Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to donegal town

Options
  • 29-06-2005 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to Donegal town next week, Any suggestions for evening activities or places to eat.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm not over familiar with Donegal Town and the only place I can think off is "Biddy's" which is a few miles out the Ballybofey road. If you dont know it, well it is an old country type pub and refurbished but still with flagged floor and open hearth in public bar.

If you want to take in the local scenery the best time to go there would be around 7 or 8 in the evening and then have a nice relaxing drink (or 7) in the bar.

Wouldn't really say it's appealing if you are on your own but great for a couple of people together.

I think they might have a little bit of music at the weekends but not sure

They also serve soup, sandwiches etc and very good it is too.

Lovely location with fantastic scenery at the edge of Barnesmore gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pubs try the castle for a quiet pint, then theres the voyage (young crowd) star bar and the schooner ask at wherever your staying oh alos doms near the tourist office, also the abbey has a disco and late bar you can usually drink to 5am.
    posher restaurants
    eating out of town you've ard na breatha and the the italian (la bella donna) on bridge street (my favourite) shapla curry house in the main carpark and a chinese a couple of doors away, thai in the central hotel gets good feedback not eaten there meself also uyou could risk the abbey hotel.

cheaper eats doms (again) and the harbour across the road

eat in and takeaways 4 lanterns, and the chipper, abrekebabra

takeway only chinese.

also early evening and lunches tonis, the blueberry, doms again

if you want a nice lunch try the craft village on the road from town to the bypass in the ballyshannon direction

lots of stuff has opened recently so you should find something you like

got to http://www.donegaltown.ie and click on food and drink on the left hand side

enjoy your stay - i wouldn't want to live anywhere else so i'm probably biased

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nedoo

If you have a bit of cash, like seafood and there is some romance in the air, there is a great restaurant between Donegal and Killebegs called Castle Murray. St Johns Point is a bit out of the way but well worth the effort. They have also funky little rooms if you want to get pissed there and stay. Their bar, as small as it is, won a black and white award. Well worth a visit.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think ednwireland has it well summed up.

If you like Italian food, like him, try La Bella Donna, some fantastic food in there.

For more ordinary food, I recommend The Harbour Restaurant, great food and not too expensive.

There is a Chinese restaurant and 2 more Chinese take-aways! The Central Hotel also has a Thai restaurant.

If clubbing is your game, you're stuck with Sky in the Abbey Hotel, which during the summer is on Thursday to Sunday night (Sunday night disco's start this weekend). Also there's a disco bar upstairs above Abbey's main bar.

As for pubs there's definitely no shortage! If you start at Dom's Pier One, and work your way around the whole town, finishing in McCafferty's you'll be well oiled!! :D

During the daytime, assuming tide is in you could go for a spin on the Donegal WaterBus around the coast, or visit the castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Better late than never! Here's some suggestions:

I agree with Byte, the Italian place is really good, if you like pesto they do a mean pesto pasta, and their pizza is really good too. The Harbour is decent and inexpensive for both lunch & dinner. Dom's usually has a decent cavery on the weekend for brunch. Also, the Village Tavern in Mountcharles has some really great grub, and has a nice bar for a pint.

For lunch try the Blueberry on Bridge Street or Dolittle's on Waterloo place.

For more pricey places, Harvey's Point and Castle Murray are well worth a trip. Both for the food and for the views.

Usually, when I'm in Donegal Town I just go out drinking, so can't comment on the "clubs". But, the Castle does a nice pint, and a new bar opened at Bridge End called the Forge (head over the bridge going to Killybegs and the pub is on the street to the right). Also, McCafferty's is worth a vist, it's wile small, but on a cold night sit by the fire and enjoy a pinta. There are tonnes of other pubs, if you want to risk it start and Schooners and work your way down the town! :D

• Advertisement
    byte

bettlebrox wrote:
    Better late than never! Here's some suggestions:

I agree with Byte, the Italian place is really good, if you like pesto they do a mean pesto pasta, and their pizza is really good too. The Harbour is decent and inexpensive for both lunch & dinner. Dom's usually has a decent cavery on the weekend for brunch. Also, the Village Tavern in Mountcharles has some really great grub, and has a nice bar for a pint.

For lunch try the Blueberry on Bridge Street or Dolittle's on Waterloo place.

For more pricey places, Harvey's Point and Castle Murray are well worth a trip. Both for the food and for the views.

Usually, when I'm in Donegal Town I just go out drinking, so can't comment on the "clubs". But, the Castle does a nice pint, and a new bar opened at Bridge End called the Forge (head over the bridge going to Killybegs and the pub is on the street to the right). Also, McCafferty's is worth a vist, it's wile small, but on a cold night sit by the fire and enjoy a pinta. There are tonnes of other pubs, if you want to risk it start and Schooners and work your way down the town! :D
    If you're going to the Blueberry, I recommend the quiche! NYOM! :)

Yes, the Forge is a good wee spot. And funny enough, without fail I usually wander into McCaffertys' for a bevvy!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

byte wrote:
    And funny enough, without fail I usually wander into McCaffertys' for a bevvy!

Maybe see U in there for a pinta! :)

Last time I was in there Sean wasn't looking too good and some young 'un was pouring nasty pints (which is unusual for McCaffertys).

byte

Oh, well Sean is still battling on! :)

Great spot for the occasional bevvy!

Advertisement