Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever get wisdom teeth out?

Options
  • 23-06-2005 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

I have to get two of mine out and im told its not pleasent to put it mildly.
    I'd love to know anyone's experiences who had theirs out and just how bad is it really.

I also haven't got any dental insurance and i was thinking of joining Vhi for the year to pay for it, Any ideas on this would be welcome too. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Hi, there's a pretty big and recent thread on wisdom tooth extractions here.
    For what it's worth I got mine out about ten years ago. It could not be termed "pleasant" but it was not really bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Got two out recently. The lower ones are the worst ones. I wouldn't get a general anesthetic because I don't trust them. I got one out at a time. The first was easy. He numbed me with about 4 bloody injections and cut away the gum over the tooth and around it. He then reached in and just ripped it out. The tearing sound is a bit disconcerting as is watching him stitch you up. I bled a bit that day.

I was on painkillers for the rest of the week and went back to work the following day. Bad mistake. Get a note for the week off. You'll need it.

2nd tooth was a right bitch. It was growing sideways into the other tooth. Same procedure. Numbed me, cut out the gums around it and then cut the tooth into bits and wedged them out. The sound and vibrations really sucked. I bled an awful lot too but that's because he cut away so much gum. The following day my face swelled way up and was like that for the week and I had some black and blue on my face.

Unfortunately it is two weeks later now and the wound has gotten infected so I'm on stronger anti-biotics and off drink for another 2 weeks. It will be worth it in the end though as I was getting a lot of infections due to the teeth cutting my gums.

As for health insurance. I'd join Bupa. Now and then they will offer you coverage within six months. Ring, get some details from them and then wait maybe 3-4weeks and see will they ring and offer you this. That's what happened to me when I first joined.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had all 4 out about 15 years ago under general anaesthetic. Into hospital on Thursday morning, out Friday morning, back in work Monday, absolutely no bother - no swelling and very little pain. I know I was extremely lucky and others haven't been so fortunate, but it isn't always a horror story.

As for health insurance, if you've already been told you need them out VHI class this as a "pre-existing condition" and won't cover it. Don't know about BUPA, but I'd guess they're the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

damien.m wrote:
    Got two out recently.

Yeah, I was reading your post in the other thread. I was wondering how the extraction of the "sideways tooth" went. I think that's relatively common with wisdoms. I think they call them "impacted". I went to the dentist on Wednesday with what I thought was a toothache but he said the teeth were fine. I was relieved but I seem to have swollen lymph glands in my neck and they are affecting the nerves of a molar at the back. Never got this before — bloody annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

There's nothing worse than the smell of a tooth being burned with a diamond-tip drill.

As other's have said bottom row are the worst, especially if they're impacted. Better out than in though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

i apparently am supposed to get all of my wisdom teeth out...they seem to be growing backwards..god knows how that happened...i think im going to stick it out though..maybe they'll decide to grow properly (yup im clutching at straws..)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I got my first gum infection about four months ago and boy was it painfull!
    The dentist told me i need the two bottom out, He even tried to book me in there and then but i declined as that was the first time i had been to the dentist EVER! I have no fillings and never had any other problems with my teeth so i decided i'd wait and see. He also told me that i'd get more infections and they would be worse each time, And he was spot on.

Im taking antibiotics that i had left over and they kill the infection off after a few days before it gets really bad. The dentist (Tom O'Connor in Dun Laoghaire) said i would need to go into hospital as he doesnt normally do it his surgery.

I was going to take out dental insurance now and by the time the extraction time comes around they couldn't say it is a "pre-existing condition" could they?

I also heard of some people getting their jaw dislocated during the procedure, But im not sure how true this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I was drugged up during the whole experience so I didn't feel a thing. I wouldn't worry about it.

Self-prescribing antibiotics is a bad move on your part, especially when you don't have enough supply to run the course....the next infection you get will be worse than the last and will take longer to get rid of becuase the bacteria will have developed a semi-tolerance to whatever you're using (Flagyl?)

As for the jaw dislocation...pretty sure that's an urban myth...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I got my first gum infection about four months ago and boy was it painfull! The dentist told me i need the two bottom out, He even tried to book me in there and then...

I was going to take out dental insurance now and by the time the extraction time comes around they couldn't say it is a "pre-existing condition" could they?

Not trying to be funny or anything, but read the first part of what you posted, and then the second part. You were told you needed them out before signing up to VHI, so that makes it a pre-existing condition. If you were told 10 years ago they needed to come out they could, and possibly would, argue that it's a pre-existing condition. Talk to your dentist about what he might be able to do as I'm sure he's had this situation crop up before.

Never heard about the dislocated jaw thing, but anything's possible I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

zaph wrote:
    Not trying to be funny or anything, but read the first part of what you posted, and then the second part. You were told you needed them out before signing up to VHI, so that makes it a pre-existing condition. If you were told 10 years ago they needed to come out they could, and possibly would, argue that it's a pre-existing condition. Talk to your dentist about what he might be able to do as I'm sure he's had this situation crop up before.

Never heard about the dislocated jaw thing, but anything's possible I suppose.

Im not sure the in's and out's but i presume you dont tell Vhi that you knew about the need to get them removed.

I know its stupid taking bits and pieces of antibiotics but when you remember the pain of the infection previous you just want it gone, But i take your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

one of my upper wisdom teeth was rotten and I had it out a few months ago. Hadn't been to a dentist in years (which explains why I had a rotten tooth in my head). It was out in under 5 mins. The most odd sensation ever... A strong twisting & pulling feeling and then a mouthful of blood. Talk about pain relief. I'd gotten so used to the pain of having the tooth in that I was in a state of bliss for a few days without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i seem to have 2 growing right now one on the top right, at the back, its really sharp and the other on the bottom left at the back, they were sore for a while but ar'nt now
    the top one feels like it grew at the back where your gum turns up to go into the jaw.

Ill live with them though, although im 19 is that late for wisdom teeth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

19 is early to be honest, an awful lot of people are in mid 20s if not older before they get pulled.

i had my 4 done in one foul swoop almost 2 years ago! god bless pain killers is all ill say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 neady

A butcher extracted one of my wisdom teeth (well his certs on the wall said he was a dentist but im convinced he was a butcher). He broke my jaw!!! Make sure you go into hospital to get your teeth done. The butcher couldn't get a proper grip on my tooth (this was after cutting away my gum and the tooth next to it) so he had to break the tooth in my mouth and take it out piece by piece!! Agony!! Well he broke my jaw in the process and i was drinking Yop from a straw for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had two out about a year ago, upper right and lower left. Upper right was cutting into the side of my mouth and lower left was impacted.

It was surprisingly the easiest thing I've ever experienced. I got dosed up on anaesthetic, then he just used a thing called a luxator (?) to cut down between the gum and tooth. AFAIK it severs the connective tissue, after which the tooth slides out easily with a bit of a tug. I think he had to snap one of the teeth in two, but other than the sound, it was fine.

I did get the bottom gum stitched as it was a big wound, but they both healed well. I got them done on a Thursday, but I had to take the Friday off work, as I was feeling a bit bruised, even though the dentist had been excellent. Because mine were on opposite sides of my mouth, I couldn't eat for a while either.

neady wrote:
    A butcher extracted one of my wisdom teeth (well his certs on the wall said he was a dentist but im convinced he was a butcher). He broke my jaw!!! Make sure you go into hospital to get your teeth done. The butcher couldn't get a proper grip on my tooth (this was after cutting away my gum and the tooth next to it) so he had to break the tooth in my mouth and take it out piece by piece!! Agony!! Well he broke my jaw in the process and i was drinking Yop from a straw for weeks.

Holy sh*t. I hope you sued the **** for every penny he had. Few things worse than a wired up jaw for 6 weeks and not being able to get drunk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

Can you not be knocked out completly for this procedure as I have been advised by my dentist, one more infection and its coming out. I was praying I could be knocked out for it lol.

lilulila wrote:
    Can you not be knocked out completly for this procedure as I have been advised by my dentist, one more infection and its coming out. I was praying I could be knocked out for it lol.

You can go for general anaesthetic but it has to be in a day ward in a hospital...obviously if you're paying for it, this will multiply the cost somewhat...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

lilulila wrote:

There is always a risk when going under general anaesthetic. Remember that woman who died getting a facelift in NY. The chance is slim but it exists. Try to get it done under local if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

i had mine taken out under general anestetic - and it was fine! The bottom ones were impacted under my jaw bones so he had to cut the teeth up into small pieces to get them out..They took the top ones out too so i wouldn't bite into the stitches.! I don't think I would have been comfortable being awake for it! Don't worry about being all brusied etc - times have changed!

Advertisement