Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal towpath - more anti-cycling measures

Options
  • 14-06-2005 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭

I use a tiny portion of the Royal Canal towpath in Blanchardstown, between the Castleknock train station and the Twelveth Lock Pub.

A few months ago Waterways Ireland added one of those annoying swinging gates.
    Thankfully there was a 2 foot wide space on the canal side to allow me to slowly cycle past without having to dismount.
    Last week they added a bracket to block off this route but could not give me a reason for the change.

I have been onto Waterways Ireland *many* times over the last few years enquiring ('complaining' in some peoples' eyes) about cycling facilities and their frequent anti-cycling changes (adding swinging gates and downgrading surfaces).
    They admitted that the towpaths are not maintained with cyclists in mind, despite the fact that they are a great traffic-free route between Ashtown and Phibsborough.

The 'downgrading surfaces' I refer to was the change of the surface between Ashtown and Ratoath Road from a nice fast smooth tarmac one to one with a sand-coloured one made up of loose material. Waterways Ireland could not tell me who authorised the change and the reason for it.

These actions all make me feel like a 3rd or 4th class citizen. Rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

hmm, i'm not familiar with the route. What is the surface used for?
    By the sounds of it, it isn't suited for pedestrians either. Can someone push a pram over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The surface ranges from poor to decent tarmac between Ashtown train station and Drumcondra Road. It is all suitable for pedestrians, the main 'client's of Waterways Ireland.
    The loose material near Ashtown *looks* nice but is not good for cyclists. I had to stop to avoid a dog a while back and was lucky that I wasn't travelling too fast. I got a shock at the lack of traction. It's fine as long as you don't have to stop quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'd keep complaining a few more times - including a strongly worded letter to both Waterways and Fingal Council.

Failing that - wouldn't it be a shame if it mysteriously got de-hinged and fell in the canal...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They oddly "fear" that cyclists will interfere with wildlife. It's quite misguided as (a) pedestrians and loiters are much more likely to do this (b) cyclists provide better passive supervision than pedestrians.

I wonder if a Freddom of Information request about who ordered the surface change might be appropriate.

I wonder if the need planning permission / some sort of approval seeing as the canals are conservastion areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Victor wrote:
    They oddly "fear" that cyclists will interfere with wildlife.
    Mmm, could be. I would assume that cyclists are like me - just want to get to the destination - no stopping!

In 2003 there was a swan, protecting its young, that would be intimidating, spreading the wings as I passed. I would speed up to pass him. It was wildlife trying to interfere with the cyclists.

Victor - thanks for the FOI idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

daymobrew wrote: »
    I use a tiny portion of the Royal Canal towpath in Blanchardstown, between the Castleknock train station and the Twelveth Lock Pub.

Im familiar with that pathway. Its actually very dangerous to cycle past that gate as under the bridge its very narrow. Maybe thats why its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Zombie thread :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

LOCKED, ZOMBIE THREAD

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement