Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i-book: Logic Board Failure

Options
  • 31-03-2005 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I bought a new i-book two months ago. Within six weeks the logic board crashed and now has to be replaced. All in all I will be without my mac for close to six weeks before it will be repaired and returned. I have since learned that this was a massive problem for mac about two years ago, and appears to be a continuing problem in the states. I have been speaking to another mac user in Dublin who has a six month old i-book that is now on its fourth logic board, the original and replacements have all had one problem or another.

Above all I found Apple customer service extremely unhelpful on the phone while emails and letters have just been ignored.

Has anyone else had similar problems with their i-book and what sort of a reception did they get from Apple?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

prendema wrote:
    I bought a new i-book two months ago. Within six weeks the logic board crashed and now has to be replaced. All in all I will be without my mac for close to six weeks before it will be repaired and returned. I have since learned that this was a massive problem for mac about two years ago, and appears to be a continuing problem in the states. I have been speaking to another mac user in Dublin who has a six month old i-book that is now on its fourth logic board, the original and replacements have all had one problem or another.

Above all I found Apple customer service extremely unhelpful on the phone while emails and letters have just been ignored.

Has anyone else had similar problems with their i-book and what sort of a reception did they get from Apple?

Pray u have the extended applecare. expect out of warranty repairs to be 600-1000 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 prendema

I do. It would be almost the same price to buy a new i-book which is crazy.

prendema wrote:
    I do. It would be almost the same price to buy a new i-book which is crazy.

could always sell it, apple are popular used, ul get a good price for it.

Thought about that. At this point I think I will get it fixed under warrenty, sell it on, buy a new one and hope the problems don't repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Is that a G3 iBook?

I had a logic-board failure on my G3 iBook back in February. I got it back from repair, only for it to fail again in just over a month. It's being sent back for repair now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

the common fault with the G3 is fixed FOC

lomb, i dont know where you are getting you prices from, but I suggest you do a bit of shopping around for repairs!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

From what I've been seeing on maccy sites, it seems a huge number of G4's have similar issues to the G3's logic board death thats still being replaced FOC at the moment - possible future recall?

Apple aren't having the best of luck with their hardware recently, although its not up to the Powerbook 5300 yet...

My own machine (G4 iBook) has slightly odd issues under OSX only - goes into sleep mode on jerky movement. I use Linux on it almost all the time, as its very damn hard to develop for an OS that uses ELF (BeOS) on one that uses MachO (OSX)....

JustHalf wrote:
    Is that a G3 iBook?

I had a logic-board failure on my G3 iBook back in February. I got it back from repair, only for it to fail again in just over a month. It's being sent back for repair now.

It is - so I can look forward to future failures then!

prendema wrote:

probably so, how long will they fix it free out of waranty, also u lose the use of it for a while each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭nutzboutstuff

myself and my girlfriend have ibooks, mine is almost a year old, very had a days problems with it, i know alot of ibook users, and none of them have had problems with logic boards, even a ibook G3 user who's laptop was recalled, but he was in hong kong at the time and never got around to it, doesn't seem to be a massive problem. I think its just a couple of dodgy batchs. My laptop was bought and made in ireland, my girlfriends was bought in california but made in ireland too, neither have had problem yet, and i hope it stays that way...
    I've it insured under the house policy, some private brokers will do it, but you can be using it for business in any way...

*** After working with electronics for so long, i've learned one thing, everything breaks ***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

prendema wrote:
    How did you buy a new G3 iBook two months ago?

They stopped making them in October 2003.

...from someone who knew it had a problem!

*** Dummer dude you bought a dell! ***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

doesn't seem to be a massive problem
    If you have the problem, it is a massive problem. The video (on both the laptop and external displays) tears, and blinks on and off... either that, or the whole computer just freezes.

You can't even rely on it for SSH in this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Had a problem with my logic board after about 4 or 5 months on my iMac 500mhz too. No problems for years afterwards.

JustHalf wrote:
    If you have the problem, it is a massive problem. The video (on both the laptop and external displays) tears, and blinks on and off... either that, or the whole computer just freezes.

Yah any problem that stops you using your laptop is always a major problem, just remember 99% of all pc laptops come with a problem and its also known as Microsoft Windows. I see it every day, after all i have to look after about 130 windows machines, apart from mine, suse enterprise server 9 :) and my mac of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Yah any problem that stops you using your laptop is always a major problem, just remember 99% of all pc laptops come with a problem and its also known as Microsoft Windows. I see it every day, after all i have to look after about 130 windows machines, apart from mine, suse enterprise server 9 :) and my mac of course...

...you look after 130 machines and 99% of them have problems?... :eek:

Maybe its not the right career for you? :D

i didn't mean like that... the problem is windows... they never give me any grief, and windows xp seems to be alright, but i prefer being able to get a webserver up and running quickly on my machine, i look after numerous other os's too, solaris 8 & 9, redhat, suse, and even a pix...

i didn't mean like that... the problem is windows... they never give me any grief, and windows xp seems to be alright, but i prefer being able to get a webserver up and running quickly on my machine, i look after numerous other os's too, solaris 8 & 9, redhat, suse, and even a pix...

The problem here Apple not Windows. Bad logic boards and Apple crap response to major faults on their systems. This is not isolated to just G3 logic boards. Apple has always had to be dragged screaming to do the right thing with these kind of issues. Another example that comes to mind is the iPod battery. Theres been a load of these issues over the years. They usually get settled by some class action in the US.

...some of them suffer from harddrive noise appearing on audio output, Apple dont deny this but they've never realised a reason or a fix, just suppress it. All company's have problems, but with the mass of R&D apple must do, i'm impressed with the few problems they actually suffer from

...some of them suffer from harddrive noise appearing on audio output, Apple dont deny this but they've never realised a reason or a fix, just suppress it. All company's have problems, but with the mass of R&D apple must do, i'm impressed with the few problems they actually suffer from

I'd be more impressed if they dealt with the issues instead of running away and dumping on the user base. If a company has the balls to do a recall and fix the issues that what impresses me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Another example that comes to mind is the iPod battery. Theres been a load of these issues over the years. They usually get settled by some class action in the US.

I'm still waiting for my battery problem - I have a 1G iPod since shortly after they came out and the battery still runs 4 or 5 hours with fairly constant use. It's been dropped in a puddle, left in the sun and used by my kids. It still works!

Advertisement