Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letshost.ie ??

Options
  • 27-05-2005 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I was going to get some webspace from this crowd www.letshost.ie

it all looks very good. too good. its seems excellent value for money.
    heres the problem they have 2 phone numbers on there website and they are from differnet parts of dublin. nobody ever answers the phones they always go to an answer machine for copa internet services. plus the address on the website is only a mailbox.

this is sending alarm bells ringing for me, but has anybody used this crowd at all?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

is the hosting for something serious?
    try asking in the hosting forum, (if its still there)
    you could also check to see who else they host

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

no its not important, its just the giving out my CC details which is bothering me. they do mention the sites they host already but i doubt them a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Letshost is tranding under COPA Internet Services Limited.
    This is listed on Cro.ie: http://www.cro.ie/search/Resultse.asp?number=381378&BI=C so they are legitimate alright but if they don't answer their phones then i wouldn't go with them. What happens if something goes wrong with Credit card transaction, what if you can't get support?
    Keep away from them id say to be honest. I would anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

Stuey,

I've just gone with them and it all seems good so far.
    If you drop them a message from their 'contact us' page you'll get a quick reply.
    I did last week, and got a reply within ten minutes that answered all my questions and supplied me with the mobile number of the guy that's running the place.
    I've called him a few times since on this number with no problems.
    The phones on the website aren't manned fulltime but that's why it's so cheap.
    After much deliberation I decided to go with them. The offer is excellent plus they are a registered company so you're taking as much of a chance with them as you are with any other company.
    Send them a message with all your questions and request a mobile contact number. The guys name is Graeme and he's been very helpful.

Sorry,

Forgot to mention, I didn't like the idea of giving out my credit card details too, but they accept cheque/postal order/bank draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

This sort of sounds too good to be true €115 for 2yrs

Whats the connection like... max dl rates an all?
    service quality ?

The service has been good so far.
    You get 99GB bandwidth in a month (not sure if that answers your question)
    The servers are based in Texas, so I suppose that'll be a put off to a lot of people.
    I checked the sites they use in their testimonials and the speed was quite good for me.
    But it was the cheapest offer I found of Irish providers and is as cheap as going through a US based provider.
    A mate is doing a Web Development course and he says that the price is right.
    For a comparison have a look at this - http://www.cdi.ie/web-hosting.html
    Ian's the guy running this company, he's contactable from the numbers at the website, the servers he uses are UK based.
    What swung me to Letshost was the disk space they offered, I know I'll probably never use it, but it's nice to have the choice.

Its quite a good offer alright.
    The thing I like the most is that you can contact somebody easily and that its Irish.

I'm currently with a Boston based company, I get 3gb storage, unlimited bandwidth and a free domain name for life (while I'm with them). You can only host one domain and only get 1sql database which I dont like seen as I'm just starting to learn php/sql and its limiting me.
    Its pretty good for

$95.40
    €75.88

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

kjt wrote:
    unlimited bandwidth

There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth.
    Anybody who tries selling you that is lying or flying by the seat of their pants.

KJT,

Have you found that you're using the 3GB?

• Advertisement

Its unlimited depending on the sort of site you have. Clearly if your a file hosting site or a big user of pictures an all.

No I only really set it up and havent been using it much due to exams an all. But on my last account I was using about 1.5Gb

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LetsHost

I came across this thread, and want to answer the questions raised.

We do not have staff sitting waiting on the phone to ring. This is quite simply because we would have to pay someone to wait on phone calls and this would (at least) double the hosting charges. I issue my mobile phone number to anyone that wants it and encourage people to call me.

Regarding credit cards, I fully understand why some people might not want to give their card details on a website. If a charge ever appears on your credit card statement that is invalid, you can issue a chargeback, which would refund your money and result in hefty bank processing charges for the merchant. This applies to all charges, and the process is no different for LetsHost or any other hosting provider or company. Most Credit card companies also guarantee against fraudulent use on the internet.

LetsHost also offers PayPal as a payment option also, which means we never see your card details. Giving your credit card details to us is no different to giving them to any other hosting company.

Technical Support is available though a ticketing system on the website. Once a ticket is raised a pager message is sent to our technical resources (one of 2 people). Tickets are usually responded to within 30 minutes, and the issue resolved. I also issue a mobile number to all customers, and encourage them to call me about any issue.

The web servers are located in the EV1 data centre in Houston, Texas. Our servers are new Dell Xeons with dual 3.2ghz processors, 2Gb Ram and SCSI hard disks. The network consists of 18 Gigabit Ethernet backbone connections to the internet plus one OC-3 link and one DS-3 link. We also have our own dedicated non-internet facing backup server taking nightly backups for every account. We have never had any issues with speed or performace, and we offer a 30 day money back guarantee for any reason (domain names cannot be refunded). The server space used on our "full" has 79% capacity, and the server bandwidth limits are not even approaching 10% of what we have available, so the our bandwidth and space offer is completely controlled and managed. You can test the d/l speed of the server we have for new accounts by going to http://speedtest.letshost.ie - a small sample of our currently hosted sites can be found here: http://www.letshost.ie/weblinks/IrishWebSites.html

In addition to all that, we advertise our server uptime on the website. We use an independant monitoring company (Alertra.com) to monitor, alert and advertise our server availability. Clicking on the Alertra icon on the left of the website will display our server availability stats.

If there is anything I have missed, or any other questions, please post, PM me or send a mail through the www.LetsHost.ie website, and I will answer them.

Graeme Conkie
    Managing Director
    Copa Internet Services Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

sounds good! competition in this business is always welcome, nice speed too ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

as frustrating as phone support is its better to have it but if it is as good as it looks well then great service

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

LetsHost wrote:
    I came across this thread, and want to answer the questions raised.

We do not have staff sitting waiting on the phone to ring. This is quite simply because we would have to pay someone to wait on phone calls and this would (at least) double the hosting charges. I issue my mobile phone number to anyone that wants it and encourage people to call me.

If there is anything I have missed, or any other questions, please post, PM me or send a mail through the www.LetsHost.ie website, and I will answer them.

Graeme Conkie
    Managing Director
    Copa Internet Services Ltd

Wish you all the success in the future

maybe when you get big enough you'll be able to employ a techi to sit on a chair for the day ;)
    Good luck with it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Our prices are "real", and not inflated like other Irish hosting companies who are profiteering

Providing support and local servers is hardly profiteering :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Our prices are "real", and not inflated like other Irish hosting companies who are profiteering

Providing support and local servers is hardly profiteering :):)

how do you mean "real" are other peoples' prices not real?
    and
    who's profiteering?

Fionn wrote:
    how do you mean "real" are other peoples' prices not real?
    and
    who's profiteering?

That was a quote from the letshost.ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

ok i had looked all over the thread and couldn't figure out where the comment was coming from!
    I hadn't looked at their web site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

is it against the law to make a profit this days? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

keep on topic please... a hosting rant will be short-lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭terbo

After reading this forum about letshost.ie i contacted them with many questions
    Everyone was answered excellently.
    i have since taken an account with them and thier service is the best you could possibly wish for.i even transfered another site over to them, well i didnt graham at letshost done it for me.
    the control panel they have makes everything so easy.installing phpbb boards is a breeze as is costomising them.
    if ya need a host look no further!!!!
    and no im not connected with letshost.ie in anyway at all
    just a very very satisified customer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Stevebyrne

I bought 2 .eu domains and would like to get them up and running, my problem is i'm new at this so am not sure which or what company to go with, letshost.ie is looking good, but I need to know will they be able to host my 2 domain names. I would like each domain to have it own address in the address bar. Is this possible or would I have to pay for two hosting accounts.

your help would be greatful
    Thanks.. Stevebyrne

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If you want the same site to appear for either .eu address then only one hosting account is needed. You can map or park the second .eu to the first .eu address.

If you want separate sites for each .eu then two hosting accounts would be required.

irlrobins wrote:
    If you want separate sites for each .eu then two hosting accounts would be required.

That would depend on the hosting provider. Quite a few providers offer multi-domain hosting.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

I've used pretty much all the hosting companies in Ireland. My experiences with Letshost.ie have been the best by far. I recommend them to people unsure of who to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

sorry to butt in, blacknight do you offer multi domain? I have 2 accounts registered with you at the moment, and i'm gonna need another .ie but no more bandwidth or space that one account currently has.

edit: also to offer something to this thread, the prices arnt really comparible, just be aware that your website wont show in 'pages from ireland' google search, its more like an american host than an irish one.

Heggie - yes. All of our hosting plans allow you to host multiple sites / domains

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

blacknight wrote:
    That would depend on the hosting provider. Quite a few providers offer multi-domain hosting.......
    mine doesn't :(

• Advertisement

As do ours, even our Personal plan at € 3.75 supports 2 unique domain websites and includes a dedicated IP address

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement