Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newpark Auditions

Options
  • 26-04-2005 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Hey just a note if anyones thinking of applying the closing date for the auditions is the 6th of may.

Cheers
    Fusion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I'm so keen I've had my application in since the beginning of April :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Alkali

Hey, thankx Fusion, I applied a few weeks ago. I got mine on the 26th. Hopefully it will all go well. :)

I got to stop playing Tribal Tech stuff and learn some standards... :D

I'm so keen I've had my application in since the beginning of April

Hey Saint, what are you auditioning for?

I'm going for the PMTC, I'm a singer so voice as my first instrument. I got my letter on Tuesday and my audition is on 29th of May... my stomach churns every time I think about it :o

What about you?

I'm going for the PMTC, I'm a singer so voice as my first instrument. I got my letter on Tuesday and my audition is on 29th of May... my stomach churns every time I think about it :o

What about you?

Cool, good luck on it!. Yeah me too.. :p , auditions are always a bit dodgy!

Im auditioning for the LGSM year 1(Piano), but if I dont get that, I hope ill get the PMTC.. :cool:

How long have you been singing? and jazz singing?

Good luck to you too! :)

I've been singing since I could talk! But professionally about 11ish years, since I was in school I guess. I've always chosen American song book stuff, I was in to Ella and Billie before anything else, when I was teenager I digressed into rock and other stuff but in the last 6 or so years I've come back to Jazz... aint nothin better :D

What about you? how long have you been playing piano?

• Advertisement

Thankx :p , cool, so you must be quite good, you should have no problem with the audition, Ella and bilie are great, I didnt really have much of a singing voice but I did end up in the National Children's Choir when I was in primary school :p , I think everyone gets into that rock phase for few years.. :D

Ive been playing piano for about 8 years, with no piano grades, Ive only really started playing jazz about a year ago. Im thinking going to audition for both piano and drums, just in case i dont get in on one, i might get in on the other :o

Sounds good! I know a few people who did the course with Drums as first instrument and found it great.

I only started playing piano last year, I'm learning but slowly. I really like it thought, I'm currently learning Hill Street Blues :o Morto, but it's great!

Cool!, I cant wait to do it, should be fun, ill prob see you in there!. Im currently writting a few jazz tunes at the moe.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Kennington

Alkali wrote:
    Cool!, I cant wait to do it, should be fun, ill prob see you in there!. Im currently writting a few jazz tunes at the moe.. :)

How much does this cost? Im thinkin of applying next year!

They havent said anything about that yet, but i heard its about 2500 E, for the first year and then 2000 E for the next years. Could be wrong though... :o

• Advertisement

Cheers! Gonna try for this next year, I think I could get in, been playin a lot of Jazz stuff on the bass lately especially the almighty Jaco!

Cool, good luck :) , Have you heard of Gary Willis?, I recommend listening to some Tribal Tech... ;)

Kennington wrote:
    Cheers! Gonna try for this next year, I think I could get in, been playin a lot of Jazz stuff on the bass lately especially the almighty Jaco!

Jaco just blows me away. Check out Shadows and light - Joni Mitchell. Jaco on bass and Pat Metheny on guitar... Legendary! The live version is the best!

Jaco just blows me away. Check out Shadows and light - Joni Mitchell. Jaco on bass and Pat Metheny on guitar... Legendary! The live version is the best!

Oh yea thats some amazing stuff alright! Im also a HUGE fan of the mighty Victor Wooten, any of you people like the band hes in? Béla Fleck and the Flecktones?

Kennington wrote:
    Oh yea that's some amazing stuff alright! Im also a HUGE fan of the mighty Victor Wooten, any of you people like the band hes in? Béla Fleck and the Flecktones?
    FREAKY!!! As I'm reading this post I'm listening to Bella Fleck and the flecktones... I got turned on to Bella Fleck about 10 years ago when I was listening to the Maura O'Connell album Western Highway, it isn't that great, but the backing music was amasing and when I looked in to it, it turned out to be Bella... legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Yeah Vic Wooten is amazing, I have a version of him playin Giant Steps with ethir Mike Stern or John Schofield, amazing stuff :d

Fusion
    :cool:

We should all meet up sometime and go to a Jazz gig or something!

Kennington wrote:
    We should all meet up sometime and go to a Jazz gig or something!

That would be cool! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

We should....or you could all come along to the Open Jam on Thursday in The Pale...and bring your instruments....

:cool:

Yea, I think The Pale is a great idea, I was actually thinking about heading in this week if anyone's up for it?

• Advertisement

Sounds great, I would be up for it, do you know if they have a drumkit there? :o

As the audition looms ever closer I'm starting feel a slight pain in my chest and those horrible butterfly’s in the pit of my stomach! God, I wish it was over!!! :(

Dont worry saint about it, im sure you will pass :) , I actually cant wait for my audition! its this saturday :eek:

Alkali wrote:
    Dont worry saint about it, im sure you will pass :) , I actually cant wait for my audition! its this saturday :eek:

Yea, I know what you mean, I am looking forward to it, but with a kind of sick trepidation. Mine is on Sunday at 9.45.... post up on Saturday night and let me know how it went and what they asked you.
    I got some really good tips from someone who did the course a few years ago about questions that they usually ask. Let me know if you want me to post them up for you.

Cheers!!!

Cool good luck, thats early I would never be up at that time :rolleyes: mines at 12:00, sure ill post it up. That would be great any tips would be helpful :) , I know a few people that did it too, they said it wasnt too difficult to get in..

Right, well here are the prep questions that I have :

1. Why do you want to do the course?

2. What are you doing/working at currently?

3. What is your musical experience?

4. What is your musical education?

5. What do you know about the course?

6. What do you think about it and what do you think you'll gain from it

7. How do you plan to finance your self for the year?

Then he said that they usually play some rhythms and ask you to clap them back. Play some major and minor chords and ask you identify them. Ask about augmented and diminished scales/chords. What is a dominant scale, what do you know about modes, that kind of thing.
    And then for singers (me) they play a note and ask you to sing the 3rd or the fifth or the octave or arpeggio or whatever....

Oh you leg-end, good work :) , I didnt know they would ask you about the course and stuff like that, ive been working on my diminished and augmented chords/scales, by clapping out rhythms do you mean, 4/4, 3/4, 7/4, 5/4. Do you know chords well saint?

Well yea, but I don't think they'll say this is 4/4 or what time sig it is, they might just play a sequence on piano or guitar and then ask you to clap it back.
    I know chords pretty well... I'm no expert!

These are all just maybes..... but it can't hurt to go over your stuff...

Ah thats cool, im fairly good with rhythms, chords im ok... but as you said im not expert :p , I wonder is there anyone else on boards doing these auditions?, come on people post! :cool:

• Advertisement

Ah, I don't think they're looking for experts... well hopefully not ;)

Advertisement