Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Provincial Misinformation<>Galway

Options
  • 09-12-2004 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Date: 09-12-2004-

Broadband for ten Galway towns next year

BY UNA SINNOTT

Eircom has this week announced plans to extend its broadband coverage to 10 new towns in County Galway by next summer.

The company has confirmed plans to extend the broadband service to Carna, An Cheathrú Rua, Barna, Gort, Oughterard, Claregalway, Portumna, Ballyglunin, Mountbellew, and Ardrahan by the end of June 2005. Eircom already provides broadband connections in Galway city, Athenry, Loughrea, Ballinasloe, Tuam, and Oranmore.

The major expansion of broadband services in Galway forms part of the company's plans to increase its broadband base fivefold and have every town in the country with a population of more than 1,500 connected to broadband by next March. Meanwhile customers in rural areas can access a range of satellite broadband services.

Ireland already has above the EU average of broadband penetration, along with one of the fastest growing markets for broadband in Europe. The roll out of the service across Galway towns will bring internet access up to 50 times faster than the dial-up service to much of the county.

I'd like to find out how this misinformation campaign works. Is it a systematic approach by the rat to all provincial papers and radio stations? Is there a press release?
    I know this is "only" an advertising paper, but those few editorial articles are probably read by a lot of people. We should not leave this field to David McRedmond.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

What paper was this in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

WTF ?????? , Ardrahan and Ballyglunin ? Where is Clifden and where is Moycullen , they are far bigger than either of those places !

I fail to see a logical pattern Mr Spock

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

damien.m wrote:
    What paper was this in ?
    Galway Advertiser

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Una can be contacted here: usinnott@galwayadvertiser.ie , if any would like to correct her and show her we are 2nd last in Ireland for Broadband Penetration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

damien.m wrote:
    Una can be contacted here: usinnott@galwayadvertiser.ie , if any would like to correct her and show her we are 2nd last in Ireland for Broadband Penetration.

There have been rumours that Eircom ntended to do towns wth 1000 persons and over n the next tranche of exchanges. This could be the greatest compliment to IoffL and its campaigning in the National media that Eircom are now using local media instead to disseminate launches where they deal with less informed journos who will not ask questions. There are some WISP launches imminent too.

It ain't the Trigger Levels

Town Trigger Level Current Level

Barna 700 38
    Claregalway 421 40
    Ballyglunin (no trigger too small)
    Ardrahan (no trigger too small)
    Oughterard 359 7
    Mountbellew ?
    Portumna ?

(Carna and Carraroe are in the Udarás scheme Gort is beng done ANYWAY as it has 1500 people so only 7 out of 10 are new )

In populaton terms it is stranger , these are all the towns in Galway wth 1000-1500 persons in census 2002 .

Clifden 1355
    Portumna 1235
    Oughterard 1209

Then

Moycullen 883 (has grown a lot since 2002 but see below)
    Headford 703
    Mountbellew 667 see below

Looking at Rural Areas where there is no 'town' or a village in an exchange area or including one of the above AND its hinterland

Barna 2500
    Furbo 1400
    Claregalway 1600
    Clarinbridge 2100
    Spiddal 1250 (east of)
    Moycullen 1400 (and with tullykyne and sleevaneena) 3400
    Inishmore 1300
    Ardrahan 375 WTF
    Craughwell 1200
    Mountbellew 1500
    Portumna 1900
    Annaghdown 1500

I cannot even find Ballyglunin in there .

However Spiddal Furbo and Moycullen could be in Udarás scheme #2 so they could . !!!!!!! :)

Still , I see no pattern , especially how they left Clifden out . I would be very very angry if I lived in Clifden ! Chainsaw totin angry :(

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I Live in athenry and still can't get bb although I am just on the edge of the limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Veire

Muck wrote:
    WTF ?????? , Ardrahan and Ballyglunin ? Where is Clifden and where is Moycullen , they are far bigger than either of those places !

I fail to see a logical pattern Mr Spock

M

sorry to dig up this old thread. i live in ballyglunin and i have been trying to get broadband for months now, i have written numerous letters/email's to eircom and the goverment.
    i don't know were they planning to bring broadband out anyways but i'm over the moon with the news.

on a rough estimate ballyglunin would be over or around 1500+ , there is alot of development . and if u include the greater abbeyknockmoy area , there are 4 primary schools in the area.

again sorry the forums dig, came across it with google.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Veire wrote:
    sorry to dig up this old thread. i live in ballyglunin and i have been trying to get broadband for months now, i have written numerous letters/email's to eircom and the goverment.
    i live in donegal town exchange upgraded in sept 2003 still can't get broadband lines start failing at a junction box about a mile away written all the letters i can no reply apart from phil, nolan telling me dsl is anew technology and nota ll lines are suitable - i wish you luck.

Advertisement