Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike cleaning for the winter

Options
  • 28-10-2020 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Well,

What are yis currently using to clean the bike for putting it away for the winter -

Need a few new bits.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Rx713B wrote: »
    Well,

What are yis currently using to clean the bike for putting it away for the winter -

Need a few new bits.

Thanks

Putting it away for winter?

I use fairy liquid to wash it tbh

The only thing I have ever done to my bikes before winter is use acf 50 and that seems to have kept them in very good condition and I commute every day.

It's not cheap though and if the bike is old I wouldn't bother tbh

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Clean it thoroughly. Apply plenty of ACF 50. Cover it and put it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I wouldn't let Fairy Liquid, or anything like that, anywhere near a bike or car. The salts in those detergents are bad news for paint and any bare metal.

Use a normal car shampoo. ACF-50 or XCP Rust Protector are both very good for protection afterwards. A good quality wax on the paint helps too. Fuel stabliser maybe? Never used it myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I give it a good clean up with dry clothes or should that be old tee shirts. Zap some spots with WD40 [did have a can of ACF50 but its all gone] Have to replace the clutch cable and fit some new baffles, I think its a tad too noisy. Then into a bag for winter.
    bike xvs400.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Possibly bordering on the OCD, but useful none the less, search for winter in the playlist below

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYPrSImqSGS_ftep0-M8JlXgb3RsYgOlr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yep Fairy liquid (despite the new found biker baby image :pac: ) and other washing liquids have salt in them. Use car shampoo, with or without wax

But who am I to talk, I'm a lazy sod who hasn't washed a bike in years! :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement