Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remap recommendations

Options
  • 17-10-2020 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if I asked this before but I'm considering getting the tracer flashed. Mainly because I'm tired of the on/off throttle response jerkiness. The bike is plenty fast so performance is not the reason but any improvement in this area is welcome.

Can anyone recommend a place in the leinster area that does a flash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have you checked if you can reset the throttle? I've a KTM and if you start it and leave it idle for 15 minutes then switch it off you've reset the throttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭H_Lime

https://mototuning.ie/
    What you're describing can really ruin the enjoyment of a bike, my old ktm990adv did that and I tried all the usual fixes incl yours Del but they all fell short.
    Bringing it to Gary will have it sorted, not cheap but transforms a bike with this craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Del2005 wrote: »
    Have you checked if you can reset the throttle? I've a KTM and if you start it and leave it idle for 15 minutes then switch it off you've reset the throttle.

Have adjusted the throttle as tight as I can without impacting it when on full lock. I keep the chain tightness to the minimum spec too and I have an 02 controller fitted which stopped the hunting while at lower revs and slow speeds but it hasn't helped the on off thottle much.

H_Lime wrote: »
    https://mototuning.ie/
    What you're describing can really ruin the enjoyment of a bike, my old ktm990adv did that and I tried all the usual fixes incl yours Del but they all fell short.
    Bringing it to Gary will have it sorted, not cheap but transforms a bike with this craic.

Glad you recommended him because that's who I was considering going to. It's the only negative about the bike and coming from a Cbf1 which set the standard for good fuelling it's tough to live with any longer.

Is it worth getting the dyno run for 50 bucks more? I'm not too fussed on getting the readings as I'm sure the results of the flash would be fairly standard and I still have the stock exhaust. But does the dyno option mean the remap changes are customised for the bike?

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Is it worth getting the dyno run for 50 bucks more? I'm not too fussed on getting the readings as I'm sure the results of the flash would be fairly standard and I still have the stock exhaust. But does the dyno option mean the remap changes are customised for the bike?

Yeah I'd go for a custom tune. It's worth it having it tailored to your specific machine as no two bikes have identical flow characteristics. Being able to condlfidently float the throttle on in trickier situations like when cranked right over makes all the difference. If that transition is harsh even in the slightest it erodes your confidence in it, well it does mine anyhow.

Yeah I'd go for a custom tune. It's worth it having it tailored to your specific machine as no two bikes have identical flow characteristics. Being able to condlfidently float the throttle on in trickier situations like when cranked right over makes all the difference. If that transition is harsh even in the slightest it erodes your confidence in it, well it does mine anyhow.

Ye, sounds like you have the same problem as me. Takes a lot of finesse and at the moment I'm trailing the rear a lot to counter the lumpy throttle.

Having to make allowances for it with rear brake and clutch at times is a bummer.
    There's a fair bit of mapping to be done at all those part throttle increments and he will prob pull more power and response from playing with the ignition advance too.
    Mad yam delivered the tracer like that in this day and age, is the shock a bit agricultural too I read? It's a bike I'll prob own at some stage alright, be nice if all this was sorted for me;)

Bike has gone off to Gary today, he is doing a free pick up service during lockdown so he called up with the van this morning and hoping to have a "new" bike this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

I had similar issues with my CBR650f, I removed the Pair Valves and blocked them off which made a huge difference in throttle response,

Its a very common mod on the CBR

• Advertisement

That's a brill service and a great example of someone using his head in these shyte times to stay working.
    Bike will be transformed!

robbie_63 wrote: »
    I had similar issues with my CBR650f, I removed the Pair Valves and blocked them off which made a huge difference in throttle response,

Its a very common mod on the CBR

Ye, I had the O2 controller on it which was a cheap mod and it improved a lot.

Ye, I had the O2 controller on it which was a cheap mod and it improved a lot.

Out of Interest, how much is it to get the bike remapped?

That's a brill service and a great example of someone using his head in these shyte times to stay working.
    Bike will be transformed!

Ye, was a brilliant idea and service. I'll still be in my sweats when he drops it back LOL. I had put off getting it done when we were in and out of lockdowns and spotted he was doing this. Will have to bring it on a 5km test run tomorrow.

Well how did you get on with the remap?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Do insurers claim to have issues with this type of remap like they do ECU remaps in cars?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Do insurers claim to have issues with this type of remap like they do ECU remaps in cars?

What remap?

What remap?

Is the right answer haha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lol

I'm assuming with the bike they are not replacing the original ECU so it would be pretty difficult to know anything was done to it?

• Advertisement

6nV321.gif

6nV321.gif

I only got to ride for around 30 minutes to check it out but it surpassed my expectations, throttle response is perfect, which is what I wanted. The 3 riding modes have a much bigger gap between them. In A mode I was sliding down the seat so there was big difference to what I was used to, but it was still smooth. Some people ride in A mode all the time but I don't know how because you have to be in hoon mode yourself all the time but it's now very useable and stupid quick. The bikes power band was pretty solid throughout the range anyway but was improved further again and top end is definitely more powerful.
    I'm assuming with the bike they are not replacing the original ECU so it would be pretty difficult to know anything was done to it?

Like you say, it wouldn't be something they'd check even if it was an ECU swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

6nV321.gif

I only got to ride for around 30 minutes to check it out but it surpassed my expectations, throttle response is perfect, which is what I wanted. The 3 riding modes have a much bigger gap between them. In A mode I was sliding down the seat so there was big difference to what I was used to, but it was still smooth. Some people ride in A mode all the time but I don't know how because you have to be in hoon mode yourself all the time but it's now very useable and stupid quick. The bikes power band was pretty solid throughout the range anyway but was improved further again and top end is definitely more powerful.

Like you say, it wouldn't be something they'd check even if it was an ECU swap.

Did it get rid of all the jerkiness & how much did it set you back? Looking to get my tracer done too.

Before and after graphs?

Vikings wrote: »
    Did it get rid of all the jerkiness & how much did it set you back? Looking to get my tracer done too.

350 with no dyno.

The jerkiness is 100% gone. He removed the closed loop mode and adjusted the TPS, these can only be fixed with a flash. I'd definitely recommend it.
    Before and after graphs?

Talked about it with Gary and as my bike is stock it was an easy decision to just go with his generic map.

Advertisement