Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is It true all the old tapes of ww were destroyed

Options
  • 10-01-2005 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

heard it somewhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

RTÉ didn't back up a lot of episodes for a couple of reasons; 1. video tape was expensive, so it was reused for other taped studio programming, and 2. they didnt see commercial value of keeping it. Episodes of The Riordans and Hall's Pictorial Weekly went rewind and record in their day.

So, if RTÉ were to launch RTÉ Gold, there would be a big hole in the mid-70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

im ashamed to admit it..but i once starred on wanderly wagon..ohh the shame of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

I read an article recently that the last company in the US making high quality tape has gone out of business. Apparently the chinese stuff is available but is not as good. It now seems that the archives of a number of record companies would be worth more if they were to wipe the tapes!!!!

And Ghost MGG, don't be ashamed. Be proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

rorygbluz wrote:
    heard it somewhere

No it is not true.

They have a few episodes left - mostly from the later ones (1978 - 82) many of which were recorded in front of a live studio audience.

On three separate occasions in the last few years Wanderly Wagon has featured on RTE

1996 - over Christmas they transmitted 5 or 6 episodes at the unearthly time of 5.30am

1997 - there was a 7 minute compendium segment on @last tv's "TV Heaven" section presented by Ian O'Doherty

2004 - Eugene Lambart documentary has several minutes of footage from it.

RTE Gold would be a great idea. Complete with classic adverts of the time.

If RTE wanted to make money they could do so by releasing episodes of Bosco, Wanderly Wagon, Fortycoats on DVD. I know plenty people who would buy them.

As for season box sets of Anything Goes - I'd be first in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Ooh... A DVD of Aonghus McAnally and Dave Heffernan.

eep!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    On three separate occasions in the last few years Wanderly Wagon has featured on RTE
    I have a fourth: On the first of January 2000 at about 6am myself and a mate were the last people alive at a Millennium party in some houses we rented in Wicklow - the sipping stage, too stubborn to stop drinking, too drunk to get up and go to bed - when Wanderley Wagon came on the telly. I felt like somebody spiked my drink or something, it was utterly bizarre.

BTW, I'm absolutely disgusted with the people in other threads that say their Judge badges are tucked away in a box in the attic. If I still had my Judge badge I'd never take it off. For god's sake get yourselves up to the attic and extricate it, and send it to me!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

dahamsta wrote:
    I have a fourth: On the first of January 2000 at about 6am myself and a mate were the last people alive at a Millennium party in some houses we rented in Wicklow - the sipping stage, too stubborn to stop drinking, too drunk to get up and go to bed - when Wanderley Wagon came on the telly. I felt like somebody spiked my drink or something, it was utterly bizarre.
    Yeah, I saw it listed and got up to watch it. Not that I can remember the plot or anything at this stage.
    BTW, I'm absolutely disgusted with the people in other threads that say their Judge badges are tucked away in a box in the attic. If I still had my Judge badge I'd never take it off. For god's sake get yourselves up to the attic and extricate it, and send it to me!
    Equally disgusted and also want one. What's worse is that as a child I had two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭bluto

what was forty coats red haire assisants name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I think it was "Slightly Bonkers" played by Virginia Cole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭bluto

what ever happened her i used to have a huge chrush on her

• Advertisement
Advertisement