Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart employee happy to answer questions on bb rollout

Options
  • 23-02-2005 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

hmmm wrote:
    Personally I couldn't care less about upload speed, it's effing annoying when threads on these forums get hijacked by nitpicking. So there.

I'm disappointed however to see that you are bundling voice and data as an inclusive package. Personally I would like to see an unbundled broadband only package available (I appreciate at a higher cost). I'm not alone in wanting to get rid of a landline and use the mobile for voice exclusively.
    Maybe i'm missing something here, but if you sign up for SMART BB now and are within the first 100K, then you can have the phone line and rental for free, pay for your BB and just not use it for voice calls? wouldn;t that work out the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

ellybabes wrote:
    Maybe i'm missing something here, but if you sign up for SMART BB now and are within the first 100K, then you can have the phone line and rental for free, pay for your BB and just not use it for voice calls? wouldn;t that work out the same?

Exactly. And if you want you can use the upcoming voice over IP telephony services, too.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

hmmm wrote:
    Personally I couldn't care less about upload speed, it's effing annoying when threads on these forums get hijacked by nitpicking. So there.

I'm disappointed however to see that you are bundling voice and data as an inclusive package. Personally I would like to see an unbundled broadband only package available (I appreciate at a higher cost). I'm not alone in wanting to get rid of a landline and use the mobile for voice exclusively.

I don't fully understand your comment ...
    If you get rid of your landline how do you access the service? are you seeking a wireless solution?

Effectively SMART are not charging you for the wireline connection. It would appear that they are offereng excellent value.

I have heard a rumour that Eircom might be considering a one-phone solution. Your mobile phone uses your wireline connection when you are at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

infomat wrote:
    I have heard a rumour that Eircom might be considering a one-phone solution. Your mobile phone uses your wireline connection when you are at home.

Thats a billing kludge and will only work if Eircom get Virtual Operator status on a 2g or 3g network , mobile phones cannot be plugged into landlines as I found out to my cost :)

Garfield. Any chance you could answer my questions on the Telephony aspects of the Smart platform.....even if you have to PM me and let me post it in here <cough> :eek: ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Hi,

The Dolphin's Barn exchange is coming on net over the next few days. Anybody fancy trying it out? There are a couple of caveats, but if you're interested PM me and we can get you on as a tester.

Thanks,

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Hi,

The Dolphin's Barn exchange is coming on net over the next few days. Anybody fancy trying it out? There are a couple of caveats, but if you're interested PM me and we can get you on as a tester.

Thanks,

Garfield.

Woohoo!! That my exchange. I've already signed up for your telephone service but I'm in a 2 month contract with Netsource that I'll have to get out of first. I presume from your post that I could initiate proceduresto cancel that contract now? How long after the exchange comes on line does it become available to the masses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Garfield,
    Can you give any information as regard the Malahide and Portmarnock exchanges?

Thanks
    ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'll test the North Main exchange.. for free! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I know this is blatent whoring on my part. But if you need a tester for the ballyboden exchange. I'm right here. :D

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Thats a billing kludge and will only work if Eircom get Virtual Operator status on a 2g or 3g network , mobile phones cannot be plugged into landlines as I found out to my cost :)

<cough> :eek: ?

Are you saying a one phone solution is not possible? or are you saying that Eircom will not return to the mobile market?

"One Phone Solution" is available in Sweden
    If Eircom are to survive they have to get into the Mobile market and they have a number of options.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

sillild wrote:
    I have asked esat this morning what they are going to do about Smart, with regards to Competition.

They told me

"Please be advised that Esat BT will be launching a new Broadband product on the 9th March which will be the strongest offer available to the Irish Broadband market."

Does anybody know what this is

It's just a cheaper package, no faster speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Wertz wrote:
    *bumped for attention*

Don't see any alterations to the website. Is there a credit card form or not?

I just emailed their support address and had a response a day or two later asking me for a phone number to take credit card details, replied that evening and had a call the following morning for the info. All very straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I havent seen this question answered yet...

Does the free line rental for life apply even if you move house?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sully04 wrote:
    Hey,

I have some questions I hope you can answer, im sorry if they where answered before, I read the whole topic but I could of missed it!

1) I see Waterford is in Phase 2, but does that include County Waterford? Im using UTV (and there really p*ssing me off at the moment) Broadband and Phone Service in Tramore Co. Waterford - your site said it wasnt available but can you let me know of any estimated date it will be around in Tramore?

2) I see people wish higher upload speeds, wouldnt mind them myself either as it would be ideal for me but it doesnt matter! Any ideas yet if these are going to be offered yet?

3) Also notice people want Static IPs - any ideas yet if this is going to be offered?

4) What Modem is "shipped" out with this product?

5) Do I have to use your telephone service aswell as the broadband? Or can I just be with Smart for broadband only and UTV or someone else for the Telephone service?

6) People who use P2P on Smart - What happens to them?

Thanks in advance for your assistance! Your sites not working for me by the way.

- Sully

Bumped for notice.

Also, a friend of mine is living in Fenor, Tramore Co.waterford (just outside Tramore, very very small population compared to Tramore itself - a little village by itself and its 20-30mins from Tramore) claims Smart Telecom called her up and said they would install broadband for them straight away if they went with them.

I thought Waterford wasnt even due connection with Smart untill May/June? And Fenor of all places has been offered broadband? Why is this?

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

I hat etoo say this but all the sales reps seem to part of the same company not smart and eircom just a completely separate company told to get as many sales as possible by telling the people whatever they want to hear. We know of esat and eircom doing this so it looks like Smart are doing it to.
    If it is true then they must be insane putting fibre as you describe it in the middle of nowhere.
    But i would probably say its just sales tactics and when you sign up they would say sorry there is no chance in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

have enough people from Blanchardstown expressed interest for you to bring forward the date for roll out to Blanchardstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

afaik - Blanch isn't even on the list as it is not close to the Smart fibre network

T50 is close to Blanch....Smart have fibre use on T50.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

crawler wrote:

Your phone number xxxxxxxxx is in the exchange BLANCHARDSTOWN. The exchange code is BDTD.
    Unfortunately, Smart Broadband is not yet available to you! The date of availability is yet to be confirmed. Would you like to register your interest anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

opus wrote:
    I just emailed their support address and had a response a day or two later asking me for a phone number to take credit card details, replied that evening and had a call the following morning for the info. All very straight forward.

Are you mental? You gave your cc card number to someone who called you? Get their number and call them! Never give out card details unless you have initiated the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

crawler wrote:

I think the Smart rep said the fibre in blanch is on the wrong side of a big road from the exchange.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dlofnep wrote:
    Nope, we aren't being put on til may/june - That's what it said when I put through my order. I highly doubt Fenor will be enabled before us..

Thats what I would of thought but my friend said Smart would enable them straight away if they joined with them. The offer was also made to a house up the road from me today also, Elm Park. In Tramore.

Seems rather odd!

- Sully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sluice44

There's a post on askaboutmoney, an Irish finance site, that warns that some reps are promising the earth to get you to sign up but all you get is the phone service.

sluice44 wrote:
    There's a post on askaboutmoney, an Irish finance site, that warns that some reps are promising the earth to get you to sign up but all you get is the phone service.

I called Smart on a few issues, one of them was this and they said they knew nothing about the calls from Smart offering quick broadband access!

Other issues:-

The situation with static IP & Higher Upload speeds -- Apparently the slow upload speeds where being offered beacuse Smart was originally for residential but it seems many home-business require faster speeds and a static IP. This is still being discussed internaly, on how much etc.

No Cap or Cap? -- There is no set cap but apparently in Terms & Conditions it says that while Smart offer no cap they do deal with all uses of excessive use (Smart will decide what is excessive themselves) , but they did not say what is exsessive or what will happen if you go over the "limit" as such. Apparently, they are looking into what Eircom set before they started adding caps.

FREE Phone Rental -- Due to new legislation, whilst Eircom own the lines, Smart can maintain and operate the lines so this is how they can offer this. The offer for free phone rental is for life -- but only if you use Smart Broadband. So basicaly, to avail of this special offer, u need to be with Smart for broadband - if you leave, and stick with Smart for calls, you will no longer get free rental.

Exchange Activation -- This does not depend on the size of the town, but depends on the general interest. If a small town has more interest then the larger one, the smaller one gets enabled quicker. The TRAMORE and ANNESTOWN exchange activation is being looked into, I am getting a call back tommrow or later with the date or some responce (also regarding the sudden Smart offers for immediate broadband, the caps and other stuff).

I couldnt think of any more questions, the support rep was unaware that they actually had a rep on these forums and didnt of Garfield.... Ill leave it as that.

- Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

Hey Garfield,
    i live in swords Co. Dublin (SRDD Exchange). The exchange is not enabled yet, and the web site doesn't give any expected date.

I've signed up for the trigger program, but probably can expect to wait several months to hear anything. Can you give any indication as to how the swords exchange is looking for enabling dates?

I presume that in the meantime, in order to get in as a first 100K user and get free line rental (if and when BB becomes available to swords) I would have to sign up for regular Smart residential services, hope I'm in the first 100k (as of now, probably a certainty) and wait for my exchange to be enabled... That the case?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I split the thread to make it easier to read...

Old thread Here

Chief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Chief--- wrote:
    I split the thread to make it easier to read...

Old thread Here

Chief. Any chance you could summarise the still live issues in post 1 and the dead (sorted) issues in post 2 , or a top 5 or so of each, and insert them at the beginning of the thread . At the moment it starts kinda nowhere and goes nowhere , sorry about that :(

Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

if i switched from utv internet-would i need a new modem?-i am considering buying a new netgear 802.11g wireless modem would this work with Smart?

sixtysix wrote:
    if i switched from utv internet-would i need a new modem?-i am considering buying a new netgear 802.11g wireless modem would this work with Smart?

I asked SMART and they advised me that I could continue using my own equipment but that in order to get full benefit from their service I need to use the equipment which they supply free of charge.

It might be a better idea to wait and see how well the SMART equipment operates.

Here is a quote from their site
    ==========================================
    What equipment do I need?
    All you need is a computer that meets the minimum requirements; you need a suitable phone line and we will supply you with a broadband modem (router) and two microfilters (phone adapters). Both items are free of charge and can be self installed using our manual. We also provide a wireless modem for €140.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Garfield,
    1. How do Smart intend to backhaul from exchanges outside of Dublin that are not within striking distance of a MAN?
    2. If Dolphins Barn is now on test mode has Smart ovecome all of their difficulties with eircom as regards access to the exchanges?
    3. What levels of interest does a particular exhange have to have to get Smart to enable it?
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

infomat wrote:
    I asked SMART and they advised me that I could continue using my own equipment but that in order to get full benefit from their service I need to use the equipment which they supply free of charge.

It might be a better idea to wait and see how well the SMART equipment operates.

afaik, The only difference is the use of adsl2+, but I know netgear have beta firmware for adsl2 support for the dg834* range. They could have others too, I didn't look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hey Garfield,
    Well done on appearing here and kudos to Smart. I know that the question of the Drogheda exchange was raised once but other posters addressed it kinda. I can't help but wonder why Drogheda (DBCA) doesn't even have a confirmed date because:
    1) It is the largest exchange building I have ever seen (Blanch gives it a good run for its money though) and was one of the regional exchanges under TÉ.

2) The MAN is currently being built in Drogheda and at its nearest point (along Rope Walk) it is 20 metres from the exchange.

3) ESB Telecom have backhaul in Drogheda.

4) approx 30,000 lines are connected (Drogheda's + lines up to a 6 mile radius of the town)

Im very worried about this line distance thing because lines only 2.5 kms from Drogheda fail the test, even though they are of decent quality (good dialup speeds). You talk of increasing the thresholds for passing but BT can achieve with ADSL what you will miss with ASDL2+. If you add just 600 feet to a line distance limit of 3 kms then it will make SFA difference to me, with a line of length 5.5 kms. What will you do about this? 600 feet is pathetic. We need 6000 feet added on to the existing line distance limit to just bring it to international norms.

Advertisement