Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom Broadband, Bridging, PPPoE

Options
  • 15-05-2005 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi Folks.

I use an OpenBSD 3.5 machine at home as my NAT/Gateway. I was with UTV recently for my DSL connectivity. I used the supplied ethernet DSL modem as a bridge and established my PPPoE session using `ppp`.

I've recently migrated to Smart Telecom DSL and I'm having some difficulty replicating this configuration. Has anyone on the list had any experienced setting up such configuration using Smart ant the supplied modem? The worst of it is I'm not even sure if the supplied ethernet/USB modem configured correctly to allow me to bridge.

The modem is a "Aolynk DR814" and has the usual telnet and web interface. The provided manual didn't mention the telnet interface but I found one here.

"bridge list interfaces" produces the following output:
    Bridge Interfaces:

ID  | Name            | Filter  | Transport  
         |                 | Type    |            
    -----|-----------------|---------|-------------
        1| ethernet        | All     | ethernet        
        2| usb-ethernet    | All     | usb-ethernet    
    -----------------------------------------------

I can provide a detailed PPP log if it would help, I have to admit to not understanding most of what I see there.

my ppp.conf looks like this:
    default:
     set log all 
    # set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command

pppoe:
     set device "!/usr/sbin/pppoe" -i ne3
     set speed sync
     set mtu max 1492
     enable lqr 
     disable acfcomp protocomp
     disable ipv6cp 
     deny acfcomp
     set lqrperiod 5
     set cd 5
     set dial
     set login
     set authname ####### 
     set authkey #######
     delete! default 
     add! default HISADDR
     enable dns
     enable mssfixup

I've sent this mail to Smart support and am awaiting their reply:
    Hi,

I have recently migrated from another DSL provider to Smart DSL and in our setup we use our DSL modem simply as a bridge and establish the PPPoE connection using another computer.

I haven't been able to do this yet with the new modem. I'm not sure if I've turned on bridging. Do you have any information on using the supplied modem in bridge mode?
    I've posted these details on my blog here.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions as this is becoming quite frustrating! I wont feel like my new connection has been installed until it's part of my current setup.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Garfield has been just dying to get a question like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

dub45 wrote:
    Garfield has been just dying to get a question like this :)
    Cliph,

I don't understand the need to replicate your previous setup. The Aolynk is a router, so you don't need to run PPPoE software on one of your machines (as you did on the previous modem).

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Cliph,

I don't understand the need to replicate your previous setup. The Aolynk is a router, so you don't need to run PPPoE software on one of your machines (as you did on the previous modem).

Garfield.
    Spoke with Networks and they provided me with the following text. This solution was tested in the lab today.

The DSL device supplied by Smart Telecom is a router. By default it operates in routed mode, using PPPoE to authenticate the user and allocate the IP address. This works for the vast majority of users, as it removes the need for PPPoE software on their PC. It also performs NAT between the PC(s) on the home LAN, and the public IP address supplied using PPPoE.

If you want to switch the router to a dedicated bridge mode, please carry out the following:

Open your browser to 192.168.1.1
    Select 'WAN Setup' in the left-hand panel
    On the PPPoEup line, select Edit
    Change the VPI/VCI values to anything other than 8/35, click 'Change' at bottom of page
    Select WAN setup in the left-hand panel again
    Click 'Create a new service'
    Ensure the 'PureBridge' radio button is selected
    Click 'Configure' button
    Enter VPI 8, VCI 35
    Click 'Apply'
    You will receive the message : "DHCP server will be disabled after PureBridge connection is created"
    Click OK.
    Select 'Save Config' in the left-hand panel and save the config.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I would think he simply wants to do the routing himself as he has always done. I personally do this both in our offices and at home. In both cases there is a debian box doing the routing/firewalling. We have full control over all aspects including doing IPv6 over the network etc.

Using a standard router box doesn't give the same flexibility.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Cliph

Open your browser to 192.168.1.1
    Select 'WAN Setup' in the left-hand panel
    On the PPPoEup line, select Edit
    Change the VPI/VCI values to anything other than 8/35, click 'Change' at bottom of page
    Select WAN setup in the left-hand panel again
    Click 'Create a new service'
    Ensure the 'PureBridge' radio button is selected
    Click 'Configure' button
    Enter VPI 8, VCI 35
    Click 'Apply'
    You will reveice the message : "DHCP server will be disabled after PureBridge connection is created"
    Click OK.
    Select 'Save Config' in the left-hand panel and save the config.
    Thanks! I'll try that when I get home.
    flamegrill wrote:
    I would think he simply wants to do the routing himself as he has always done.
    What he said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Cliph,

Garfield.

Is the Aolynk wireless? There's one reason why you might need to run it in bridged mode.

penexpers wrote:
    Is the Aolynk wireless? There's one reason why you might need to run it in bridged mode.
    There is a wireless Aolynk router but the one I have isn't.

Thanks to Garfield for his response. I was able to connect last night using my OpenBSD gateway. Hurrah!
    Time for some serious Internetting.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Fair play to Smart for getting an answer to this problem, well done very good customer support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Can anyone explain how to put the aolynk router/modem in bridge mode and use it by plugging into the WAN port of another router? I have a D-link 614+ , can that be used?

the smart router is crashing every couple of hours which is a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

See the fourth post?

Do that, it will put the router into bridged mode.

And I don't see why your D-Link wouldn't work aslong as it supports PPPoE

I put the Aolynk into bridge mode, now how will the D-link be configured to use the aolynk modem? :confused:

The d-link has only 4 lan ports and an Adsl Port (has its own Adsl modem too). Im assuming it connects into a Lan port?

I put the Aolynk into bridge mode, now how will the D-link be configured to use the aolynk modem? :confused:

The d-link has only 4 lan ports and an Adsl Port (has its own Adsl modem too). Im assuming it connects into a Lan port?

are you sure the the link has a build in modem? If it has then you will not need the smart modem but according to the dlink site it does not have a modem :confused:

dub45 wrote:
    are you sure the the link has a build in modem? If it has then you will not need the smart modem but according to the dlink site it does not have a modem :confused:

Sorry, Its actually a D-Link604+ , not a 614 :rolleyes:

Sorry, Its actually a D-Link604+ , not a 614 :rolleyes:

You have a couple of problems here I think. As the dlink has its own modem it probably cannot be used with the Smart one unless it is possible to 'turn off' the modem part of it.

I presume that the unit cannot be uses on its own with Smart as it does not appear to be adsl2 compatible which is the system Smart uses.

Well to my suprise I found out that the Dlink works fine with smart using its own modem , . Its not ADSL2, but it works. Seems ADSL2 is backward compatible with ADSL. Didn`t know that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

I have the adsl2, non wireless, but have a 3com wireless router which I would like to use, what do I need to do... do I need to set up this "bridge" mentioned in the adsl router
    have tried disabling dhcp on the adsl, and setting up the 3com as 192.168.1.2...

any ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Bridge the AoLynk, configure your 3com do to the PPPoE

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

yup, have that working now.. ta very much

Advertisement