Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

13-02-2005, 21:08   #1
IDM

Send a message via AIM to IDM Send a message via MSN to IDM
Uhoh ... TCD gets added to "The Facebook"

Trinity's become one of six non-american universities to be added to the popular social site, thefacebook.com

Quote:
On Thefacebook, students register and create a profile with their interests, personal information and pictures.

Thefacebook allows students to search for people connected to them through class courses and majors and displays their connections to close friends and their friends’ friends.
Pretty interesting concept, really. Has done ridiculously well in the states. Only about 60 people from TCD have signed up so far. And I reckon about 70% of them are american. But could prove to be a useful tool if it takes off like it has in the states. What do you guys think ? Flattered that we've been added along with Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, St. Andrews, & Surrey ?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2005, 22:12   #2
ApeXaviour

Hey Ian, welcome back.

Registered with that site and had a look round it and I've one thing to say about it:

I don't get it..
14-02-2005, 00:45   #3
IDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeXaviour
I don't get it..
Well initially I used it for getting back in touch with a few old school friends. Was able to look them up through the "High School Search" feature & once they'd confirmed I was their friend I was able to see all their personal info/contact details. Obviously a nice feature but probably not much use to you irish folk, at the moment.

A cool aspect of it is the "Group" feature where you can create or join groups, for example, at TCD there's already a bunch of groups, namely: the American Ex-Pat Connection (useful for me =P), one for people who live on Charlotte Quay, one for Bush haters, people who think Napoloeon Dynamite is pretty much the sweetest movie ever, etc. Some silly, some serious. Essentially a good way of meeting people with similar interests. May seem like a nerdy way of meeting people, but if you get over the dorky/techie side of it you'll probably realise that it's actually a good way of meeting new people that you could actually have a decent conversation with. None of this: "so the weather's been pretty crap, eh ?" shiz.

Addition: Oh & those of you who do sign up, go ahead and put in your full name, otherwise your friends'll have a hard time looking you up. Plus, the way the system confirms that you actually go to trinity is via your e-mail address. So there's no point hiding ... Obviously if you do wish to remain anonymous, you can edit your privacy settings but it kinda defeats the purpose of the site.

Last edited by IDM; 14-02-2005 at 01:00. Reason: A wee addition ...
14-02-2005, 08:53   #4
ApeXaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDM
May seem like a nerdy way of meeting people, but if you get over the dorky/techie side of it you'll probably realise..
/me puts down lotr replica sword and squints at current website address..
14-02-2005, 12:17   #5
DrIndy

What worries me is a spam-harvester coming across my e-mail address - I get plenty already and don't want more.....
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2005, 14:41   #6
Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Registered for it, then had to unregister - far too embarassing!
14-02-2005, 14:43   #7
Agent Smith
Did you enjoy the fuhrer's birthday?

is it worth it tho?
Thanks from:
14-02-2005, 14:47   #8
Hitchhiker's Guide to...

don't see how...it's a far too american concept. if you want to catch up with people from college, you keep their number. If you don't want to keep up with them, then there is probably a good reason!
14-02-2005, 15:31   #9
IDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundtower2
if you want to catch up with people from college, you keep their number.
Wouldn't say that many people use it to keep up with their current friends. More useful for communicating with acquaintances (friends of friends) than with current friends.
Advertisement
14-02-2005, 16:31   #10
Nietzschean

its not designed for current friends really, designed to catch up with people you were in college with...... its usually quite hard to just randomly track people down if u've been out of college a few years.
15-02-2005, 14:27   #11
celingfan
Banned

This is how nerds talk to girls none of this face to face jive i see.
Intersting concept i'll stick to actually talking to girls in person!!!!!
Like nearly everyone else does!!!
15-02-2005, 14:50   #12
damnyanks

It's a social networking site. They are quite big these days. Didn't goto the site but generally the idea is your friend invites you to it.

That person has there friends join their network.
You join and create your own network (Your friends)

Both networks are linked via common members. Thus you can contact someone that is a friend of a friend you know but don't know so well. Works the same way for the college... courses uni etc.
08-10-2012, 01:44   #13
kkumk

LOL
(123) thanks from:
afatbollix, ajjmk, An File, Anatidaephobia, andrew, AndrewJD, Anita Blow, AnneElizabeth, Aoibheann, B0X, Bacon and Cabbage, Bears and Vodka, Benzino, BillJ, bm1993, BobbyPropane, bscm, Bugatti, camel jockey, cherryghost, chocolatechips, Corruptedmorals, cristoir, Dónal, DaaaaaaaaaaN, DancingQueen:), DanDan6592, Das Kitty, discus, DoctorEdgeWild, Dolbert, Dropping No Eaves, earwax_man, efb, El Siglo, Emz93, Encrypted Pigeon, EuropeanSon, face1990, Fox_In_Socks, Grimebox, Hande hoche!, HelenAnn, hfallada, hobbit of the shire, Hollzy, Homer J. Fong, Iano_128, ibarelycare, im invisible, Interferon Gamma, IvyTheTerrible, iwasonbwh, jaffacakesyum, Jimmy Iovine, Joe_Dull, johnk123, Jonathan, jumpguy, Just Like Heaven, K4t, Kbeg3, Keen2win, Kwekubo, languagenerd, Larianne, Lawliet, leaveiton, lord lucan, mardybumbum, Maysa07, mikemac1, minidazzler, Mr. Rager, Mr.S, MrPain, N64, Namlub, nervous_twitch, nommm, NSNO, OnlyMessin, papu, partyatmygaff, Pet, rab!dmonkey, Raphael, RayM, reap-a-rat, RedFFWolf, Roqueandrolle., satchmo, Sierra Oscar, Slow Show, snappieT, snicket, Sofaspud, Sound of Silence, Sparks, Sparky, sparrowcar, SpatialPlanning, St.Spodo, stealinhorses, Tallon, Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo, The Lost Sheep, thefaizan, The_Captain, timmywex, tolosenc, Trilla, Trogdor, TunaSaladBB, Vincent Vega, Vito Corleone, whoopsadaisydoodles, WinterSong, WoollyRedHat, xpletiv, zero19, [-0-], [Jackass]
08-10-2012, 01:48   #14
Wils110
Closed Account

Lol is right.......they never new they would be talking about the biggest thing ever
08-10-2012, 12:11   #15
Lawliet

Mod: TCD
It's like a deleted scene from the Social Network where no one is particularly impressed
Thread Closed