Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Uhoh ... TCD gets added to "The Facebook"

• 13-02-2005 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Trinity's become one of six non-american universities to be added to the popular social site, thefacebook.com

On Thefacebook, students register and create a profile with their interests, personal information and pictures.

Thefacebook allows students to search for people connected to them through class courses and majors and displays their connections to close friends and their friends’ friends.

Pretty interesting concept, really. Has done ridiculously well in the states. Only about 60 people from TCD have signed up so far. And I reckon about 70% of them are american. But could prove to be a useful tool if it takes off like it has in the states. What do you guys think ? Flattered that we've been added along with Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, St. Andrews, & Surrey ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Hey Ian, welcome back.

Registered with that site and had a look round it and I've one thing to say about it:

I don't get it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

ApeXaviour wrote:
    I don't get it..

Well initially I used it for getting back in touch with a few old school friends. Was able to look them up through the "High School Search" feature & once they'd confirmed I was their friend I was able to see all their personal info/contact details. Obviously a nice feature but probably not much use to you irish folk, at the moment.

A cool aspect of it is the "Group" feature where you can create or join groups, for example, at TCD there's already a bunch of groups, namely: the American Ex-Pat Connection (useful for me =P), one for people who live on Charlotte Quay, one for Bush haters, people who think Napoloeon Dynamite is pretty much the sweetest movie ever, etc. Some silly, some serious. Essentially a good way of meeting people with similar interests. May seem like a nerdy way of meeting people, but if you get over the dorky/techie side of it you'll probably realise that it's actually a good way of meeting new people that you could actually have a decent conversation with. None of this: "so the weather's been pretty crap, eh ?" shiz.

Addition: Oh & those of you who do sign up, go ahead and put in your full name, otherwise your friends'll have a hard time looking you up. Plus, the way the system confirms that you actually go to trinity is via your e-mail address. So there's no point hiding ... Obviously if you do wish to remain anonymous, you can edit your privacy settings but it kinda defeats the purpose of the site.

IDM wrote:
    May seem like a nerdy way of meeting people, but if you get over the dorky/techie side of it you'll probably realise..
    /me puts down lotr replica sword and squints at current website address..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

What worries me is a spam-harvester coming across my e-mail address - I get plenty already and don't want more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Registered for it, then had to unregister - far too embarassing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

is it worth it tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

don't see how...it's a far too american concept. if you want to catch up with people from college, you keep their number. If you don't want to keep up with them, then there is probably a good reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

if you want to catch up with people from college, you keep their number.

Wouldn't say that many people use it to keep up with their current friends. More useful for communicating with acquaintances (friends of friends) than with current friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

its not designed for current friends really, designed to catch up with people you were in college with...... its usually quite hard to just randomly track people down if u've been out of college a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

This is how nerds talk to girls none of this face to face jive i see.
    Intersting concept i'll stick to actually talking to girls in person!!!!!
    Like nearly everyone else does!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

It's a social networking site. They are quite big these days. Didn't goto the site but generally the idea is your friend invites you to it.

That person has there friends join their network.
    You join and create your own network (Your friends)

Both networks are linked via common members. Thus you can contact someone that is a friend of a friend you know but don't know so well. Works the same way for the college... courses uni etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Lol is right.......they never new they would be talking about the biggest thing ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

It's like a deleted scene from the Social Network where no one is particularly impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Lawliet wrote: »
    It's like a deleted scene from the Social Network where no one is particularly impressed

True, FB was less like the birth of the Beatles, more like a slow spreading rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

This thread is a piece of Internet history if you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I bet they got their assignments done with far less distractions... :o

Pfff. 2005 was all about Friendster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Dónal wrote: »
    Pfff. 2005 was all about Friendster.

I don't know what that is :P Only got internet access at home in 2006, before that it was off to Chartbusters to use the computers there to go on Bebo...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Reminds me of the Bebo days when i'd see posts about "TheFacebook" and wondered what the hell it was all about. Never would have imagined that FB would be as big as it is now.

It's hard to believe but threads like these on boards could almost be considered as cultural history (Like it or not, Facebook has been part of culture for quite a few years now). Threads like this, much like threads made for significant events like 9/11 or the thread made when Michael Jackson died offer a kind of "snapshot" of people's opinion at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

This is crazy.
    Originally was reading the thread without noticing the date and thought it was current, and was wondering what the hell people were talking about.

Edit: And have now posted this thread on FB, think the internet collapsed in on itself a little bit.

So now this thread is on Broadsheet.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Sounds like a crap idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

The University Times sent me here, a few months late, fairly slow on the uptake over there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I seen this and was a bit confused about what it was... I was wondering why my Uni wasn't on it. I then googles thefacebook just to find normal Facebook... Then I seen the date

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Carvin

TheFacebook? It'll never catch on.
    Hindsight is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thefaizan

I don't know what that is :P Only got internet access at home in 2006, before that it was off to Chartbusters to use the computers there to go on Bebo...
    same here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

WTF? Why The Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

WTF? Why The Facebook.

Zombie thread. Careful, they bite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Hey Ian, welcome back.

Registered with that site and had a look round it and I've one thing to say about it:

I don't get it..

OMG loike how have you never heard of thefacebook!>!>!>!>!>!>!>!>!
    YOLO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement