Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting into Media.

• 06-04-2005 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I'd like to get involved in the media - ideally in television doing research or something along that line. Have no idea about how to get started. I'll soon have an M.A, but its in History, so not really in the related field. Have written some small pieces for the local paper : but thats about as near to media as I have come!
    Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Just look up any local college, plc or Fas courses. I think Communication courses are what your looking for (I think)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

What jimeatsmenu said, and try and get involved more at a local level. It doesn't matter what qualifications you have if you can't show that you're able to apply them. Lucky enough Community TV is getting off the ground in Ireland at the moment (I know Comet TV is based in Coolock, alongside Near FM). There's also a new Dublin channel starting up soon which will probably be looking for volunteers, so keep an eye out for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 emorgan

Thanks guys : know that ye are right about the courses etc but have been in college for 4years and just want a job! Aware that i'll go in at the bottom of the ladder & that the money wont be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Very true, there are loads of community stations in Dublin and around the country. Sure, no pay, but you would gain broadcast experience.

http://www.bci.ie/l_station.html#Community/Community%20Of%20Interest
    Contact info there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thomas.oleary

Im only young and was looking to get into the journalism sector what courses would be best to take?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Im only young and was looking to get into the journalism sector what courses would be best to take?

Well, there are a number of Journalism courses available in Dublin alone, I think there are a few more outside the Capital and one in Belfast too.
    oYou have DCU (3 year degree course), DIT (I think 3 year and includes a language) and Griffith (which involves an annual fee), there is also Colaiste Dhulaigh (2 year Diploma with another 1 year in UK for degree. Degree may soon be available here too). I'm not sure about Ballyfermot, anyone want give details of this, please do.

I study in Colaiste Dhulaigh and am about to finish my second year. The course has its faults (mainly a lack of resources) but also has it's pluses. As its a small group you get to work more directly with tutors than you would normally, you also get to work better in the group, depending on the group! The course also covers most aspects of Journalism excluding Television, so you cover print (news, features, sub editing, page layout etc), online (web design, photo shop) radio (radio documentary and radio feature) as well as other parts such as media industries, professional practice, politics media projects and creative writing.
    I personally have found second year more enjoyable than the first as you get to have a better hands-on approach to media, while 1st year is more text based. One major criticism of the course I would make is the lack of time you have to get your own experience (as in go out and get stories etc).

From what I know of DCU it's a pretty good course, and this allows you to cover pretty much everything I listed above, however you pick specific topics rather than cover them all. this has it's ups and downs as you can focus on what you like and are good at, but you may be forced to miss out on another subject you like, or you may miss out on something you didn't realise you'd like (for example I had no interest in radio before I started in CD, now its what I want to do). They also have news days in there which is exactly what my course needs. It involves the whole class starting at 9 and working until 6 and having to have a paper produced by the end of the day. A great way to learn how a newspaper enviroment would work and a great way to work on stories for yourself.

I instantly have issue with Griffith because its a college based on money rather than ability, but to be fair I know very little about this course. I have heard criticisms saying it's very bias (left wing) and one Indo journalist who went there said parents should save their money and just send their children straight to a tabloid... which is never good!

Can anyone given an information on other media and journalism courses, this might be a decent sticky if we get enough together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭windowgazer

An alternative route into it could be doing it in the evening. If you want to keep a flow of money in you could work in a media-related environment (eg: adminstration, sales etc) and do the Griffith evening course, or any others that are around.
    This year I did just that, but I focused on Print Journalism, I'm finishing up now in the FETAC evening course in Ballyfermot (oly €200 for 22 weeks!) It gives you a good idea about print journalism and there's also a bit of training in QuarkXpress. Most of us have been published over the year. Great thing about it was that I decided it wasn't the career for me and I wouldn't have really known until I did the course.

Regarding the Griffith course, I know a few people who did it and few of them are actually working journalists now. DCU is better for contacts, which is what will get you published ultimately (unfortunately). Oh, and you MUST know how to network if you're going to freelance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

flogen wrote:
    Lucky enough Community TV is getting off the ground in Ireland at the moment (I know Comet TV is based in Coolock, alongside Near FM). There's also a new Dublin channel starting up soon which will probably be looking for volunteers, so keep an eye out for that.

I'm actually the manager of COMET (Community Empowerment Television)

We provide fairly informal training in using cameras and in digital video editing. Eventually COMET will be producing programming for Dublin Community Television on a weekly basis.

NEAR fm (North East Access Radio) runs a fairly comprehensive FETAC certified course every now and then as well. The new studios that NEAR fm have are actually very impressive.

Personally, I've done media courses in both Ballyfermot and Dun Laoghaire. I really didn't think much of either of them though. But it's been a good few years since I was in those colleges, so perhaps things have changed... although most likely they haven't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 saharzie

I would recommend doing a part time course, or a number of them to see whihc area of the media you prefer. I would not recomment Griffith College as I went there and it was an extremely average course.
    If you really want it, you can succeed in the media, you just have to keep badgering people, keep practising and have at least some of the basic skills.
    In reality its not that difficult, at least not in the print medium. I know a lot of talentless people working in the radio sector too (mostly working in research/production).

Dont give up...and be prepared to leave Ireland to get working experience, you will get up the ladder a lot quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's from their 'In Print' book, and not 'On Air' (TV & radio) guide for a career in journalism, but it'll give you an idea of the content of the two books...

10 steps to get that media job...
    http://media.guardian.co.uk/presspublishing/story/0,7495,1343184,00.html
    (you'll need to register for free)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Griffith colleges post grad course in communication's 2 weeks griif fm is great but the course spends the majority of the year centred around sociolgy related subjects which isnt great for graduates who already have studied such subjects while in college.Best bet is to get unpaid work experience while doing it and when you get the chance to do Griff Fm, television project & news days(only practical elelments to the course you will have a better chance of having some good work to show when your finished otherwise the course is a bit of a waste of time and the year would be best spent in OZ. The part-time course should be seriously considered over the full-time also.Concentrate on practical projects as other course work is marked to a foundation level standard compared to how your degree and M.A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Hi Guys, Just looking at this thread and wonder if anyone would have a bit more info. I have a Dip in Marketing and German but am thinking about getting some further qualification and am interested in Journalism. However I am working full time and live in Sligo so basically what I want to know is if anyone knows of any Distance learning courses in Journalism, perferably with a recognised institution, I've been searching on-line for info but have found nothing useful and due to work haven't had the time to look much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Eve e

what I want to know is if anyone knows of any Distance learning courses in Journalism, perferably with a recognised institution, .[/QUOTE]

Kilroys college do one.

Advertisement