Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spongebob Squarepants a Threat to Family Values

Options
  • 21-01-2005 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

From http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/politics/20sponge.html
    NYT wrote:
    "Does anybody here know SpongeBob?" Dr. James C. Dobson, the founder of Focus on the Family, asked the guests Tuesday night at a black-tie dinner for members of Congress and political allies to celebrate the election results.

Now, Dr. Dobson said, SpongeBob's creators had enlisted him in a "pro-homosexual video," in which he appeared alongside children's television colleagues like Barney and Jimmy Neutron, among many others. The makers of the video, he said, planned to mail it to thousands of elementary schools to promote a "tolerance pledge" that includes tolerance for differences of "sexual identity."

I guess teaching kids to love and respect each other is not what good Christians do :rolleyes:

Article is worth it for this quote alone...
    NYT wrote:
    Mark Barondess, the [allegedly anti-Christian foundation]'s lawyer, said the critics "need medication."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Maybe they have him confused with Spongebob Nopants :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Talliesin wrote:
    Maybe they have him confused with Spongebob Nopants :)
    Ha ha.
    But anyway, that just seems off the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Thats Bible Belt america for you. The home of religion and good family values....not to mention hypocracy and racism/sexism. Those people talk through their hoops all the time. It was the same when the Columbine Highschool shootings happened - they all went ape$hit about video games then. Now its a cartoon.
    Feckin' eegits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Found this here:
    first they came for bert and ernie
    and i said nothing because i was not a muppet

then they came for tinky winky
    and i said nothing because i was not a teletubby

then they came for spongebob and patrick
    and i said nothing because i was not an asexual cartoon sea creature

and now i'm just wondering who'll be the next target of the
    righteous conservative wrath against imaginary creatures

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

United Church of Christ Welcomes Spongebob
    CLEVELAND -- Joining the animated fray, the United Church of Christ today (Jan. 24) said that Jesus' message of extravagant welcome extends to all, including SpongeBob Squarepants - the cartoon character that has come under fire for allegedly holding hands with a starfish.

"Absolutely, the UCC extends an unequivocal welcome to SpongeBob," the Rev. John H. Thomas, the UCC's general minister and president, said, only partly in jest. "Jesus didn't turn people away. Neither do we."

Have a look at the photodiary when Spongebob visited them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Well, I borrowed my cousin as an excuse to go see the movie last night and he didn't seem any gayer when we left! :rolleyes: Tbh I never even noticed the hand-holding bit that had the anti-gay conspiracy theorists up in arms, but maybe I'm so converted that I just don't notice any more :rolleyes:

Poor Spongebob, I thought it was a great movie, and no more "promoting the homosexual agenda" than any other kids movie I've seen. Go see it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭r@t

dogs wrote:
    From http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/politics/20sponge.html

I guess teaching kids to love and respect each other is not what good Christians do :rolleyes:

Article is worth it for this quote alone...

ahhh many things are not christian- that doesnt make it wrong. you have to remember that christian mythology (yes this is the correct political term for it) isnt always right, often contradicts itself and is highly pregidious of anything that might get in its way. objections like this are the beginings of unjustified hatred. kids should know the truth gays are people too- no diffferent from you or i.

r@t wrote:
    christian mythology (yes this is the correct political term for it)
    No, that's not correct political term for it, or the correct anything term for it, it's the wrong term for it.
    Christian mythology is the Christian views about cosmology and history, that is to say how they say the world works and stories they have about what has happened or will happen, which may or may not be believed in as literally true.
    Christian ethics is where some Christians say that homosexuality is wrong, and some other Christians say that it is not. Ethics may or may not be based on mythology, and mythology may or may not refer to what may happen to someone who succeeds or fails at abiding by those ethics, but it is not mythology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

More to the point, however, is Patrick the starfish's sexual identity. In addition to releasing his sperm into the water to fertilize eggs, he is probably capable of asexual reproduction: if one of his limbs gets cut off, it may grow into a whole new organism.

Yoda wrote:
    he is probably capable of asexual reproduction: if one of his limbs gets cut off, it may grow into a whole new organism.
    Great, LGBT is no longer enough, now it'll have to be LGBTA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

LGBTA

You may be missing a Q or two...

Advertisement