Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best areas in Dublin 3/5 for budget of €500k?

Options
  • 01-11-2020 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

We’d love to buy in Raheny, but feel we’re priced out of it. Our max budget is €500k, including any renovation costs. Ideally we’d like three bedrooms, c100m2 or above, a decent sized garden & within the catchment area of good schools as we have a young child. We rent on Watermill Road & love the proximity to St. Anne’s and the coast. We aren’t from Dublin so are not too sure where to look nearby within our budget. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

We’d love to buy in Raheny, but feel we’re priced out of it. Our max budget is €500k, including any renovation costs. Ideally we’d like three bedrooms, c100m2 or above, a decent sized garden & within the catchment area of good schools as we have a young child. We rent on Watermill Road & love the proximity to St. Anne’s and the coast. We aren’t from Dublin so are not too sure where to look nearby within our budget. Any suggestions appreciated.

Have you looked at Artane?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Red Shoes

Yes, Artane is one we’re interested in finding out more about. I’ve seen houses near Harmonstown Dart are c450k+ but I’m not sure what the area is like. Where in Artane would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Check out brookwood road, brookwood avenue and the surrounding roads. 10 minute walk to at annes from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

jon1981 wrote: »
    Check out brookwood road, brookwood avenue and the surrounding roads. 10 minute walk to at annes from there.

Have to agree with that
    Anything with Brookwood would be good
    St Brigid's estate is also good or families
    Middle third is perfect but probably out of your budget
    Rosemount avenue is good too
    However one point about the area
    Most of the houses are old,a lot of the sales are from elderly people and the houses in the Brookwood area will need modernization .
    However most of Raheny fits that category as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If I had more money I'd be living in Foxfield. I don't so I'm a less than half a KM away :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

There are a couple of houses in Harmonstown for <350k. However I won't spend 100k to do them as you won't recoup it back.

Raheny is a good spot. I'd like to live there myself, I can't do living 1km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Red Shoes

If not Harmonstown (Brookwood. Etc.), then where would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If not Harmonstown (Brookwood. Etc.), then where would you recommend?

Its shocking when a budget of a half a million euro can’t buy the basic home one would like in a lively settled family area.

:(

I just had a look at similar to Raheny nice
    settled by the sea with middle class vibe, good commutes, schools & dart : Sutton, Howth, Malahide and Clontarf - surprisingly not all are priced beyond half a mil for a house.

As well as some in the mid e400k also bear in mind a 520k asking price is just that - the ask - not necessarily the selling price.

One of the few houses for sale advertised on my home that is actually IN Raheny as opposed
    to Edenmore or Kilbarrack or Donaghmede is 63 Foxfield - under 500k. Queation is can you live with a pink sink!?!!!

I see there is one on Watermill Ave - where you say you love - for sale too - asking price 50k over your budget but sure what can they do except say no if you were to offer 485k. Might say yes.

That top one, shoe box for a livingroom, shoe box for a kitchen, church for a master bedroom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Killester is nice - not quite as nice as Raheny, slightly further from them sea, but closer to town, and still close to St Anne's, and probably a bit cheaper

That top one, shoe box for a livingroom, shoe box for a kitchen, church for a master bedroom!

Agreed and I have no idea what the management fees are
    However its a 3 bed ,3 bath B3 rated 126sq mt house in Clontarf for 550k
    You dont get many that size in that condition for that price in Clontarf
    For the OP budget of 500K you will not get perfection in D3-5
    I have lived there for over 20 years and I keep an eye on the market
    I bought a shell of a bungalow last year for 570k( 500k for bungalow and 70k to stop it going on the market ) in the area and know what good properties in the D3-D5 GO FOR .
    Have a look at the price of new builds in the area

We're currently living on one of the Brookwood roads and looking to move. Not for any negative reasons, the road and area is lovely.

One observation I've made with most of the properties coming on the market in D5 and D3 is expect to spend at least 100k just modernising it or double that and more to extend it. Some of the properties in D5 and D3 are so old that you're practically buying a site given how much work needs to be done to it. (an expensive site too)

We're currently living on one of the Brookwood roads and looking to move. Not for any negative reasons, the road and area is lovely.

One observation I've made with most of the properties coming on the market in D5 and D3 is expect to spend at least 100k just modernising it or double that and more to extend it. Some of the properties in D5 and D3 are so old that you're practically buying a site given how much work needs to be done to it. (an expensive site too)
    brisan wrote: »
    Have to agree with that
    Anything with Brookwood would be good
    St Brigid's estate is also good or families
    Middle third is perfect but probably out of your budget
    Rosemount avenue is good too
    However one point about the area
    Most of the houses are old,a lot of the sales are from elderly people and the houses in the Brookwood area will need modernization .
    However most of Raheny fits that category as well

As you and I said you will need a good budget to modernise anything in the area
    500K will not get you many good ready to walk into houses in the area
    St Brigids estate is one of the few and its right on the edge of what you would class as D3-D5.
    New 3 beds in Ardilaun were near 700k

This is it, location is king. It's kind of bonkers that you really need 600-700k to buy in parts of D5, while they are lovely areas, they're not held in the same high esteem as parts of Clontarf, for example. 500k should be enough.

Perhaps it's a supply issue.

This is it, location is king. It's kind of bonkers that you really need 600-700k to buy in parts of D5, while they are lovely areas, they're not held in the same high esteem as parts of Clontarf, for example. 500k should be enough.

D5 is mental - You need 350K+ to get a decent sized place in Kilbarrack these days.

Parts of D5 are held in higher regard than parts of Clontarf
    Parts of Clontarf are very badly served by public transport
    Parts of D5 have 2 dart stations and 2 major bus routes within a 10 min walk
    Clontarf is lovely in the main but some parts are more desirable than others

500K will not get you a turnkey 3 bed in the better parts of D5
    A lot of the houses will need major modernization

500K will not get you a turnkey 3 bed in the better parts of D5
    A lot of the houses will need major modernization

Yeah i agree, it should be enough but it ain't, that was more the point I was failing to make :D

Parts of D5 are held in higher regard than parts of Clontarf
    Parts of Clontarf are very badly served by public transport
    Parts of D5 have 2 dart stations and 2 major bus routes within a 10 min walk
    Clontarf is lovely in the main but some parts are more desirable than others

This is a good point, there are parts of clontarf, while lovely areas, are awful when it comes to transport links.

• Advertisement

There's alot of money about at the moment.

This is a good point, there are parts of clontarf, while lovely areas, are awful when it comes to transport links.

Mount Prospect Ave ,one of the better addresses has terrible public transport
    Plus the coast road is bedlam at peak traffic
    Plus on a good Sat or Sunday it can take over an hour to drive from Clontarf to Howth on the coast road

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

We were priced out of raheny with a similar budget due to renovation costs. Everywhere seemed to need min 100 k to bring it up to scratch. The houses we saw in brookwood while lovely seemed the same. Needed huge work.
    Look at killester, donnycarney which are both striking distance to saint Anne's.
    Parts of artane are lovely.
    Woodbine and Grange park are two more affordable areas of raheny although some will argue if they are part of raheny! Check school catchment for these areas and research the local schools.
    Verbena in bayside was also affordable when we were looking but small houses.
    Other areas to consider are marino which is a lovely area which is affordable with your budget and houses for the most have the work already done. Drumcondra and glasnevin are very nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi OP, would you consider Collins Ave, Donnycarney, Dublin 9.? Its just 100m2 near Donnycarney church.

See link: Mature quiet area, your near city, good bus transport links.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/donnycarney/54-belton-park-road-donnycarney-dublin-2734827/

kravmaga wrote: »
    Hi OP, would you consider Fairview, Dublin 3.? Its 79 m2 a litle short of your 100m2.

See link: mature quiet area, your near city, good transport links from Fairview strand.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/marino/62-philipsburgh-terrace-marino-marino-dublin-2699606/

That property is sale agreed and no longer accepting offers
    Asking 460k
    Sold 443k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

That property is sale agreed and no longer accepting offers
    Asking 460k
    Sold 443k

Thanks, wasn't aware it was sale agreed, nice house all the same.

Ive edited the original link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is better to buy a run down property in as good area that a turnkey in a bad area. The one thing you can't do with a house is physically move it. I know 3 households who live on the same section of road who bought their houses around 1990 to 1995. Each lived in the house as it was for at least 10 years and then did a big renovation job, adding extensions upgrading insulation etc. Now the have very good properties in a very good area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

It is better to buy a run down property in as good area that a turnkey in a bad area. The one thing you can't do with a house is physically move it. I know 3 households who live on the same section of road who bought their houses around 1990 to 1995. Each lived in the house as it was for at least 10 years and then did a big renovation job, adding extensions upgrading insulation etc. Now the have very good properties in a very good area.

How would you define a good area / bad area ? Transport links? Anti social behaviour ?

Curious to know. A lot of so called bad areas that got these reputation in the 80s and 90s are fine now. So you really are just paying 100k to 200k more for an address/postcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think Claw Hammer's point is it seems people no longer find it acceptable to live in a house that's not perfect. Long gone are the days where you'd buy a house, put up with the odd leak, draughty windows, some damp, cracked plasterwork and a dated heating system with intentions to get things done bit by bit or all of it further down the line!!

Personally, I'd up with all of the above in nice area than a perfect house with all the mod cons in a not so nice area.

Everyone's definition of a nice and not nice area is different, areas are more expensive than others for good reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

How would you define a good area / bad area ? Transport links? Anti social behaviour ?

Curious to know. A lot of so called bad areas that got these reputation in the 80s and 90s are fine now. So you really are just paying 100k to 200k more for an address/postcode.

A good area is one with a mature well established population. Some areas mature from poor to good. If a house sells at a particular price in one area and an identical house sells at a different price in another area, then the area with the higher price is the better area. You can then try and establish why this is the case and see if the difference is justified or not. You can also try and discern which way each area is likely to develop. It is not about paying 100k for a post code. It is about making a good investment. When you go to sell your potential purchasers will look at the post code. The difference might be 100k now and 300k in a few years.

Advertisement