Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying online from USA. Will I be crucified with import duty + VAT ???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dlync05

I'm looking at buying a laptop priced at around €1,000 incl. postage on ebay. Is it safe to say i'll be paying a fair whack in duty and VAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

hi,just to keep the topic live... :)

i've managed to win a nice piese of vintage on ebay in US.the price was $1k.
    shipping-still looking for quotes,but cheaper is coming at around €200-€300.

based on your above posts...do i have to pay vat and other taxes on it ?

and one way of limiting my exposure to 'paddy's tax' is to declare a smaller amount (under €650) and/or making as a gift ,also declaring it spare parts !?

thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭EricM

Best way is to have someone you know in the US buy it and then mail it to you with a very low declared value.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thisisme

Just got charged €34 for a package I received: A t-shirt €15.42, a hat €13.75 and some scuba diving equipment costing €21.73. the first two were for a gift. Total of €50.90 plus shipping of €36.21 (which in itself is pretty excessive) making a nett of €87.11

Now if the Govt. is charging tax on shipping then that means they have charged me roughly 39% excluding delivery this is ~67%:eek:
    I have no problem paying vat if its due but are my maths correct here? I thought import duty (from the US) was 12% and vat 21% making 33% what other charges am I incurring? the delivery guy never mentioned any collection fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi

Some delivery companies charge a fee for customs clearance and also for paying over the Vat and duty to the tax authorities for you in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

thisisme wrote: »
    Just got charged €34 for a package I received: A t-shirt €15.42, a hat €13.75 and some scuba diving equipment costing €21.73. the first two were for a gift. Total of €50.90 plus shipping of €36.21 (which in itself is pretty excessive) making a nett of €87.11

Now if the Govt. is charging tax on shipping then that means they have charged me roughly 39% excluding delivery this is ~67%:eek:
    I have no problem paying vat if its due but are my maths correct here? I thought import duty (from the US) was 12% and vat 21% making 33% what other charges am I incurring? the delivery guy never mentioned any collection fees.

Hi Thisisme,

the delivery guy is the wrong person to ask. Suggest you contact the company that delivered the shipment to you and ask for a break down of the costs you paid. That will clarify what is Duty, what is VAT and if there is any charge for administration / collection of the money paid to Customs.

Let us know how you get on. If you have been overcharged from a Duty / VAT point of view you can apply for a refund.

Post the details and we will help you

Best regards,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement