fight back!!!!

Options
  • 06-07-2005 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Just got this e-mail sent to me, please find the contents below tell as many peoples as possible!!!!!!

PETROL PRICES ~ TIME TO STAND UP AND FIGHT BACK!!!!

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN IRELAND DID NOT PURCHASE A
    DROP OF PETROL FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES
    WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES. AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE
    ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION POUNDS WHICH AFFECTS
    THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE JULY 14TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR BEHIND
    "DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF IRELAND SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF PETROL
    THAT DAY. THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO
    AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS GOVERNMENT TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT
    GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES
    THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED A FORTNIGHT AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF PETROL GOING UP BUT AT THE
    SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES
    ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT
    IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL
    SUPPLIES ETC.

WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY,
    WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD.

FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE JULY 14TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE
    REPUBLIC OF IRELAND SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The price of petrol rises and falls in response to the world's economy and the availability of crude oil. Currently, there is a wee bit of a crisis in the East. Getting everyone to stop buying petrol cause it is a "rip-off" is a bit of a silly approach to the whole problem.

Mind you, I'm not condoning the petrol prices. I'm just saying that maybe this is one area that is somewhat out of our influence. The best thing we can do is shop around for petrol, and force the local over-charging stations to come into line with their cheaper neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exactly where's the rip off?

The current price hike is down to two factors both outside our control - 60 dollar barrel and euro slipping against the dollar by about 5% in the last few weeks.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, its oil prices causing this, not petrol stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

petrol is bought in a 35c per litre according to my mate who manages a petrol station, so selling it for near 3 times that is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

How much does a burger costing 3.50 cost to make?
    20c? 50?

Plus if the cost of your burger goes up you can be sure it's not because the cost
    of ketchup has geopolitical repercussions.

Petrol is not where the motorist is being ripped off; it's cheaper than in Britain, or France or most other european countries. VRT on top of VAT however.

You're over-simplifying the situation. Not buying petrol for day means people get stuck on the the side of the road, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

petrol is bought in a 35c per litre according to my mate who manages a petrol station, so selling it for near 3 times that is a rip off.
    How much is added in taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tauren wrote:

It's hardly that simple. I've always heard that there are very tight margins in petrol retailing and that most of the profit tends to come from the forecourt shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED

but nobody will take the credit ;)

How about using your bike / walking more to take down your fuel bills?

I know it's a mad idea!!!

Again - im not for the high price im just not stupid.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

wait until VRT is abolished over the coming years. Petrol will creep up to around €1.50 a litre (UK prices). lost revenue has to come from somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

If there was to be any boycott of petrol stations (for whatever reasons), I reckon it'd make more sense to boycott one particular petrol company, ALL of the time.

At a certain point in time, they'd have to drop their prices if no one was buying from them.

Which would then lead to the others dropping their prices because of the competition on price.

But what are the chances of having the whole country boycotting a particular brand for 3-4 weeks or more to cause this to happen?

We complain a lot about stuff, but something as easy as this would never be done because I reckon, despite the complaining, people don't really care enough. (Something along just liking the sound of their own voices???)

• Advertisement

scargill wrote:
    wait until VRT is abolished over the coming years. Petrol will creep up to around €1.50 a litre (UK prices). lost revenue has to come from somewhere.

As they were discussing from yesterday on the last word this will probobly come from an 'eco tax'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Genghis

Garages make about 1-2c per litre of fuel sold. The rest is accounted for by taxes and oil companies.

As for the campaign ... yeah, its gonna happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

most of the profit tends to come from the forecourt shops.
    I'm sure it does. One of the most irritating things with irish forecourt shops is the practice of either (a). not displaying the price of an item or (b). displaying the price of an item at the opposite end of the shelf that its displayed on - so that it would take ten minutes to find..
    On the petrol end of things, checking out irishfuelprices.com from time to time and shopping around is the best approach to take.

We might as well take this as a warning.
    Petrol is up because oil is up.
    Oil is running out - so naturally it's price will increase.
    The more Oil we use the less there is so we might as well get used of high prices for fuel. If they come down it will only be for the short term - they WILL eventually permanently sky rocket.

Start looking for ways to use less fuel and it will cost you less regardless of how high it goes a the pump......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

The text, semantics and tone of the first post reveals the the author of the artical was
    (a) American
    (b) writing about America

Use of the terms "TRUCKING COMPANIES" and "ARAB NATIONS" coupled with the mistake of assume we still use the pound and complaining about airline prices makes for a poor cut and paste job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Vinneyboy wrote:
    IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN IRELAND DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF PETROL FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES. AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION POUNDS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

1) Pounds, in Ireland, in 2005 ????

2) 3.5 million ppl, or whatever it is, will cost over 4 billion pounds in one day....meaning that every man woman and child pays over 1000 pounds each and every day on fuel.

The word 'toss' springs to mind.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Think ill fill my tank on the 14th and take advantage of a nice empty forcourt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Stekelly wrote:
    Think ill fill my tank on the 14th and take advantage of a nice empty forcourt :D
    Agreed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭JohnC.

kasintahan wrote:
    The text, semantics and tone of the first post reveals the the author of the artical was
    (a) American
    (b) writing about America

Use of the terms "TRUCKING COMPANIES" and "ARAB NATIONS" coupled with the mistake of assume we still use the pound and complaining about airline prices makes for a poor cut and paste job.
    I have also seen the exact same letter, except with UK instead of Ireland. It's just one of those things which get circulated, with minor variations for different countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Nairam

At the moment we pay € 1.42 for a liter of unleaded in the Netherlands, so you have it a lot better than we do.
    The taxes makes it this expensive (I heard it was about 75% of the price).

In the USA the price is a lot lower but they need a lot more for their big, overpoluting cars.
    And they complane as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

I am not advertising here, however as Tesco's supply the cheapest Petrol/Diesel.

I reckon we should all go there for it if possible. I fill up once a week, when doing the shopping or dropping the kid off to work.

The garages will soon lower their prices to reasonable levels when they start losing custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have seen this happen in Coleraine, where I am from. They come in with the cheap petrol and take a lot of business. Then you find that over time the difference between Tesco and the other place gets less, not because the other stations lower their prices but because the tesco price starts to creep up. Then you will find the prices are the same but tesco occasionally do a "spend £40 and get 4p of a liter of petrol."

Enjoy it while it lasts.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

You're calling for... erm, what, precisely? A demand that the oil-producing nations produce more oil? What on earth are you going to do when they laugh in your face? People drive too much anyway; part of the reason we're becoming a US-style nation of wobblebottoms. Resign yourself to the fact that oil is not getting cheaper any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

This 1-day boycott was a joke - right? It wasn't a serious suggestion, surely.

Do you think it makes any difference to the oil companies whether you buy your petrol on the 13th July or 14th July or 15th July? A 1-day boycott won't impact them in the slightest. If you want to hit back at the oil companies, use less petrol and/or start getting price sensitive - check out who has the cheapest price and buy your petrol there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭JohnC.

MrPudding wrote:
    I have seen this happen in Coleraine, where I am from. They come in with the cheap petrol and take a lot of business. Then you find that over time the difference between Tesco and the other place gets less, not because the other stations lower their prices but because the tesco price starts to creep up. Then you will find the prices are the same but tesco occasionally do a "spend £40 and get 4p of a liter of petrol."
    Partly because of this, I bought my petrol at Tesco Waterford today. It has been around for a while and is still 4c cheaper than where I normally get it, which itself seems to be the cheapest this side of the city. The only trouble is that Tesco is at the wrong side of the city for me, so it is normally awkward for me to go out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 awadhwa

Nairam wrote:
    At the moment we pay € 1.42 for a liter of unleaded in the Netherlands, so you have it a lot better than we do.
    The taxes makes it this expensive (I heard it was about 75% of the price).

In the USA the price is a lot lower but they need a lot more for their big, overpoluting cars.
    And they complane as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Incidentally petrol is cheaper in the US because it is a lower octane fuel also - here the standard is 95Octane whereas in the US it is 87Octane!!

Anyway, they also buy twice as much as any other country on this planet!

What is the opinion about the Texaco petrol price hike to €1.21 from midnight tonight?

Others will follow suit.

Did anyone see that Royal Ducth Shell reported a 26% rise in profits - hmmm very interesting.

Last but not least - I have seen some people say that the oil prices are being dictated by the crude prices but the $60 a barrel that is bought today will not arrive at your local filling station for the best part of a year and as for the Euro weakening - we never saw the benefit of the Euro strengthening in the past 2 years did we?

My €0.02 worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭shamalive

awadhwa wrote:
    Incidentally petrol is cheaper in the US because it is a lower octane fuel also - here the standard is 95Octane whereas in the US it is 87Octane!!

Anyway, they also buy twice as much as any other country on this planet!

What is the opinion about the Texaco petrol price hike to €1.21 from midnight tonight?

Others will follow suit.

Did anyone see that Royal Ducth Shell reported a 26% rise in profits - hmmm very interesting.

Last but not least - I have seen some people say that the oil prices are being dictated by the crude prices but the $60 a barrel that is bought today will not arrive at your local filling station for the best part of a year and as for the Euro weakening - we never saw the benefit of the Euro strengthening in the past 2 years did we?

My €0.02 worth!

This instant reaction on the forecourt to market rises overnight anyway is utter crap.
    These companies have their supplies hedged months in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 awadhwa

shamalive wrote:
    This instant reaction on the forecourt to market rises overnight anyway is utter crap.
    These companies have their supplies hedged months in advance.

I know exactly what you mean - these corporations are quick to pass on price hikes even though the crude they purchase today will not show up for a year as petorl(or hwatever length of time it is) but they are not so quick in lowering prices as they fall are they?

Advertisement