Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logical proofs for God

Options
  • 15-01-2005 7:34pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Slow coach wrote:
    Use your logic, man. (of course, if you do you'll find that God really does exist!!) :eek:

What? How does that work? I for one don't believe it's in any way logical to conclude that there is a God, and I'm not the only one.

With regard to the topic, I remember reading an interview with Douglas Adams on the matter where he said he usually described himself as a "radical atheist" to try and indicate that yes, he really had thought this through and read up on the subject and no, he didn't want to have some nice but misguided fools from the local parish try to convert him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Fysh wrote:
    What? How does that work? I for one don't believe it's in any way logical to conclude that there is a God, and I'm not the only one.

Oh, well that's definitely it, then!

I, for one, don't believe it's in any way logical to conclude that there isn't a God, and I'm not the only one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Slow coach wrote:
    Oh, well that's definitely it, then!

I, for one, don't believe it's in any way logical to conclude that there isn't a God, and I'm not the only one.

Well, quite. This was what I was driving at - I don't think it's possible to arrive at a definitive logical conclusion on the matter either way, therefore stating that using logic leads to believing in God is a bit daft.

I'd be interested to hear what your chain of logic that leads to God's irrefutable existence is, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Think before debating this, exactly what is meant by God should have been defined. Most people would call me an atheist - but I believe in the Spinoza idea of God: the Creator, the Law Maker (physical not moral), the armchair God that just sits back and observes creation and does not interfere in any way.

Most people who believe in "God" believe in an interfering god that will help them through interference! Interferance requested through prayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Think before debating this, exactly what is meant by God should have been defined. Most people would call me an atheist - but I believe in the Spinoza idea of God: the Creator, the Law Maker (physical not moral), the armchair God that just sits back and observes creation and does not interfere in any way.

Most people who believe in "God" believe in an interfering god that will help them through interference! Interferance requested through prayer.

A valid question. I believe that God is supreme consciousness, the highest vibration, the Creator, All that Is. And that we are all God, individualised from the Him/It to express and experience ourselves in an infinite varieties through free choice and self-awareness.

I think it's best for God not to be called God, but perhaps "All that Is" or "the Source" or something to that effect, in order to avoid religious dogma.

As to the origional question, yes I believe laziness is responsible for the majority (read: not all) of people who choose atheism. Having been an atheist once myself, I relalised that I was basing it out of not-knowing all the "evidence" (for want of a better word) or arguments for, rather than against, the existence of a higher order to reailty. Having looked at this other side of the coin so to speak for several years and utilising my own thoughts and feelings about the nature of existence, I decided there was enough circumstantial evidence to persuade me that there is a Creator and life is about expression of self and (here) experience of physical life.

I know a lot of atheists atm and I know they are basing their beliefs on ignorance of all the arguments both for and against the existence of a Creator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

elivsvonchiaing: that's originally Aristotle's idea of the Unmoved Mover you're referring to, which Spinoza of course ripped off.

Manchegan said:
    Since Galileo, science and religion have been shown to be mutually exclusive, each consisting of fundamentally different building blocks, and bolstering one with the other is doomed to failure. Looking to science to "prove/disprove" the existence of God is akin to forcing a square peg through a round hole.

If you do your research you will find

1) That Galileo loved the church, was a vocal church advocator and was friendly with a number of popes. His relationship with the Catholic Church broke down during the reformation but he remained loyal to the his catholic faith. That he was at odds with the church at all is a misconception. Read Rebuilding the Matrix by Denis Alexander for more on this.

2) We are not discussing looking to science to prove the existence of God, but to philosophy and logic. To scientifically prove something we must do so through experimentation, which is quite obviously not possible in the realm of ontological, cosmological or epistemological thought. :)

3) It is perfectly possible for science and religious belief to co-exist. I must ask you why you think they cannot exist together? Science is not the "new religion". SJ Gould, our primary source on the most recent and accurate account evolutionary theory, holds religious belief (well, held. He died not too long ago). What does that say? I fear that you are being sidetracked by an understandable prejudice against fundamentalist 7-day creationist Christians.

Fysh said:
    Well, quite. This was what I was driving at - I don't think it's possible to arrive at a definitive logical conclusion on the matter either way, therefore stating that using logic leads to believing in God is a bit daft.

I'd be interested to hear what your chain of logic that leads to God's irrefutable existence is, though.

Let's then imagine that we are discussing the Unmoved Mover, which is effectively, the creator God. He/She/It did its work and is now sitting back.

Can we logically prove it exists?

I believe so. This is a (summation of) cosmological proof for the existence of God as proposed by Dr. Thomas AF Kelly.

Things whose existences are not necessary are mortal - that is to say, they come into existence and then they pass away. Contingency and temporailty therefore are two sides of the same coin.

If the expression "God exists" is always a contingent (possibly true, but possibly untrue) statement, what can we say?

I'll preface it with a proof that demonstrates that possibility is insufficient for actuality.

p = actual
    not p = possible

[example - if a doctor says; "I am a doctor" they are stating actuality. To say "I could become a pilot/chef/helipcopter" is to state what is possible.]

To say that possibility is sufficient for actuality is to say that p = not p. [example, it is for the doctor to say "I am a pilot".]

To say p = not p is a very clear contraditiction, therefore we know that possibility is not sufficient for actuality.

Since we now know with certainty that possibility is insufficient for actuality, then we know that the possibility of a world is not enough for a world to exist. Possibilities of existence do not alter existence. And each event has a cause. Therefore, as we can see that the world is insufficient for its own existence, then there must be something outside of thw world and not identical to itself that caused its existence.

That which grants existence is unique: to provide that which it is to be. What God turns out to be is that which is identical to what it is to be.

Thus the ongoing existence of the world is dependent on the creator of the world for that very existence.

---

Refute at will!

• Advertisement

PS - I may not be back to the thread for a while as I'm sitting a medieval literature exam on Monday morning. :(

that's originally Aristotle's idea of the Unmoved Mover you're referring to, which Spinoza of course ripped off.
    As an Einstein fan was debating whether to attribute it to him - think he actually made Spinoza "famous" tbh. Glad I didn't :o Thought was wtf has heard of Spinoza? Luckily I had faith in the forum I was posting in! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I love all the big words ppl use in these arguments. I'm an atheist because god hasn't personally tapped me on the shoulder and said "boo" to me yet. I don't find my attitude lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

If Adams is a radical atheist, then I am a radical Christian. I don't think that sunday Christians damage my position or reflect poorly on my belief. I just think they are missing out on the actual, real, tangebile benefits of the Gospel. ;)

Actually I found the gospels most anti-"We shall live forever" etc. I was more St Paul's writings that resurrected an idea that had been rejected by the Judaeans for 150 years!
    I'm not into the xxx [yyy;hhh] sh!t; at a guess Matthew; Jesus asked of the widow who married the 7 brothers; - there is no such thing as man 'n wife in the kingfom of heaven! Say's it all imho - as sexual entities - you have to cast all that aside on your deathbed - hardly enticing - but better than 70 raisins :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

All very interesting lads, still find the universe all around us to requires no God to function in any way.
    God is a concept born of the fear of the unknown, gradually developing more and more complex as our questions about the world around us became more complex.
    He has also been used as a tool to allow man to work within a moral framework while living in large social groups, it creates feelings of belonging,
    God also engenders one with all the emotional support that your own parents give you or perhaps didn't but should have. Comfort, Hope for the future, the safety of unconditional love.
    Its not hard to see that God as a tool is surprising handy.
    But thats all he is.
    God must give way to rationalism, the worlds questions have crumbled one by one as scientific thought explained away those traditionally only answered in the bible.
    We know where we are from, we know where the unverse comes from. They are answered by evolution, genetics, physics.
    Oh yeah and as to the guy Flew claiming that the complexity of life required intelligence to guide it in its development, thats up there with the flat earth theory, what a load of nonsense!
    As to questions of "Why am I here?", and "What is our Purpose?" well those questios are looking a tad juvenile now in the light of psychology, anthroplogy and sociology.
    The fundamental links between us and the rest of the creatures of this world are impossible to ignore, our emotions and drives are simply extensions of the things all life on earth craves, simply intellectualised, made more complex by our willingness to act against our Dna programming and act against the best interests of the group.
    No God here I am afraid.
    How many other cultures through out history believed in deities?
    Look to the middle east, the records of all the civilisations that existed there are available, their belief systems point to an evolution of a god idea, we can see it as a development of a set of folk tales and myths, nothing more. Useful tool for the maintanence of a people in a harsh desert enviroment.
    Anyway thats it for me.
    I guess the above will seem like so much random flow of conciousness, but its on my mind.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Fysh said:

Let's then imagine that we are discussing the Unmoved Mover, which is effectively, the creator God. He/She/It did its work and is now sitting back.

I believe so. This is a (summation of) cosmological proof for the existence of God as proposed by Dr. Thomas AF Kelly.

Things whose existences are not necessary are mortal - that is to say, they come into existence and then they pass away. Contingency and temporailty therefore are two sides of the same coin.

If the expression "God exists" is always a contingent (possibly true, but possibly untrue) statement, what can we say?

I'll preface it with a proof that demonstrates that possibility is insufficient for actuality.

p = actual
    not p = possible

[example - if a doctor says; "I am a doctor" they are stating actuality. To say "I could become a pilot/chef/helipcopter" is to state what is possible.]

To say that possibility is sufficient for actuality is to say that p = not p. [example, it is for the doctor to say "I am a pilot".]

To say p = not p is a very clear contraditiction, therefore we know that possibility is not sufficient for actuality.

Since we now know with certainty that possibility is insufficient for actuality, then we know that the possibility of a world is not enough for a world to exist. Possibilities of existence do not alter existence. And each event has a cause. Therefore, as we can see that the world is insufficient for its own existence, then there must be something outside of thw world and not identical to itself that caused its existence.

That which grants existence is unique: to provide that which it is to be. What God turns out to be is that which is identical to what it is to be.

Thus the ongoing existence of the world is dependent on the creator of the world for that very existence.

---

Refute at will!

Two things :

a)As far as I can tell, I can use the exact same argument, only switching in "god does not exist" or, if you prefer, "god cannot exist", in order to prove things the other way.

b)I've bolded your starting points because I disagree with them. I don't think that one can mathematically separate statements in such a way. If p is what is actual, surely not p would have to be all that is not actual? This will encompass what is possible, surely - but also what is physically impossible and therefore not actual as well?

As an interesting side note, the physicist in me would like to point out that "Since we now know with certainty that possibility is insufficient for actuality, then we know that the possibility of a world is not enough for a world to exist. Possibilities of existence do not alter existence." is technically at odds with what experiments on quantum theory suggest. I mention this more because, having noticed it, I wondered who this A F Kelly chap is, and whether he'd addressed the subject at all.

Disagreeing with syllogistic logic is probably a bad idea. It's like disagreeing that 1+1=2. You can't disagree with it and still be right.

Your idea that all that is not p encompasses all that is impossible is fine with me. It fits perfectly with what I have said. How does it nullify the equation? We have seen that what is actual is not equal to what is possible and what is impossible. Grand.

Dr. Thomas AF Kelly is the dean of philosophy at NUI Maynooth. An argument that refutes his has not to date been found.

And CiDeRmAn - you offered no refute of my arguments - only a series of unfounded opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Did you hear about the Irish atheist?
    He wished to god to believe in him!

Growing up these days you are exposed to so many different mythologies, celtic, Roman Catholic, Norse, Egyptian, Buffy the vampire slayer etc, that religion is diminished as an important impact on culture and behaviour.

In answer to the question, few put deep thought into their beliefs.

We are also hardwired to believe, the "God spot" discovered by brain surgeons.

So atheists are the rational ones able to reason beyond society's diktat.

Um...are you suggesting that my reasoned argument came from, I don't know, pressure from society or something? :)

Isn't anyone going to address the argument?

Disagreeing with syllogistic logic is probably a bad idea. It's like disagreeing that 1+1=2. You can't disagree with it and still be right.

Excuse me? You're telling me that disagreeing with a form of logic which utilises the mathematical form (which, despite the best efforts of the Langlands project, still cannot be proven to be one self-consistent structure with several subforms which can all be intertranslated without any form of corruption or information loss) to try and assume absolutelness whilst still incorporating linguistic elements makes me wrong? Convenient, that. What I disagree with is the notion that we have found a 100% correct way of interpreting human ideas in a form that can accept and not be affected by the myriad inconsistencies and problems inherent in the use of language for thinking. It is a useful tool and chiefly (imo at least) a way of easily finding inconsistencies and/or weak points in arguments.
    Your idea that all that is not p encompasses all that is impossible is fine with me. It fits perfectly with what I have said. How does it nullify the equation? We have seen that what is actual is not equal to what is possible and what is impossible. Grand.

Well, it's down to semantics, isn't it. Not p would have to be extensibly defined as all that is possible but is not actual as well as all that is not impossible. Or, you could define it as all that is not actual. Now, having p defined as all that is actual makes defining not p as all that is not actual pretty much obvious. To try and then draw a conclusion from the fallacy of equating p to not p is to ignore that this fallacy is a part of the structure adopted from the mathematical form in the first place. A similar trick can be pulled in mathematics where you prove that a=b for any value of a or b - the problem being that in part of the proof, both have been divided b c which happens to be zero.

You define p as what is actual and not p as what is possible . You then go on to say that because p /= not p, possiblity does not equal actuality. But if not p is everything outside p, it must include anything that is not actual - including that which is impossible. Thus your logic compels you to also accept that impossibility does not equal actuality. Therefore, possibility or lack thereof have no actual influence on actuality. From there, it does not follow that some external entity is necessary for the world to exist.

A third point would be that, even in the case that I somehow accept this logical proof for the existence of a god - how do we then move to prove that the god who is sustaining the universe through a mechanism or mechanisms unknown is the same god described in one or more holy texts currently in vogue?

I'm with Terry Pratchett on this one : "Logic is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't always beat actual thought."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I've split this thread in two as it has moved away from the original question.

Simu (philo mod)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It is no more possible to prove a God exists than it is possible to prove that a God doesn't exist.

There is so much time and effort wasted on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

loose your crutch and walk on your own two feet/

Fysh wrote:
    Excuse me? You're telling me that disagreeing with a form of logic which utilises the mathematical form (which, despite the best efforts of the Langlands project, still cannot be proven to be one self-consistent structure with several subforms which can all be intertranslated without any form of corruption or information loss) to try and assume absolutelness whilst still incorporating linguistic elements makes me wrong? Convenient, that. What I disagree with is the notion that we have found a 100% correct way of interpreting human ideas in a form that can accept and not be affected by the myriad inconsistencies and problems inherent in the use of language for thinking. It is a useful tool and chiefly (imo at least) a way of easily finding inconsistencies and/or weak points in arguments.

Ah. Now you are moving into relativism. Your basic argument here seems to be that we cannot know anything to be true. If that is your standpoint, then we can't really go anywhere with that, can we? Or is it that you are saying that language is insufficient for expression of truth?

Well, let me ask you then, do you know that the statement "Language is insufficient for expression of truth" is actually true? If you do know it is true, then by what measure do you know it? Surely knowing that it is true nullifies your argument. And if you don't know it to be true - well then, it's moot, isn't it?

Just out of interest's sake, can you provide some examples of syllogistic logic where it is possible to reach a conclusion (logically) that is untrue?
    Well, it's down to semantics, isn't it. Not p would have to be extensibly defined as all that is possible but is not actual as well as all that is not impossible. Or, you could define it as all that is not actual. Now, having p defined as all that is actual makes defining not p as all that is not actual pretty much obvious.

Now, do you mean formal semantics here, or the colloquial term semantics? If you mean formal, well then, yes of course it is down to semantics - semantics being concerned with the meaning of words! I agree with everything in the above paragraph.
    To try and then draw a conclusion from the fallacy of equating p to not p is to ignore that this fallacy is a part of the structure adopted from the mathematical form in the first place. A similar trick can be pulled in mathematics where you prove that a=b for any value of a or b - the problem being that in part of the proof, both have been divided b c which happens to be zero.

But...I haven't drawn any conclusion, because the equation cannot go on when faced with a contradiction. We are not trying to prove that p is equal to not p here. What is being illustrated simply is that if possibility were sufficient for actuality, then there would be no need for first causes.

Let's try to re-do the illustration to your satisfaction, using English and not logic.

We've got actuality and we've got all other things - ie everything that not actuality implies.

Now is actuality, or let's call it, REALITY, sufficient so that it is ALSO all other things that are not actuality?

An examination of actuality would show that it does not encompass all possibilities. However, actuality, DOES encompass all impossibilities, thus making impossibility an element of actuality, as opposed to an element of all other things.

Now. If we can see that actuality DOES NOT EQUAL all other things, then it is true to say that possibility is not sufficient for actuality.

Do you disagree?

And, can you name a causeless event?

Your example of proving that a=b is not relevant. Where is the parallel? What is the similar trick?!
    But if not p is everything outside p, it must include anything that is not actual - including that which is impossible. Thus your logic compels you to also accept that impossibility does not equal actuality. Therefore, possibility or lack thereof have no actual influence on actuality. From there, it does not follow that some external entity is necessary for the world to exist.

It is not from there that it is logical for an external entity is necessary for the world to exist.

It is from the realisation that all actuality must have a cause. The world is not self-actualising. If you can give an example of self actualisation I would be fascinated. If the world realised itself through sheer possibility then we woul dhave no use for logic or physics or metaphysics. If things were existing themselves into relaity out of sheer nothingness, then there would be no order in the chaos. Which there is.
    A third point would be that, even in the case that I somehow accept this logical proof for the existence of a god - how do we then move to prove that the god who is sustaining the universe through a mechanism or mechanisms unknown is the same god described in one or more holy texts currently in vogue?

One does not move to prove that this creator God is sustaining the universe. If nothing is self-actualising, then it is obvious that the turning of the planet, the growth of anything (which we cannot affect) is being influenced by some force that we cannot point to.

And this realisation that existence is dependant on this outside influence does not mean that it is any of the gods that are worshipped by man.

That is moving from the realm of metaphysics into faith.

I will now return to my studies. :)

• Advertisement

Your basic argument here seems to be that we cannot know anything to be true. If that is your standpoint, then we can't really go anywhere with that, can we?
    thats is, in fact, the case. arguments such as these serve only to fuel egos and flex intellectual/vocabularial muscle. we as limited human beings can never really ever make a proper stab at these questions, even if we like to think we can.

Is that TRUE, ferdi?

How did you measure the truth of that, if we don't know if anything is true or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

'True' could simply be a place-holder for something that is, in a particular place and time, considered 'coherent', and therefore provisionally binding until something threatens that coherence.

Or true could just remain what it is...consistent with actuality.#

Lots of contextually coherent statements are false.

Is that TRUE, ferdi?

How did you measure the truth of that, if we don't know if anything is true or not?
    obviously i dont know if its true, but i'm desplaying some humility in the face of this completely insermountable intellectual hurdle, its a refreshing change from all the self assured BS spewed on this thread so far.

Glad to hear you refresh yourself. :)

some one has to, all the other arguments on here are quite stale at this stage.

Ah. Now you are moving into relativism. Your basic argument here seems to be that we cannot know anything to be true. If that is your standpoint, then we can't really go anywhere with that, can we? Or is it that you are saying that language is insufficient for expression of truth?

Well, let me ask you then, do you know that the statement "Language is insufficient for expression of truth" is actually true? If you do know it is true, then by what measure do you know it? Surely knowing that it is true nullifies your argument. And if you don't know it to be true - well then, it's moot, isn't it?

I am not stating that language is "insufficient" for the expression of truth, nor that it is sufficient for such a task. I am saying that language is a crude tool initially devised for simple communication and not really entirely adequate for the extended examination of complex metaphysical ideas. It's a tool, and a particularly versatile one at that. However, language has not been specifically developed in such a way as to allow unambiguous and decisive discussion of ideas, therefore it is not always possible to succesfully utilise it for such a purpose. I'll use it where possible, but I accept that it isn't perfect and bear it in mind when looking at arguments such as this.
    Now, do you mean formal semantics here, or the colloquial term semantics? If you mean formal, well then, yes of course it is down to semantics - semantics being concerned with the meaning of words! I agree with everything in the above paragraph.

I was using it in the colloquial sense, insofar as my meaning was that this argument doesn't seem to be much better in terms of validity than Descartes' statement that God is perfect, which subsequently "proved" God to exist by stating that something which is perfect must exist. I have already expounded on the area where I thought the definitions were insufficiently specific to be considered valid for a deductive conclusion of any kind to be drawn.
    But...I haven't drawn any conclusion, because the equation cannot go on when faced with a contradiction. We are not trying to prove that p is equal to not p here. What is being illustrated simply is that if possibility were sufficient for actuality, then there would be no need for first causes.

I know you aren't trying to prove that p = not p. But you are utilising the fact that p /= not p in your subsequent argument.

Regarding the statement that possibility is not sufficient for actuality; quantum throws a strange light on that one. In the case of two-slit diffraction (a beam of light illuminating a slide with two slits in it, which then creates an interference pattern on a subsequent screen) experiments have shown that even in cases where only one photon is emitted (and therefore, under the classical rules, should have gone through either one slit or the other and not shown any interference pattern) the interference pattern is still seen. Which is a physical example of a case where the possibility of an interference pattern, even without the classical requisites for it, is sufficient to create one. Meaning that the quantum model of the universe isn't necessarily compatible with simple statements on actuality and possibility.
    Let's try to re-do the illustration to your satisfaction, using English and not logic.

We've got actuality and we've got all other things - ie everything that not actuality implies.

Now is actuality, or let's call it, REALITY, sufficient so that it is ALSO all other things that are not actuality?

An examination of actuality would show that it does not encompass all possibilities. However, actuality, DOES encompass all impossibilities, thus making impossibility an element of actuality, as opposed to an element of all other things.

I disagree. If something is impossible, how can it be actual? It cannot be materialised or actualised, as to do so would require it to be possible. Actuality is a subset of possibility; but impossibility is a mutually exclusive set to possibility. Therefore, if p is all that is actual or real, not p must not only include all not-actual possibilities, but all impossibilities. Thus, the validity of the statement that p is not equal to not p cannot conclude that possibility is insuficient for actuality, because it does not only involve things that are possible.
    And, can you name a causeless event?

It is from the realisation that all actuality must have a cause. The world is not self-actualising. If you can give an example of self actualisation I would be fascinated. If the world realised itself through sheer possibility then we woul dhave no use for logic or physics or metaphysics. If things were existing themselves into relaity out of sheer nothingness, then there would be no order in the chaos. Which there is.

Actually, one of the current theories in physics that has yet to be dismissed is the multiverse theory - everything happens somewhere, determined solely by quantum probability. Another one is the notion of the infinite universe or multiverse - lacking any way of effectively describing how all this could have started (and whether that would require external influence), we instead question if it had to start at all, if it could not be permanent. After all, your statement that there was a starting point which was God who created all matter doesn't really have any more merit than me saying that there wasn't and He/She didn't. Once matter exists, it exists. Causality describes chains of events. Once something exists, it exists. It does not have to continually be recreated by external influence in order to carry on existing.
    One does not move to prove that this creator God is sustaining the universe. If nothing is self-actualising, then it is obvious that the turning of the planet, the growth of anything (which we cannot affect) is being influenced by some force that we cannot point to.

But where is the evidence that things do not self-actualise? Outside of the original logical statement from Prof. Kelly, that is. If we are to accept that all things do not self-actualise but are maintained by some form of deity (rather than, say, going with what Occam's razor suggests and saying that a simpler explanation might be that our imperfect language has evidenced one of its many flaws when used in deductive reasoning, and that matter does not have to be "actualised" in order to carry on existing) then I have to point out that at this juncture your "logic" deviates from one of the accepted postulates of science, which is the conservation of energy (and matter, when you take account of special relativity).

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Originally posted by neuro-praxis

This Metaphysickal Logick is a poorly disguised refashioning of the Russel Paradox in which Russel demonstrates the limitations of naïve set theory: the condition of a set of sets that does not contain itself is inherently contradictory.

If you are looking to convince people that theism is the way to go, Pascal's Gambit is yer man - at least there's some incentive rather than basing a belief on a flaw in logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

so essentially you're just trying to say that something must have created the universe for it could not create itself, and that something is god.

At the end this seems to be what your entire arguement boils down to.

Unfortunately this is a self-contradictory statement. The contradiction is so obvious off course that I won't bother pointing it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement