Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike lessons under level 5 restrictions

Options
  • 21-10-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Anyone know if lessons are allowed under level 5. My instructor says he is waiting for clarification from the RSA. Got an appointment this morning at last for test next month and would like to get a couple of pretest lessons and I'm also depending on him for a bike for the test as neither of mine are suitable. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dmigsy

myclist wrote: »
    Anyone know if lessons are allowed under level 5. My instructor says he is waiting for clarification from the RSA. Got an appointment this morning at last for test next month and would like to get a couple of pretest lessons and I'm also depending on him for a bike for the test as neither of mine are suitable. Thanks.

Interested in this. I have my test scheduled for next month. Supposed to be going ahead but I can't go out and get any practice in :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

My young lad was due to sit the theory test tomorrow and got an email today about 8pm to say it was cancelled
    I think everything will end up closed again :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Theory is cancelled. Tests for essential workers are going ahead, and that basically means if you have a test appointment you can avail of it. The lack of clarity is around lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Looks like you can still have lessons. But you can't do your test if you aren't an essential worker. The RSA has no way of knowing if you are an essential worker or not. So no idea when you will get a new date if you are honest non essential worker, I know what I would do if I wasn't an essential worker especially for the bike test

https://www.thejournal.ie/driving-test-nct-level-5-5240479-Oct2020/

Del2005 wrote: »
    Looks like you can still have lessons. But you can't do your test if you aren't an essential worker. The RSA has no way of knowing if you are an essential worker or not. So no idea when you will get a new date if you are honest non essential worker, I know what I would do if I wasn't an essential worker especially for the bike test

https://www.thejournal.ie/driving-test-nct-level-5-5240479-Oct2020/

One may have the potential to be an essential worker if one had a licence!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

"instruction" is on the list

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/
    (u) Driver Testing Services provided by the Road Safety Authority for the purposes of section 33 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 (No. 24 of 1961) for people involved in the provision of essential services or essential retail outlets;

(v) Driving instruction provided by instructors on the Register of Approved Diving instructors, established under Part 3 of the Road Traffic (Driving Instructor Licensing) (No.2) Regulations 2009 (S.I. No. 203 of 2009), where the person receiving instruction has a booking reserved to undergo a test for the purposes of section 33 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 (No. 24 of 1961);

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

So pre-test lessons are fine if you have a test booked & are an essential worker ("wink wink") and IBT and all other lessons/instruction are off.

Seems more relaxed than the total shutdown last time which is sensible given the massive backlog caused by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

there is no reason to not undertake any lessons or bike tests. They are socially isolated - separate vehicles. The test is outdoors in the main.

'Essential' has nothing to do with it - my son did his a few weeks ago, and it's patently not a risky excercise.

Car lessons, or car tests, not quite so clear cut, but bike tests should carry on.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dmigsy

galwaytt wrote: »
    there is no reason to not undertake any lessons or bike tests. They are socially isolated - separate vehicles. The test is outdoors in the main.

'Essential' has nothing to do with it - my son did his a few weeks ago, and it's patently not a risky excercise.

Car lessons, or car tests, not quite so clear cut, but bike tests should carry on.

Totally agree. The problem is that there are so many possible and sensible exemptions that should be in place, they'll go with a blanket rule for convenience.

dmigsy wrote: »
    Totally agree. The problem is that there are so many possible and sensible exemptions that should be in place, they'll go with a blanket rule for convenience.

It seems clarification is needed about the 5km rule.

• Advertisement

myclist wrote: »
    It seems clarification is needed about the 5km rule.

Your supposed to stay indoors except for exercise, shopping or essential reasons. The 5km is only for exercise. You can go future for shopping or other essential reasons, if you are doing the lessons or the test you can travel because you are an "essential" worker.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I'm visiting my great-great-great uncle Joe's grave.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I dont see that in the official guidelines (https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/)

There will be a penalty for movement outside 5 kilometres of home, with the following exceptions:

And I don't see shopping in that list (apart from food shopping)

"At Level 5, the public health risk means that you will be asked to stay at home, with certain exceptions."

Yet all these stores can stay open, but you can't go to then regardless of how far away from you they are.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/60ecc-essential-retail-outlets-for-level-5/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/en/publication/60ecc-essential-retail-outlets-for-level-4/

Like the original social bubble guidelines they have no idea what they are saying to people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

IBT is going ahead in tallaght.. the lads at shamrock rovers stadium were out and about yesterday (thursday 22nd)

Advertisement