Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dust extraction hosing. ( Split from Toolsuppliers.)

Options
  • 20-04-2005 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Anybody know where to some 4" dust extraction hosing, or has anybody used a alternative like Wavin etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

stapeler wrote:
    Hi all
    Anybody know where to some 4" dust extraction hosing, or has anybody used a alternative like Wavin etc?

Depending on how long you need it, you could try some of the vent ducting used for kitchen and bathroom extractor fans. These would be cheap enough and are readily available from Woodies, Atlantic homecare ect. Air conditioning ducting as well would be good. Land drainage pipe would be worth a try, not too sure though if the small perforations would have a major negative effect on extraction power.

Is it for a small single phase extractor or industrial. Hobby or commercial use.

If its for industrial try Mcginns Machinery Dublin, Hightec in Clonee or Fraber, Kilbeggan.

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bitbuilder

Hi,

I was looking for dust extraction hose as well - in the end I think I will use Wavin soil pipe to make runs to each machine and then a small section f hose to connect to the machine. I know you can order it from axminster www.axminster.co.uk and a number of other suppliers in the UK, but I have never found it here - I meant to ask last night when in McQuillans but forgot. I would be skeptical of using the kitchen extractor stuff - it does not seem to be man enough for the job.

BB

I agree if you are looking for something on the permanent side, then kitchen extraction ducting would probably be only suitable for small power tool jobs.

If any of you come across it , please post ,, as I am also looking at providing extraction for my spindle, combi, thicknesser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

McQuillans (Capel Street, Dublin) do sell 4" extraction hosing, so they told me before. However, the guy I spoke to told me it is expensive, and he seemed to wonder why I'd want to buy any. It's a strange place - some good stuff in there, but some of it is expensive in comparison to online prices, and some of the staff can be strange buggers to deal with.

I didn't actually buy any ducting there myself though. From what I have read, soil pipes should be fine, although you'll probably still need flexible ducting on at least one end of a run of pipes I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Thanks all for your inputs, I did try the kitchen ducting but it tends to collapse in on itself. I think I'll try the wavin pipe and get a couple of the flexy pipes from McQuillens.

• Advertisement

What machines are you running extraction for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Kadman
    Running a bandsaw, planar/thicknesser, tablesaw, mortiser and the likes. I've just located some of the 4" flexi chimney pipe which gives a tight bend, I might try that. Also working on the drainage pipe and wrapping it in duct tape.
    I'll post an update leter

Stapeler

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

Kitchen Extractor hose is useless for a woodwork machine like a planner thicknesser etc, record power have a good quality hose, although quite expensive, but also have all accessories to match liek blast gate and tee's. Contact me with your location and I will find out a dealer close to you.
    Regards
    Stanley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

wavin will work, however will build by static electricity and become a fire hazard. try aairex for your ducting

• Registered Users Posts: 2 werchipper

If you need top rate advice on flexible ducting then these guys are in the UK and can easily ship to Ireland (NI & ROI). They're the manufacturer as well so it's in their interests to make sure you get the right gear.

www.masterflex-uk.com

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:D A seven year old post revived ! Here's my tuppence worth. There are two design options, either run flexible 4" hose from each machine or build a fixed duct system like you would find in a Pro workshop. Both have pros and cons.
    The fixed system is more efficient as the walls are smooth and bends can be kept to a minium. I'd opt for metal ducting as its not too expensive and won't build up static electricity.
    For flexible hose, you can choose standard grey or transparent - more expensive but worth it.Again Axminster have a huge range and are efficient retailers to the ROI. Have a look however at www.rockler.com who have some great connectors not available over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 werchipper

Yes having worked in the woodworking industry for 25 years, our professional workshop with edge bankers, cnc panel saws etc. we have a rigid ducting section but the machines are all connected to the rigid duct using flexible ducting......it's a must.

To attach directly to the machine with a rigid section is expensive nonsense, it would cost 1000s instead of 100s every time you wanted to move a machine.

Www.masterflex-UK.com

Advertisement