Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting a registered track bike from the UK

Options
  • 26-01-2021 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I've imported a track bike from the UK just before Christmas. The V5 is currently in a relatives name at a UK address.
    Is it just as simple as filling out the export section of the v5 and sending it off to the DVLA?
    I have no intention of registering it in Ireland.

Any advice appreciated, the relative wants it out of their name asap!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

No, the export section of the V5 is only for if your relative was exporting it personally.
    Your relative needs to write to the DVLA advising that the bike has been sold for export.
    You should keep hold of the intact V5 yourself, regardless of whether you want to register it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tr_18 wrote: »
    I've imported a track bike from the UK just before Christmas. The V5 is currently in a relatives name at a UK address.
    Is it just as simple as filling out the export section of the v5 and sending it off to the DVLA?
    I have no intention of registering it in Ireland.

Any advice appreciated, the relative wants it out of their name asap!

Send nothing to DVLA. Its not required except for your relative to write to them and tell them its exported as of (whatever) date.

And whether you plan to use it on the road or not, get it VRT'd pronto or you're looking at Customs and 21% VAT as well, not to mention per-diem fines for not doing so......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

If youre just using it as a track bike why do anything..??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If youre just using it as a track bike why do anything..??

Its worth more registered than not and if at some point in the future you want to put it on the road it is doable. There was a thread just a few days ago where someone had a display bike that was never registered and wanted to put it on the road, it was more problematic because it was never registered when it came in first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

Thanks for the replies.
    The bike is currently in my relatives name and they are getting post about having to SORN the bike.
    It was my understanding that I need to fill in the export section, post it to the DVLA and keep to remainder of the V5 myself.
    No need to get it on irish plates, its just an old CBR600 destined for track days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tr_18 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    The bike is currently in my relatives name and they are getting post about having to SORN the bike.
    It was my understanding that I need to fill in the export section, post it to the DVLA and keep to remainder of the V5 myself.
    No need to get it on irish plates, its just an old CBR600 destined for track days.

no - YOU DO NOT FILL IN OR SEND THE V5 anywhere.

If you post off the V5 to DVLA in UK, Revenue here won't VRT it, won't register it, and you're goosed.

Read the V5. It actually says on it NOT to send it to them if it's being exported.

Does no-one rtfm any more ??

Current V5C, Section 5

It says "you MUST KEEP the rest of the V5C - you will NEED this TO REGISTER YOUR VEHICLE ABROAD" the "you" in this case is you, the RoI buyer.
    (Note: You can post off the tiny Section 5 to DVLA if you like, or your seller can just write to them and tell them.) Do one or the other. Don't leave it in limbo or the seller will get fined in the UK for not taxing/sorning/insuring it.

541183.png

Older V5, Section 11:

It says "Keep sections 1 - 8 of this Certificate (the registration authorities of the country the vehicle is being exported to will need them).

541182.png

As for 'having' to VRT it. On a bike of that age, it'll be pittance. Getting stuck with an unsaleable bike down the road, or getting fines/penalties simply isn't worth.

You never have to put it on the road, never have to tax it: but beware if you VRT it, you need to go online and declare it off the road as soon as you have the Reg no.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

As Galway TT says.
    Your name should not be anywhere on the Export Section, just the UK owner's details.

Plus I'm not 100% on this but declaring the Bike SORD should also generate the VLC for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

Thanks for the detailed response GalwayTT, its pretty much as I was thinking. Have a look at my last post above,
    "It was my understanding that I need to fill in the export section, post it to the DVLA and keep to remainder of the V5 myself."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Realistically it's the UK Owner who is supposed to fill in the Export section.
    They can be the only person exporting it.
    You cannot be the Exporter, as it's not yours to export from the UK.
    You are an Importer in this case, which means nothing to the DVLA.
    If you have the Export section with you, you can fill it out (as the UK Owner), but it's not really your issue. It's up to the UK owner to let the DVLA know the situation.

Easiest option for everyone is if you sign your relative's name on the Export Section and send that off

Advertisement