Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kerrymum

Lovely writer wishing you a speedy return to the boards! See your absence brought me out of hiding :o!!! Great to see the newsletter ty Mikehn! : )

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

kerrymum wrote: »
    Lovely writer wishing you a speedy return to the boards! See your absence brought me out of hiding :o!!! Great to see the newsletter ty Mikehn! : )

Good luck & Best wishes for a speedy & uneventful full recovery.

{ And, ' Viva Espana '. My sympathy to Holanda.}

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

I am now back At my computer and I think my e-mail is working again.

I would like to thank all the people for their good wishes. I would also like to thank mikenm for posting the newsletter during my absence. I suppose under the circumstances it could be considered a blood substitution.

I would also like to remind boroman that as of now as far as I know Cork are the only county left who could still win both the hurling and football All Ireland this year as they did before. (Is there any other county that achieved that in the same year?)

Now if only the weather would improve

Newsletters for the last three weeks

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mooring

having recently seen a film about the black and tans 'The valley of Knockanure'. It got me interested in the people involved but can find little info on the internet about them, there was a reference toone of those involved Paddy Dalton on this thread some time back which brought me to here. would anyone on this thread have any info on the events or people involved as I would like to research it more its a mooving story or is the film liberal with the truth. looking forward to any replies. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

mooring wrote: »
    having recently seen a film about the black and tans 'The valley of Knockanure'. It got me interested in the people involved but can find little info on the internet about them, there was a reference toone of those involved Paddy Dalton on this thread some time back which brought me to here. would anyone on this thread have any info on the events or people involved as I would like to research it more its a mooving story or is the film liberal with the truth. looking forward to any replies. Thanks.

Try your local library for "Listowel and its vicinity" or "Kerry's Fighting Story."
    I'm sure you'll get plenty information there.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

The Valley of Knockanure.
    Along with the publications already mentioned I would also recommend that you can
    read a first hand account by Con Dee ( the only survivor of the carnage of that day).
    This was included in the 1958 publication of The Shannonside Annual, page 13. I am sure that there is a reference copy of this publication at the Listowel and Tralee library’s.
    The Shannonside Annual was the brainchild of a group of people from Asdee known as the Asdee Tostal Committee who were headed by Father C. o Keeffe. It was first published in 1956 and each subsequent year until its demise in 1960. Copies of the Annuals are now regarded as collector’s items and are rightly treasured.

Memories of Kerry vs. Down, Listowel May 15th 1960

The All Ireland Quarter Final clash between Kerry and Down takes place in Dublin on next Saturday July 31st
    Memories of their first meeting at senior level are still fresh in my memory. This match was played in Listowel fifty long years ago. Subsequent to a refurbishment of the Listowel Sports field in 1960, the committee in charge under the Chairmanship of Frank Sheehy decided to have a grand reopening on May 15th with the Kerry seniors, both hurling and football invited to participate, the pairings selected in opposition were in hurling, Cork county champions, the renowned Glen Rovers, who at this time contained half the county team and of course the maestro himself, Christy Ring, a draw on his own. For the football the committee must have peered into the “magic mirror” as the team chosen was a relative unknown at the time down south, the Down senior team, however success in winning the 1959 prestigious Wembley Tournament in which they beat Derry in the semi final and Galway in the final by two points put the team in the headlines for the first time. Following this they won Ulster for the first time, only to fall to Galway in the All Ireland semi- final. Kerry you will recall beat Dublin in the second semi –final and then went on, captained by Mick o Connell to defeat Galway in the final.
    When plans for the opening were been finalised the committee made contact with “one of our own” Maurice Hayes ( son of Listowel native Margaret Nugent and grandson of Maurice Nugent, first coach builder for the Lartigue Railway) who at the time was secretary of the Down County Board, Maurice a far seeing administrator, at once realised the value of the invitation to play the then current All Ireland champions in their own backyard and the experience it would bring to a still fledging team with an average age of 23. Also invited to join the weekend festivities were the renowned Artane Boys Band, the band who were hosted for the weekend by various families in the town headlined a packed concert held at the Super Ballroom on the previous night.
    The weekend was a memorable one, eleven thousand paying customers thronged the terraces and as Junior Griffin once pointed out to me, most of these had taken up vantage points long before the curtain raiser (the hurling match) had begun, in order to see Christy Ring playing. Kerry had a comprehensive win in the football, if my memory serves me right John Dowling of Tralee (grand father of the present young Kerry star Barry John Keane) scored three goals out of a total of five.
    As I previously mentioned the trip south to Listowel was part of that young team’s learning curve and by the end of September the students had become the masters when they defeated Kerry to become the first team to take the Sam Maguire over the border before a crowd of 88,000 by 2gls 10 pts to 8 pts.
    Fogra;
    Invited to participate in the then annual tournament at Listowel was a pointer to a possible All Ireland finalist or winner as Down were Sam Maguire winners in 1960/1961. On May 28th 1961, Roscommon played and were All Ireland Finalists vs. Kerry in 1962, Dublin were visitors to Listowel in May 1963 and you know what, they beat Galway to win the All Ireland the following September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mooring

Thank you Granville & Boroman for your help but as I am not local to Kerry your references are good but not for me. maybe ye could direct me to family members of the Daltons, Lyons or Walshs ( Who share my surname) I have recently become interested in war of Independance / civil war events and would like to compile more knowledge as we approach the 90th anniversiary of such events .
    Thank you for your help though.

I have been reading old posts on this thread, Listowel seems quite a wonderful place withsuch a great community spirit congrats to everyone envolved, wish Iand my neighbours could be as proud of my own homeplace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

mooring wrote: »
    Thank you Granville & Boroman for your help but as I am not local to Kerry your references are good but not for me. maybe ye could direct me to family members of the Daltons, Lyons or Walshs ( Who share my surname) I have recently become interested in war of Independance / civil war events and would like to compile more knowledge as we approach the 90th anniversiary of such events .
    Thank you for your help though.

I have been reading old posts on this thread, Listowel seems quite a wonderful place withsuch a great community spirit congrats to everyone envolved, wish Iand my neighbours could be as proud of my own homeplace.

As long as you live in the country you can access the books I mention. Many county libraries carry copies of "Listowel and its vicinity" and "Kerry's Fighting Story".
    Borrowbooks.ie is the place to check out if your local library has what you want or they can order it for you from another library if it isn't a reference only book. Its an excellent resource. I've even had material photocopied from reference books and sent to me free of charge.

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Listowel Through A Lens is now reduced to clear.

Why not visit

http://www.lovelylistowel.ie/

and bag yourself a bargain while stocks last.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

has anyone else noticed the serious rise in anti social behaviour around listowel lately.
    there seems to be a dramatic rise in the amount of burglaries and also there was a lot of cars broken into,there was one stolen and burnt out last week.
    what bothers me is that there doesnt seem to be anyone geting arrested for these crimes.its certainly worrying!

Church newsletter

34MarysingsatJohnBs.jpg

53VincentatBarrackdoor.jpg

A very interesting Literary Tour of Listowel took place on Sunday June 6th 2010 in association with Writers Week. Tour guide, readers and singer for the day included Vincent Carmody, Mary Cogan, Mary Moylan, Paddy Fitzgibbon, Paddy Keane and Tom Dillon.
    The tour which was beautifully recorded and filmed for posterity by John Lynch and Charlie Nolan halted at the various locations where readings took place.
    The first was at the former home of the infamous George Sandes where Vincent summarised Sandes life.
    Mary Cogan was up next and she spoke of the famous O Rahilly family from the steps of their former home in the Square.
    It then moved to the front of the Shebeen Bar where Mary Cogan and Vincent regaled the audience with a story and reading of the life and times of Listowel’s blind poet and newspaper correspondent D.C.Hennessy.
    Paddy Fitzgibbon then gave a most humorous self penned story from outside his old home.
    The next reading was performed by Paddy Keane outside the gateway of the old market place. The piece which Paddy choose was from Bryan Mc Mahon’s “The Storyman” and it recounted an episode from the early life of the towns’ famous wordsmith.
    Then it was back to Glounaphuca where Vincent spoke outside the ancestral home of the Hollywood and cinematic great Mary Pickford.
    Paddy Keane then read from Sean Ashes “The place we call the Gleann”
    The next stop was appropriately at the car park which overlooks both the river and racecourse and with the vista of a horserace in progress and a meandering river, Mary Moylan then gave an appreciative audience a beautiful rendering of “My Silver River Feale”.
    Next up again was the lovely Mary Moylan, this time outside John Bs where she sang “Quilty” from “Many Young Men of Twenty”.
    Following this it moved on to the former home of the Cuthbertson printing family and Vincent gave a history of the family’s time in the town.
    This was followed by a visit to the site of the former home of Tim. Enright at the rear of St. Patricks Hall, here Vincent spoke of this sometimes forgotten Gaelic scholar who has contributed to the Blasket Island lore with some translations.
    Returning to Charles Street where a stop was made to honour Thomas F. O Sullivan, journalist and historian.
    In Courthouse Road, Mary Cogan did a reading from the work of Luai O Murchu, first Chairman of Writers Week.
    In Church Street, Sheamus Wilmot and his cousin Joseph O Connor were remembered with readings by Paddy Keane, while Vincent read a poem by Salmon Roche.
    This was followed by a reading on the steps of the Garda Station on the history of “The Listowel Mutiny”
    After this Vincent gave a brief outline on Pat McAuliffe, the plasterwork craftsman, and then Thomas Dillon read John Bs “The Street”
    As the tour was finishing Mary Moylan sang the renowned “Town of Listowel” from the doorstep of the Mc Mahon old home and then Vincent finished with memories of Flavins bookshop.

This great value CD which in time will surely become a collector’s item can be ordered from,

Vincent Carmody,
    25 Patrick Street,
    Listowel.

Copies suitable for USA and Canada cost $20, P&P included,
    All others, 15 euro, P&P included.

Church Newsletter

Just to correct a mistake in my last post, Literary Tour of Listowel is 'of course' a DVD and NOT a CD
    boroman wrote: »
    A very interesting Literary Tour of Listowel took place on Sunday June 6th 2010 in association with Writers Week. Tour guide, readers and singer for the day included Vincent Carmody, Mary Cogan, Mary Moylan, Paddy Fitzgibbon, Paddy Keane and Tom Dillon.
    The tour which was beautifully recorded and filmed for posterity by John Lynch and Charlie Nolan halted at the various locations where readings took place.
    The first was at the former home of the infamous George Sandes where Vincent summarised Sandes life.
    Mary Cogan was up next and she spoke of the famous O Rahilly family from the steps of their former home in the Square.
    It then moved to the front of the Shebeen Bar where Mary Cogan and Vincent regaled the audience with a story and reading of the life and times of Listowel’s blind poet and newspaper correspondent D.C.Hennessy.
    Paddy Fitzgibbon then gave a most humorous self penned story from outside his old home.
    The next reading was performed by Paddy Keane outside the gateway of the old market place. The piece which Paddy choose was from Bryan Mc Mahon’s “The Storyman” and it recounted an episode from the early life of the towns’ famous wordsmith.
    Then it was back to Glounaphuca where Vincent spoke outside the ancestral home of the Hollywood and cinematic great Mary Pickford.
    Paddy Keane then read from Sean Ashes “The place we call the Gleann”
    The next stop was appropriately at the car park which overlooks both the river and racecourse and with the vista of a horserace in progress and a meandering river, Mary Moylan then gave an appreciative audience a beautiful rendering of “My Silver River Feale”.
    Next up again was the lovely Mary Moylan, this time outside John Bs where she sang “Quilty” from “Many Young Men of Twenty”.
    Following this it moved on to the former home of the Cuthbertson printing family and Vincent gave a history of the family’s time in the town.
    This was followed by a visit to the site of the former home of Tim. Enright at the rear of St. Patricks Hall, here Vincent spoke of this sometimes forgotten Gaelic scholar who has contributed to the Blasket Island lore with some translations.
    Returning to Charles Street where a stop was made to honour Thomas F. O Sullivan, journalist and historian.
    In Courthouse Road, Mary Cogan did a reading from the work of Luai O Murchu, first Chairman of Writers Week.
    In Church Street, Sheamus Wilmot and his cousin Joseph O Connor were remembered with readings by Paddy Keane, while Vincent read a poem by Salmon Roche.
    This was followed by a reading on the steps of the Garda Station on the history of “The Listowel Mutiny”
    After this Vincent gave a brief outline on Pat McAuliffe, the plasterwork craftsman, and then Thomas Dillon read John Bs “The Street”
    As the tour was finishing Mary Moylan sang the renowned “Town of Listowel” from the doorstep of the Mc Mahon old home and then Vincent finished with memories of Flavins bookshop.

This great value DVD which in time will surely become a collector’s item can be ordered from,

Vincent Carmody,
    25 Patrick Street,
    Listowel.

Copies suitable for USA and Canada cost $20, P&P included,
    All others, 15 euro, P&P included.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Boroman,
    See you for the races.
    Save me a DVD

Pintman

• Advertisement

Church Newsletter

Boroman,
    See you for the races.
    Save me a DVD

Pintman

Well worth the viewing.

A copy of the USA/Canada version of DVDs " Bliain Dar Saol " & " The Literary Tour Listowel 6th. June 2010 " kindly & generously provided me by Noreen Horgan-Lynch & John. Much Thanks.

Nice to note too that John Lynch's informative, interesting, creative, visually stunning, etc. videos are now readily available ( to locals, to us ex-pats, to furure generations) through Vincent Carmody's good offices.

It was great--as always--to see old a new friends in Dublin & Listowel....and the weather behaved for these recent three weeks that I spent in Ireland!.

Wonderful to see Ireland in good spirits despite the times.

'... parting is such sweet sorrow, That I shall say good night [ for now] till it be morrow [ & a somewhat similar time next year.]

Church newsletter

Church newsletter

I apologise for the second version.

Anyone who noticed that it was called 23rd Sunday rather than the 22nd Sunday is very observant

34MarysingsatJohnBs.jpg

53VincentatBarrackdoor.jpg

Kindly keep up posted in text & photos re the goings on during the Races.

Church Newsletter

Church Newsletter

Listowel Races
    The 2010 meeting is now a day old, already we have seen sign’s hopefully of another successful week, yesterday’s card at the Island was sponsored by Kerry Group and tote figures were up on last years first day.
    Granddad duties confined me to Birds amusements at the town park, there was a great crowd here and its amazing how many hurdy gurdys are fitted into such a small area. Some of the rides are really stomach churning, a far cry from the chair o planes and swinging boats of our beloved yesteryears in the market. During last night walkabout and mini pub crawl most places were doing a brisk business, Christy had live outdoor music and food up at his corner, must say he is a great organiser. Last Saturday evening I met up with “price of the pint” and have promised to join with him on a visit to some of the lesser known watering holes as the week progresses. Going down to the funeral mass of the late Mona Ryan yesterday morning who did I meet but my old school buddy and great friend “Listowel 8” , he had flown in from the Big Apple on Saturday with his beautiful bride Mary and their children Patrick and Kerry, hopefully together we will be backing a few winners during the week.
    It’s now 10am and I am going over to take my traditional stroll around the course during which I can reminisce on our favourite anthem,
    “Beyond on the course there was silk flashing past,
    The unfortunate nag that I backed he was last,
    When he ran the wrong way sure I lost my control,
    And I prayed for the Trainer and Lovely Listowel”

I finish with the words of Prince Monolulu, “I gotta horse, I gotta horse”

:D

Taken today outside Griffin's Butcher Shop (old Post Office).

• Advertisement

Taken in The Square today.

Advertisement