Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Few Questions From An International Student

Options
  • 15-06-2005 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

As an international student I’m pretty confused about most things in Trinity, and I have a few questions that I would love if you guys answered.

1) Is there an Internet connection in Trinity Hall? I'm completely addicted to the Internet, so I'm crossing my fingers.
    2) What's the food like in the Buttery or the Pav? Any good? How much does a typical dinner cost?
    3) Is it worth getting a monthly bus/Luas pass to go back and forth from Trinity Hall, or should I just pay as I go?
    4) It doesn't mention in my Trinity prospectus whether a room is guaranteed to an International student. (Something I probably should have caught onto earlier...) Do most international students get dorms?

Thanks for answering my annoying questions.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

1) trinity halls have internet connection, 100mb afaik
    2) the pav serves stuff like burgers and chips, not the best in lunches,
    the buttery is so-so, some days you can get a dodgy meal, adverage lunch costs around €4-5 euro

3. Get the Weekly pass, cost €15.50 and you can Use every bus during the day for the week. there is a monthly luas and bus ticket, but i'm not sure how much it is.

4) altho a room is NOT Guatanteed, you have a much better chance getting a room if your from outside Dublin.

hope that helps, feel free to ask anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

The Buttery food is okay, you can't go wrong with sausage, beans and chips for €3.35 (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Or the Student Special with veg & potato/two salads for €3.50 in the Dining Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

mmm, mystery meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

1) Is there an Internet connection in Trinity Hall? I'm completely addicted to the Internet, so I'm crossing my fingers.
    2) What's the food like in the Buttery or the Pav? Any good? How much does a typical dinner cost?
    3) Is it worth getting a monthly bus/Luas pass to go back and forth from Trinity Hall, or should I just pay as I go?
    4) It doesn't mention in my Trinity prospectus whether a room is guaranteed to an International student. (Something I probably should have caught onto earlier...) Do most international students get dorms?

1)Yes, answered

2)The Buttery? It's crap. Really rubbish. It's cheap and it'll serve as a stopgap, but you'd be much better getting food elsewhere in town (only a 5 min walk) for roughly the same price. The Pav isn't too bad, but it tends to be more of the soup-and-sandwich type than anything else.

3)Going for passes is usually the best option. Although if you've got 12 hour weeks and you're the type that likes a lie-in some mornings..you can weigh it up when you get settled in. You won't save that much by getting monthly/weekly passes though, unfortunately.

4)Afaik, there's a certain number of rooms set aside for International and Erasmus/Socrates students. On checking the accommodation pages, they say 110. You can get more info here:

http://www.tcd.ie/Accommodation/overseas.htm
    http://www.tcd.ie/Junior_Dean/rooms-continuing.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Most international students get accomodation - and commonly in college campus rather than Trinity Halls. I would however recommend trinity halls over the main campus in first year as you get to know more people. Main campus is more studious and ironically isolated than Trinity Halls.

Regarding bus passes - they are only significantly cheaper if you need to take more than one bus or going the full distance, which you do not really from Trinity Halls. However there is convenience of not queueing and also not needing to carry a pocket full of change to fit the exact change machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

And also regarding internet access - remember it is firewalled and proxied on the college network meaning no P2P for speedier downloads, IRC chat and multiplayer games. this is annoying. You are also somewhat restricted regarding chat software and some other connectivity applications........

its a shame coz the speed is great, but why your own gaff with broadband is better....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Shadowlands

oh thanks for all the speedy replies!

i don't suppose that anyone gets campus accomdation for the whole four years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Campus accommadation is seriously limited for the number of students...sadly so compared to US universities. If you're a 4 year student you'll be in Trinity Hall for first year, 1 year visiting students are mixed between main campus and Trinity Hall.

Some second years get Trinity Hall as well, it all depends on supply and demand. The only people guaranteed to get accommadation for 4 years are students with special needs, there are accessible rooms in the main campus, etc.

A lot of Trinity Hallers will end up getting apartments with friends they make in Halls for 2nd year onwards. Dublin has lots of rental accommadation.

If you like cycling it's a short journey between Trinity Hall and the campus, and there's lots of space for bikes on both.

College catering isn't great, but as a lot of the other posters have said - it can fill a gap. There's no pre paid meal plans like US colleges have, so you can wander into the Buttery, see if you like the look of anything and if none of it appeals turn around and head outside the campus - there are lots of places within a few minutes walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Sisu

Yes, in the modern buildings, as the other responses have said, but not in Cunningham House, which is where a lot of international students live. Furthermore, there are currently no functioning public access computers in Hall.

If internet access is important to you, you must apply for a modern room in Hall or campus accommodation.

• Advertisement

cuckoo wrote:
    If you like cycling it's a short journey between Trinity Hall and the campus, and there's lots of space for bikes on both.

That was going to be my point. Get a bike, tis good for keeping you fit (and quicker then the bus into town in the morning. Luas may vary)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Sisu

i don't suppose that anyone gets campus accomdation for the whole four years?
    ... only if you get the schol exam in second year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

30 Day Luas passes work out cheaper than buying single tickets if you use it everyday. Also means you can take it multiple times a day (if you've a large break during the day you'd be able to get to Halls quickly to allow you to go back to bed or whatever). I'm in the same travel zone as halls and the pass is well worth the money.

Advertisement