Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of vehicle ownership waiting time.

Options
  • 03-10-2019 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

How long does change of ownership usually take. As far as I'm aware the the dealer sent off the paperwork about 9 days ago

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

You can keep an eye on the motortax website to see when it changes over, then a few days later it'll come through the post.
    If the dealer sent it in 9 days ago, I would expect it would be updated on their system any day now.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Stick the reg number in https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/changeVehicleDetails.do and it will tell you date of last issued registration cert - if last change is not in the past few days, they probably haven't received it in Shannon yet as they are fairly quick and usually issue a new cert within 1-2 days of getting the properly completed old one. Once issued you should get it the following day depending on the time of day (i.e. before last post) it was sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭woody84

Yeah I've been checking it everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dealer can do online so quite possible he didn't even bother or did you see VLC?

Get onto them and ask at dealership.

Dealer can do online so quite possible he didn't even bother or did you see VLC?

Get onto them and ask at dealership.

Was onto the dealer. Said it was sent in alright. Might be on a bit if a go slow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Keith186

Only took two-three days for two different ones I sent in last week to update on the motortax site. Cert came in post another day or two after.

Still no joy with this. Was onto Shannon. They recieved nothing. Was onto dealer again few days ago. He said he'd write to them again. And still no change. Getting fairly fed up with waiting now.

woody84 wrote: »
    Still no joy with this. Was onto Shannon. They recieved nothing. Was onto dealer again few days ago. He said he'd write to them again. And still no change. Getting fairly fed up with waiting now.

He doesn't have to write to them, he should be able to do this online.

Did you ever see the document?

I'd say if a small time dealer he will need to do old style route and attend the motor tax office for replacement with relevent forms.

I done this for dealers years ago and could do 3 documents at a time and could be there for many many hours taking a number every so often as to be able to get another slot.

It was a pain.

Now they nearly all can do online which is great.

I'd go into the dealer to be honest.

No I actually haven't seen it tbh. But he's not a small time dealer. Has quite a large selection of bikes and seems to do quite a bit of trade so I reckon he'd probably do it online.

Also the bike was imported. Would he have the vlc once he vrt'd it?

• Advertisement

Also the bike was imported. Would he have the vlc once he vrt'd it?

That comes out once taxed.

That comes out once taxed.

So theres no paperwork I should have seen so?

So theres no paperwork I should have seen so?

You should have been able to see the v5 unless he had already done the vrt.

I'm guessing this is the hold up and as I'm guessing it hasn't been taxed then you won't get a VLC unless everything has changed.

I'd go into him get all the details needed and tax it.

You should have been able to see the v5 unless he had already done the vrt.

I'm guessing this is the hold up and as I'm guessing it hasn't been taxed then you won't get a VLC unless everything has changed.

I'd go into him get all the details needed and tax it.

Tax it while it's still in his name ?

Tax it while it's still in his name ?

No in yours. He should be sorting this for you.

No in yours. He should be sorting this for you.

I asked you that question because he suggested I could tax it under his name and he would post on the disc to me if I was in a hurry to get bike on the road

I asked you that question because he suggested I could tax it under his name and he would post on the disc to me if I was in a hurry to get bike on the road

That's your answer so.

I wonder is he doing some sales under the radar?

Definitely up to him to sort.

It will add an extra owner of you do it that way as he will be 1st Irish owner and then you.

Wont be able to get down to him till Tuesday cos I working but I'm gonna have it out with him and see what's going on

If you didn't sign the vehicle registration cert for the dealer to post to Shannon then either the dealer can do it online and he's dragging his heels for some reason or he doesn't have it which means the last registered owner (presumably the dealer?) will have to send in from RF134 (https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF134_en.pdf) to have a new cert issued which can then be used to transfer ownership to you.

Keep on to the dealer to sort it as to be fair to the lads in Shannon, they do issue new certs within 1-2 days of receipt of paperwork. I bought a bike on 28th September but cert wasn't delivered to Shannon until Oct 7th, cert issued on Oct 8th and in my hand yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I did one recently.
    6 working days and I had the taxbook back.

• Advertisement

If you didn't sign the vehicle registration cert for the dealer to post to Shannon then either the dealer can do it online and he's dragging his heels for some reason or he doesn't have it which means the last registered owner (presumably the dealer?) will have to send in from RF134 (https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF134_en.pdf) to have a new cert issued which can then be used to transfer ownership to you.

Keep on to the dealer to sort it as to be fair to the lads in Shannon, they do issue new certs within 1-2 days of receipt of paperwork. I bought a bike on 28th September but cert wasn't delivered to Shannon until Oct 7th, cert issued on Oct 8th and in my hand yesterday.

Sorry just saw the posts re it being an import - above probably not relevant!

I was talking to him Tuesday and he said he'd get onto it and that it probably take a few days to be processed. So I'll give him till next Tuesday

I was talking to him Tuesday and he said he'd get onto it and that it probably take a few days to be processed. So I'll give him till next Tuesday

I'd say he just hasnt bothered as if he is doing anything the old school way it will take time....

Just keep at him and say you need it done. You need to get it roadworthy and you want the VLC in your name as it's the only way.

I'd say he just hasnt bothered as if he is doing anything the old school way it will take time....

Just keep at him and say you need it done. You need to get it roadworthy and you want the VLC in your name as it's the only way.

Will do but itll be my first and last dealings with him

Will do but itll be my first and last dealings with him

If everything else is good and price and so on I wouldn't let that ruin it completely unless he is an absolute tool.

Id say if like me he forgot, left it till the last and was doing other things....
    Not an excuse but just something to think about.

Just keep at him

If everything else is good and price and so on I wouldn't let that ruin it completely unless he is an absolute tool.

Id say if like me he forgot, left it till the last and was doing other things....
    Not an excuse but just something to think about.

Just keep at him

Will do. I'll let ye know how I get on in the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A guy I knew got f**ked around for a whole year by the dealer he bought his bike off, turned out the dealer didn't have the VLC and they eventually managed to chase up the previous owner.

I wouldn't buy a bike on a UK plate (unless I was collecting it from the UK) and I certainly wouldn't buy a bike on an Irish plate unless the seller had the VLC and completed the change of ownership form in front of me.

Life ain't always empty.

Success. Finally changed into my name. Now I have a question. Went to tax it but principal insurance is not on the list. What do I do?

Success. Finally changed into my name. Now I have a question. Went to tax it but principal insurance is not on the list. What do I do?

They most likely are underwritten..
    Maybe AXA or similar.

• Advertisement

Sorted. Another problem off my mind. Cheers lads for the help as always

Advertisement