Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.s.i.s.s.

Options
  • 15-03-2005 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Firstly, what's the abbreviation stand for? Or is that a means to keep the uninformed away? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

pet you need a little "p" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I know, but I have a big one and I like it that way.

You gotta move on from your capitalisation days! They're holding you back!

Oh and on topic MSISS stands for Management Science and Information Systems Studies -I think...!

DU MSISS Soc Website for you D>A>F>T

That sounds more like a Master's degree or PhD...oh, and website? More like a building site!
    Heading
    Describe a service that your company provides. Include details about this service and prices. Use the bulleted list to highlight important features or restrictions.

Change the picture to one of your own, such as a photo of this service.

Pet wrote:
    That sounds more like a Master's degree or PhD...oh, and website? More like a building site!

Hey! I tried ok! (Google is not my friend :( )

*throws h202 at pet eyes* tee hee hee :D

• Advertisement

*throws h202 at pet eyes*
    My only weakness!

*melts* oohhhh what a world, what a world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

It stands for Management Science and Information Systems Studies.

If you want to find out more contact the Statistics Department as they are responsible for running the course, and if you're lucky an MSISS student might swing by to this thread.

In the meantime, I did engineering, and the MSSIS students shared courses with us in maths and computers for the first two years. They might have been with us for third year maths too. It seemed to me to be a course for people who liked the technology stuff, but wanted to hedge their chances of becoming an accountant or other business type in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

MSISS is as chick said above - my only information on it is a girl in my course who did it and transferred to comp sci - then again she did fail most of it.

Ask boston on here - he does engineering so might know a few MSISS people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

crash_000 wrote:
    MSISS is as chick said above - my only information on it is a girl in my course who did it and transferred to comp sci - then again she did fail most of it.

Ask boston on here - he does engineering so might know a few MSISS people.

She actually did MEMs, Manufacturing engineering and Market studies or something like that, which by all accounts is a very very poor degree, because it's have BESS half Engineering, and the people doing it seem to get ****ed over left right and centre, huge failure rate.

As for M.S.I.S.S, they where and are a tight group that kept themselves to themselves, no more then 20 in the year. Don't know much about them but that where extremely good at maths. They did less of the kinda crappy enginneering stuff we did, and more of the solid stuff. Apart from that I can't tell you anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

they do 2e3 with the engineers don't they? i seem to recall seeing em on the class list somewhere, well above average results iirc....nerdy group?

• Advertisement

Darth Bobo wrote:
    nerdy group?

:eek:

Bully! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Chick wrote:
    :eek:

Bully! :)
    i would be, but the only nerdier group on the list was the maths people ;)

Ha ha!

I'm so giddy today tee hee hee :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i think it's manufactuering engineering and management science but could be wrong. (mems)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

aye, its management

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

i almost did that course, so i'd be interested if someone from it could post about the road not taken...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Interesting that it has taken 4 years ish for an actual MSISS student to post on this thread!

To clear things up, MSISS stands for Management Science & Information Systems Studies. MSISS and MEMS (Manufacturing Engineering with/& Management Science) are not to be confused.

Once graduated you are essentially a Quantitive Analyst which means that you are trained to solve any problem that you come across in the business world. It makes you the graduate highly desirable to employers because you can work effectively in any environment. It had (not sure if it still has) the highest graduate employment rate of all courses in Trinity.

In the Freshman years you study 2 Maths subjects with the Engineers each year as well as Computer Science. In the first year you study Economics and Business with BESS and then do some other subjects just with MSISS, then MSISS and MEMS together.

In the Sophister years you tend to specialize so steer away from the large Engineering and BESS classes.

The course is not easy, I found the maths particularly tough but most find it OK. There is quite a bit of probability and statistics involved and most of the work that you do is in groups. As a result of the group work and the relatively small class size you get to know everyone really well. A previous poster mentioned that the group seems almost cliquey but this is not really the case, it is just that you have many good friends around you.

I would definitely recommend MSISS to people who are on the ball and looking for a highly employable Degree in the best University in the country! But if you want more info you should contact the Department of Statistics and for information on the social side, check out the Dublin University Management Science Society www.dumss.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

This forum has a weird propensity to have really old threads bumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

well in mountain surfer! :D

Advertisement