Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DISC LOCKS HOLDER DIY

Options
  • 02-12-2019 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I've a couple of ground anchors and always put on x 2 disc locks when the bike is parked up for the night.
    Want to leave the disc locks out with the anchors but no real way of fixing them so some scum doesn't take them just for the craic i.e when the bike would not be there... Any DIY thoughts or someone do similar? was thinking about running two old discs through the chains from the anchors and attaching the disc locks that way. But it's look a bit messy right? And they'd (discs) would probably start rusting right? Anyway just wondering if there's something smart and neat out there.
    Essentially all I need is some type of bracket right that I could attach to the ground anchor that is at a 90 degree angle so the disc lock could clamp on to it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABUS-holder-disc-Victory-390-435/dp/B00696RLEM
    41Y5KusgJcL._AC_.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...do you not need the disc lock when you're out & about.....isn't the idea of them ??

I can't see the sense of leaving them behind and heading off to (wherever) and not being able to lock it when you get there.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Better off getting two pieces of metal bolted to the bike that you can just bring them with you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...do you not need the disc lock when you're out & about.....isn't the idea of them ??

I can't see the sense of leaving them behind and heading off to (wherever) and not being able to lock it when you get there.....

Hi Galway,
    In work they have a secure lock up so no need, some even leave their keys etc in the bike :eek:
    Anyway the idea was just to have them with the anchors, so once home they go on and the mornings they stay.

Better off getting two pieces of metal bolted to the bike that you can just bring them with you.....
    Hi Max, As mentioned to Galwaytt, no need for them in work. Just looking for a home solution, anyway I might fashion some over the weekend and post up a pic. Cheers though,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

An old disc secured by the chain and used as a lock holder sounds about right to me.

I take it you're living in an apartment block?.. I just leave my two disc locks on the ground in my garden, and like you I've got secure parking in work, no bother with carrying locks with me :)

• Advertisement

An old disc secured by the chain and used as a lock holder sounds about right to me.

I take it you're living in an apartment block?.. I just leave my two disc locks on the ground in my garden, and like you I've got secure parking in work, no bother with carrying locks with me :)

Exactly, but there's sh!t loads of nice but very inquisitive kids that play out front of where I live, they'd innocently play or take them on to the green especially when they see the luminous cable. Anyway I'll sort something. Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lock them to the kids ?

listermint wrote: »
    Lock them to the kids ?

Make nice earrings alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

It's a bad case when you have to lock your lock so it doesn't get stolen.

I have nothing else to contribute...:D

zubair wrote: »

Indeed where does it end!

It's a
    vicious-cycle-1024x764.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

zubair wrote: »

Here's one for you..
    I went to the dump with a neighbour to give him a hand lifting a fridge and while we were putting it around a corner some prick swiped the back of his trailer.
    Camera's didn't get the reg but it was a guy in a red Nissan note.
    He put down the rear seats and squeezed it into the back.

blade1 wrote: »
    Here's one for you..
    I went to the dump with a neighbour to give him a hand lifting a fridge and while we were putting it around a corner some prick swiped the back of his trailer.

Sounds like my landlord, any day now it'll be in my house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sirmixalot wrote: »
    Hi Max, As mentioned to Galwaytt, no need for them in work. Just looking for a home solution, anyway I might fashion some over the weekend and post up a pic. Cheers though,

Are you leaving the chain in the ground anchor also? If you are why not just put an old disc on the chain and lock the locks to that? Make sure that it can't be used as leverage when you lock the bike. Or could you get a chain from a hardware store and lock it to the bike chain then lock the disc locks to it, less chance of giving the thieves leverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

blade1 wrote: »
    Here's one for you..

Do you mean he nicked the tail end part of the trailer?? What kind of a dick would do that?? Jesus I hope ye catch him and beat him with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Do you mean he nicked the tail end part of the trailer?? What kind of a dick would do that?? Jesus I hope ye catch him and beat him with it!!

Yes and we could see him on the cameras doing it.
    He looked around quickly and shoved it into the back of his car and drove off.
    We could see his face but don't think he was a local.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Are you leaving the chain in the ground anchor also? .
    Yep, everything stays put, chain sounds like the best option but wanted to do something a little neater, anyway I'll figure something out. Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

How about a simple steel plate with three holes drilled in it. One large enough that the chain passes through and two smaller ones for the disc locks? Stainless steel if you're fussy about rust. Shouldn't cost much more than €20-€30 to get something like that made up.

myclist wrote: »
    How about a simple steel plate with three holes drilled in it. One large enough that the chain passes through and two smaller ones for the disc locks? Stainless steel if you're fussy about rust. Shouldn't cost much more than €20-€30 to get something like that made up.

Yep, going down that route. Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I can give you a worn out stainless rear brake disc for nothing if it's any good to you.

Life ain't always empty.

I can give you a worn out stainless rear brake disc for nothing if it's any good to you.

That'd be great! Appreciate that. I'll DM you, Ta,

• Advertisement

It appears I can't attach an image to a PM so I'll post it here

497057.jpg

Because it's a rear brake disc, the gap from the edge is about 46mm - not all disc locks will fit this. Let me know if it's still of any use to you.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭H_Lime

497057.jpg

Because it's a rear brake disc, the gap from the edge is about 46mm - not all disc locks will fit this. Let me know if it's still of any use to you.

Kwaker?

Triumph.

Life ain't always empty.

497057.jpg

Hi ya, cheers for this offer, very good of you, the disc locks have a shorter reach than this under 40mm so I'll pass on it but nice of you to offer,

Pity. I did have to replace a front disc on a prevous bike years ago but I'm pretty sure that's not still hanging around the shed, if it does turn up I'll post here.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I've never used a disc lock..but i assumed they go through the holes ......:confused:

I've never used a disc lock..but i assumed they go through the holes ......:confused:
    Some do, depending on the mm of the bolt that is in the lock, others go past the holes into the interior part, some locks have a different depth and some parts of the discs and wheels on bikes can block the lock closing fully.

Advertisement