Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emotional while writing

Options
  • 14-06-2021 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I finished a chapter yesterday and started a new one after that. While I was writing the new chapter, I found myself emotional while writing - is this normal? Or, it's just hormones (cause I just finished my period last week)? Does this happen to you guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Hi Sunny-A
    Yes absolutely. Writing is a creative outlet, emotion is to be expected. Writing while emotional, or getting emotional around what you’re writing can produce some very powerful output, although it can also produce sentimental drivel so do read back again later. It can also be tremendously therapeutic.
    Last night, my protagonist was visiting her mother to let he know about her cancer diagnosis; I cried!
    Kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

Yeah, i know that writing is a creative outlet. I guess i didn't expect that i'll be releasing my emotions this way. Or that i was also into writing that chapter.

I did skim through it before moving on to the next and i just made some technical changes. But other than that, it's good.

Thanks!!

Getting emotional during the writing process? Wait til the reviews start coming in :D Joking aside, it's normal to engage with what you're writing. It may even be a good sign. Since books are team efforts there is plenty of opportunity to get emotional as editors erase characters, chapters, ask for rewrites etc. Then, after publication, and the reviews start coming in, it is normal to develop a brass neck. :)

Advertisement