Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Keeping

Options
  • 04-07-2005 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

I want to do a book keeping course, I found a place called Kilroys college, but are their diplomas woth anything?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They wouldnt be as recognised as established qualifications.

If you would like to get in to this area,Did you think maybe of doing the an accounting technician course? it is internationally recognised is not expensive to do and is offered by distance elarning or evening courses over 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Try www.iati.ie for an evening college close to you. It's a well recognised qualification and quite popular with employers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Your local vec will probably run book keeping evening courses,they will not be certified but will give you an introduction.
    If you are currently working in the area they might sponsor you to do the 2 year IATI course,the fees are not expensive but you also need to be working in a relevent job to gain your qualification.
    www.scd.ie I knoe run both courses,might be owrth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Zsuzso71

I want to do a book keeping course, I found a place called Kilroys college, but are their diplomas woth anything?

Hi, did you do the Kilroy's course?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 QueenieB

Started the book-keeping but promptly sent back the materials as they were completely inadequate for home study. Didn't want to fight with them so changed to Self-Employed Accounting and Taxation. Dreadful waste of time and money. The notes are 10 years old. The "excellent" textbook is from 1983 and the UK. Spent all my time teaching myself on the internet. The tutor told me to get a Leaving Cert book when I asked for help. Thought I was going to get the promised "one-on-one" tuition promised in the prospectus. On top of that then, I discover that they accredit themselves so the qualification is worthless. So disappointed to have an Irish company deliver such shoddy courses. Will go to Open University next time. At least that way, I get quality and a qualification for my time and money. I checked out the queries and social forums on the Kilroys website which are so dated. I am not the only one who cannot make any sense out of their extremely short and inadequate notes. Also, I suspect the testimonials as being disingenuous. I sent in a complaint and am still waiting for a reply from the Director of Studies! As they stand, I would not recommend them to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old McGroin

@ QueenieB

So glad I found this thread, I'm looking for a good distance learning course and Kilroy's Book-Keeping course caught my eye! I'll steer well clear on your advice.

Cheers buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 QueenieB

Since my last post, I discovered that the local community college is presenting the Accounting Technician course (IATI) and I'm delighted. It costs €700 which can be spread out over an agreed time, which helps the pocket big time. Also, for self-study, I found a great book "Business Accounting 1" by Frank Woods. It explains everything so well with loads of exercises for practice. It is laid out for students in a college course but don't let that put you off. It is very comprehensive and assumes no prior knowledge. Not sure how much it costs because someone gave it to me. Also, UKOpenCollege send out a sample lesson in bookkeeping which is excellent. Hope that helps someone!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old McGroin

joniy88ME wrote: »
    They wouldnt be as recognised as established qualifications.Nc7Osd
    lgUx
    clickthru.cgi?id=paul87st

Hi joniy88ME,

What wouldn't be recognised as established qualifications?

Advertisement