Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a wireless router

Options
  • 06-03-2005 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Very new to wireless and being thrown in at the deep end.

I need to buy a wireless router for my apartment this week and have no idea what to buy :/

I want something that can be locked down tight as I live in a apartment block.

Can anyone recommend one for me please ?

Also any specific stuff I need to be aware of in regard to wireless security in particular any program I should get ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

3Com OC Wireless Gateway kit 54 Mbps 802.11g (wireless router + USB)

Just bought this recently from Komplett ~ http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304347&cks=SPC

Never even seen a wireless router a month ago and now I have an XBox and 3 PC's (2 wireless and also a laptop when needed) and all using my broadband connection.

Best thing I ever did, the signal around the house is great.

The pack software and route control panel allows you full setup for encryption. You can rename and disable your broadcast SSID and lets you assign only authorised PC's. This means no one can jump onto your connection without them knowing your SSID and also being given authorisation by you.

I'm sure all routers come with similar setup facilities however I fully recommend this router and wireless usb nic package and good value at €88...... the choice will be yours of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks DL ! that sounds perfect for me, will have more or less the same setup as yourself :D

Good info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I got the same one as DL about 2 months back. No complaints :)

Advertisement