Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Media Center 2005 - EPG for Irish TV

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

Did any one see PClive's article this month mentioning the EPG works just fine in ireland with rte etc, HA, & I mean HA!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hey thanks Adey - I uninstalled PowerDVD and installed WindDVD and it seems that is working, though I did install the NVidia Decoder trial before that but this just gave a decoder error (it wouldnt even let me see the error text). I'm not 100% sure3 that its working as I can't get the STB working but I could see the STB picture in the insent screen in setup and I didn't get the IR Hardware error.

But its changing the channel on the STB when I try to change the channel in the setup screen. Looking on the web I've come across mentions of a need for a red-eye remote translator but I would've thought that was only for older STBs. I've got a new NTL Pace DV3 STB. Is it a red-eye translator I need or could this be caused by a dodgy IR emitter port on my IR receiver device? I already had to buy a RGB to s-video converter to get a good picture so I don't want the hassle of sending back the IR receiver or buying a new translator if its not needed.

So I'm trying to get myself setup with just plain old NTL analogue cable for the time being but I don't even think thats working cos I set it to download the guide but its just been showing 'Connecting to Internet' for the past 20 minutes. All this hassle with it is really starting to make me wonder why I bothered and it would want to be damn good to justify all this hassle when I do get it setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I know Graham has the new(er) NTL STB and he got it to work OK, I'm not sure if there is a newer one again. I have the older NTL STB and that also works OK, so I don't think you need red-eye remote translator.

It sounds like your current problem is down to the PC not being able to connect to the internet at all. Have you tried just using IE to browse to a site?

It is a pain in the ar$e to setup, but once it is setup it's excellent so I would stick at it (it took Graham and me 4 days solidly at it to get mine setup, most of the problems were caused by the decoder though, so you're nearly there!).

I ended up having to re-install this weekend after doing the rollup. Went with Powerdvd this time and had it all setup in a couple of hours.

Are you in Dublin?

Hey Adey- yeh I'm in Dublin.

I tried it again this morning and it worked (even though my computer was definitely connected to the web last night). It downloaded the guide in a couple of minutes and then did a scan for channels.

Oh yeh, this is on the normal NTL analogue by the way (i.e. I've left my NTL STB disconnected at the moment as I just want to get it up and running so that if I have to send off for other hardware to get NTL Digital working then I'll at least have the basic service running in the meantime).

So it downloaded about 13 channels I think. Didn't have time to really look but I was able to go in and assign a guide to RTE1 and this worked just fine. I'll go through it and assign the remaining channels tonight.

A couple of channels did show up twice, or with poor signal though - how do I remove channels and fine tune others?

So that's the guide sorted, but I really want to get NTL Digital setup - could it be that the connection on my IR emitter is the problem as its not as tight as the other port?

Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Hi there,

You can remove the extra channels in the settings for TV.

I think that you can have only one service connected, i.e. either the analouge or S-video, or Composite conenction on your tuner. MCE won't switch between the connections. (as far as I know)

My MCE remote came with two little transmitters for changing STB's channels. I've also got the little pace NTL box, I've thought that I'd set it up using scart out on NTL to S-Video in on the tuner, and then use the transmitter to change the channels.

But at the moment I'm happy with the analouge, MCE is a pain to get working right but excellent when it's done.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

hshortt: I think that you can have only one service connected, i.e. either the analouge or S-video, or Composite conenction on your tuner. MCE won't switch between the connections. (as far as I know)

That's a shame.. I have a Sky Digibox, that I hoped I might be able to use in tandem with the NTL analog signal to pick up a few extra channels, i.e. BBC3,4, etc... Anyone know of any work-arounds?

After roll-up 2 (and the subsequent patch), NTL analog works like a dream...Picked up 18 channels (two of which were repeats). Many were unknown, but a quick fiddle with the channel guide associations, and they came up trumps..

I use an nVidia fx5200, and the Power DVD decoder gave very poor live TV performance.. The picture was very blurred. So I installed the nVidia 30-day trial decoder, and the picture is now as good as the original NTL analog reception. Maybe it's the best solution for nVidia-based cards.

One question: I normally use a co-ax splitter on the NTL analog cable, but if I use this with MCE, the TV reception is crap. Do you think a signal booster might help? Any recommend a signal booster?

Howard - I only have one service installed at the moment: I have it hooked up to NTL analogue and have completely disconnected the NTL Digital STB.

This will keep me going for a few days but I really want to get it hooked up to digital as I want the extra channels and better picture setup before I move onto my next project: installing the two HP Extenders I picked up in the states for €120 each cos they had tiny scratches on them.

I also have the two little IR emitters though I can't get them to work - not sure if its a dodgy connection on one of the emitters or a compatibility issue with the NTL remote though.

Krusty - I'm clueless on it but if there is a workaround that'll sort you out it'll be on http://www.avforums or http://www.thegreenbutton.com though theyre not the most responsive forums for non-standard questions.

The AV sections on avforums should be able to recommend you a signal booster (though am I right in thinking that if you get the digital STB going you won't need it - an extra incentive to get it going so??), or you could try Peats or Maplins

Hi Frank, thanks for the suggestions.. I've been monitoring those forums for a while now.. No, I'll still need the booster, as the STB is only for a couple of channels - most of my channels come from the analog NTL signal... I got rid of my Sky sub, so now only use the Sky digibox/sat. for the couple of extra channels that are free to view, such as the extra BBCs..

I'm currently using a cheap 2-way splitter, and this seems to be causing the problem.. The poor reception when split, seems to get amplified by MCE, however, when I don't split the signal, the reception on MCE is perfect...

Think I'll go visit Peats and Maplins as suggested.. They seem to have a couple of suitable offerings..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Frank,

I've sent you a pm with a suggestion to get your NTL digital working . . .

BTW: If anyone's having trouble with their S3 Standby and Wake-up, here's a great post from The Green Button on how to get this working, and troubleshoot any problems you may be having:
    http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=50&MessageID=89473

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 prechaun

Prechaun – there should not be any compatibility issues with Xbox extender, though there are a lot of bad reviews on them. Xbox 360 sounds like it’ll be a lot better, in the meantime I bought two HP extenders when in the states (half price cos of minute scratches) and will be setting these up soon and will post my experience with them. I might have one to sell as I really don’t need 4 MCE locations in my house, and I’ll be getting an Xbox 360 early through a contact. I’ll post here if I have it to sell.

AGHHHHHHHHH!!! I got my xbox extender today............who told me there wouldn't be any compatibility issues! It doesn't work. When i put the disk into the xbox i get an error saying that the disk is from the wrong region! What am i gonna do now? I got it on ebay! Any advice anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Right after a long period i am going to Setup my New Mce System.... Problem is i cant get the the tv to show in mce setup i am connectin it via comp video....via my Digi box....but it wont pick it up? Anybody ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Try installing a different decoder, that's usually the cause of the no picture thing. Most decoders have trial versions available for download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Right after a long period i am going to Setup my New Mce System.... Problem is i cant get the the tv to show in mce setup i am connectin it via comp video....via my Digi box....but it wont pick it up? Anybody ?

Do you have the cable coming though an adaptor into your TV tuner or a scart->composite cable I found that nothing [for me at least] worked with going though an adaptor and had to get a cable with the proper connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Conlai

Hi,
    I've set my MCE 2005 PC. Everything is working great untill I got in NTL. I'm in Ratoath Co Meath and have just got in the NTL MMDS digital. The thing is I can't get the TV card to pick up the signal from the STB. It connects to the TV tru scart but when I output tru coax I get nothing. And it's the same when I connect to the PC. Has anyone set this up before and if so how did you get it working. Thanks for any pointers you can give me.

Advertisement