Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mtb got robbed last night

Options
  • 04-02-2005 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

After work i went to UCD for the gym, got there at about 17:15. Chained up the bike outside the Sports Centre on the 4th, maybe 5th bike rack.
    Finished working out at around 19:15 and my bike was gone.
    I rang the gards. Took about 40 min for them to get there. They wrote down the information blah blah blah. They were kind enough to give me a lift home anyway, which redeems my view of them a little.

Bike was a Specialized Stumpjumper m2 comp.
    Looked like this: http://rob.bikerevuk.com/stumpy2.jpg
    Only my fork is black (says Manitou in bold white letters down the side).

I bought it second hand from a bike shop i sort of know the owner of (friend of a friend). He couldn't tell me the year the bike was made. I looked it up on the web and it may have been 2000, but some people thought it was older: 96 - 98.

I bought the bike for off-roading and doing a bit of commuting but i was living in Galway at the time. Since moving to Dublin it's been a commuter exclusively. And a good one at that too. I put those really thin tyres on it with kevlar. Suffered only 2 punctures since i owned the bike - (almost 2 years) despite running thru an amazing quantity of broken glass.

I had 2 locks on the bike whenever i left it in public.

Sort of puts getting a racer on the back burner.

I'll have to get another bike for commuting, but definately something sh!tty.
    Lesson learned. (no insurance either)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Thats a pisser alright, just hope the scumbag that robbed it dies horribly.

I'll keep an eye out for it, I ride a Specialized myself and I always give others a passing glance out of interest. There's not too many Stumpys out there so you never know.

You should also post onto the Rider Talkback forum on mtbireland.com.

Its a very active community of avid MTB riders and your plight will get some sympathy and any assistance thats going. If there is some skanger spinning it around town, somebody on that forum will trip across it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Yeah bummer - I had a LaPierre robbed before Christmas - looked outside my office at 17.20 - it was there - went out at 17.30 it was gone - I hope the f##ker who took it gets maimed.

Have a look out for Garda auctions - it might turn up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

You just can't leave it on the street. I've had to fight with my CEO, operations manager, facilities manager, building porter and the no-mark I share with to get my bike into my office. I just would not take no for an answer, so I sitting here now looking at it :D

Its the only way, sadly.

I work in a tiny hidden off street office park with private access gate and lock the bike with two locks outside the window which is beside the guy beside me and they still got it, but it was dark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭monster_fighter

jman0 wrote:
    After work i went to UCD for the gym, got there at about 17:15. Chained up the bike outside the Sports Centre on the 4th, maybe 5th bike rack.

I had 2 locks on the bike whenever i left it in public.

2 locks?
    What type?
    How did they break them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Bummer - I know how it feels, been a victim a few times.

Are UCD Security any help? Do they have cameras? If it was chucked into the back of a van they might have caught the reg plate.

When I lived at home my bike was covered by my parents' house contents insurance? I mention it in case you could claim this way, though they generally want bike details on insurance form.
    I have a Rockhopper (same colour - Johnny Jukebox - it wasn't me so if you see me please don't run me over :p ) and getting it insured is a pain, really limits the insurers I can use because most have a e500 limit and it retails around 1k (though it is 5 years old now).
    I've had to fight with my CEO, operations manager ...
    Long time ago I got fired for writing a nasty letter to the company boss (only 12 in the company) for moving my bike from a storeroom (out of the way) to the front of the building, unlocked!! There was a back garden that could have been used (company was in old house). I got lucky and got by previous job, that I'd left 6 weeks before, back. And there I met the wife ... happily ever after ... The End.
    I still think the boss is "stupid and/or ignorant" (quote from the letter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

2 locks?
    What type?
    How did they break them?

I can't remember the brands but the main lock was like this:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360015430
    The other was like this:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360009024
    Again, these aren't the brands.

Gards say they just used a bolt cutters. I didn't find the locks, they probably just threw them into the bushes (there's loads of bushes right there)

Yeah I had similar coil locks on mine - good luck - both taken - got a huge lock now - Magnum something or other - its hard enough to lock so helpfully hard to unlock too.

I think my bike, when robbed, was thrown in a van too - got the reg of a van leaving but the Garda got nothing on it - the van has not been around since.

Downtime wrote:
    Yeah I had similar coil locks on mine - good luck - both taken - got a huge lock now - Magnum something or other - its hard enough to lock so helpfully hard to unlock too.

I think my bike, when robbed, was thrown in a van too - got the reg of a van leaving but the Garda got nothing on it - the van has not been around since.

I saw a Cannondale in town chained up to a light pole that looked like about 3k worth of biking goodness. It had this massive chain, the metal was dark and fairly shiny, lock was one of those disc locks you see motorcycles use sometimes. I wonder what that chain was made of...
    What are materials that are harder than a bolt cutter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

O'Connell st:

lockeddown0wt.th.jpg

Unfortunately my Krypto Evo+ is Bic-able, and the other U is a cheapo...

Trojan wrote:
    O'Connell st:

lockeddown0wt.th.jpg

Unfortunately my Krypto Evo+ is Bic-able, and the other U is a cheapo...

That's a nice compact bundle of bike, but i doubt that's gonna stop the boys in a van with a bolt cutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Actually I very much doubt boys in a van would cut through 1/2" hardened steel (actually carbon alloy) without resorting to hydraulics. The KryptoLok Plus is quite a tough lock.

I'd be much more worried if I saw them with a biro (or a car jack).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I had a KryptoLok plus on my bike when it got robbed. They managed to cut through it somehow.

I still wish to this day that I had sprayed on some of that ultra-poisonous stuff as seen in "the jackal" on my bike. That would have teached the scum :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 doyler4k

Do you think its possible to get a small GPS device that could sit in the seat tube and tell a receiver somewhere where exactly it is?
    It may not stop your bike getting robbed but at least we'd have a fighting chance if it was.

Peace

Advertisement