Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike too heavy...

Options
  • 02-10-2019 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Anyone any ideas or advice please?

Got a big bike on finance before I finished my IBT, and although it's grand on the straight, I'm finding 'stop turns' and roundabouts... any precision required turns at all really, too difficult. Anyway I was planning on just practicing but I fell off it today and couldn't lift it up and it's really knocked my confidence..

I've only been riding approx 3 weeks, occasionally, and I absolutely love it but really feel a lighter frame would be better, especially while I am learning.

My questions are, can I transfer finance to another bike (too embarrassed to ask the shop yet) and if so, any ideas on an appropriate bike for an 8 stone, 5ft 4 girl?

Ideally with both feet touching the ground and one that I could lift up if I fell again...:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Got a big bike on finance before I finished my IBT, and although it's grand on the straight, I'm finding 'stop turns' and roundabouts... any precision required turns at all really, too difficult. Anyway I was planning on just practicing but I fell off it today and couldn't lift it up and it's really knocked my confidence..

I've only been riding approx 3 weeks, occasionally, and I absolutely love it but really feel a lighter frame would be better, especially while I am learning.

My questions are, can I transfer finance to another bike (too embarrassed to ask the shop yet) and if so, any ideas on an appropriate bike for an 8 stone, 5ft 4 girl?

Ideally with both feet touching the ground and one that I could lift up if I fell again...:confused:

Dont freak, your learning so go easy on yourself:)
    https://youtu.be/84YfDGKA4Og
    Have a watch. Within reason, bike depending and your strength/mobility, you could lift the bike.

Stop turns will become easier as you twig the relationship between the clutch biting point, throttle control and using the rear brake to adjust. Looking where you want to go is key.

Both feet down as a beginner would be good but as you're here perhaps look into the possibility of lowering the bike (whats the bike?) or even wearing a boot with a bit of a thicker sole. I've a pair of meindle army boots that make a very tall bike I own so much easier to negotiate.

Ultimately if after a time the bike proves to be too much of a handful for now then don't worry about anyones interpretations about changing it, it's yours that matters.
    Anyway be patient and dont panic, it will all click eventually. I remember riding my first bike home like it was yesterday, was absolutely sh1tting it but like I say it will come together!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a trick to lifting it up, no matter how light you are yourself.
    The feet not able to touch the ground I wouldn't like, especially with a very heavy bike.

It's early days though, stick with it, especially over the not so nice weather from now on in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Have a look at this video and try to practice the technique - https://youtu.be/HhUj7EJhZiE

What bike do you have now that you think is too heavy? Usually being able to get a firm footing when stopped is more of a problem than the weight.. weight only comes into play it you're already in trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Many riders would struggle to lift their bikes single-handedly.
    Then there's the dilemma of not wanting an audience but needing some assistance.
    It's happened everyone. Just as long as you step out of the way as it goes down!

Changes to finance? More commission charges maybe. The shop and broker will be delighted.
    Maybe think about fitting some crash bungs or bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

I'd advise more lessons. Things like stop turns and roundabouts are something you need to practice over and over again but have the technique right from the start. Height and weight shouldn't matter. You only need your left foot to touch the ground. I've seen girls your size handle massive Harley's with no bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Do not give up yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Some good tutorials available on youtube also.
    I came across a channel called MCRider recently that I'd recommend. Kevin a trainer in Texas covers every topic you could think of - incl. essential machine handling skills of course.
    I like his old-school, scripted delivery; not a top-gun rider ad-libbing into his helmet mic.
    Worthwhile for experienced riders too I thought, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Thank you for your replies and advice.

I do think more lessons are needed, especially on this bike, I will also watch the videos you have recommended, have been watching motojitsu and he said if you can't lift your bike it's too big.. but I guess the goal is to not go down in the first place!

Crash bars.. maybe...

It's a Honda Hornet 600cc btw and I do love her! I think I'm more embarrassed that I fell.. at least I had my helmet on so no one could see my red face!

Also.. I've never noticed as a car driver just how ****ty some care drivers can be but I'm not giving up at all, just need to go back to the drawing board so to to speak.

Thank you all again for being nice!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Handy

I do think more lessons are needed, especially on this bike, I will also watch the videos you have recommended, have been watching motojitsu and he said if you can't lift your bike it's too big.. but I guess the goal is to not go down in the first place!

Crash bars.. maybe...

It's a Honda Hornet 600cc btw and I do love her! I think I'm more embarrassed that I fell.. at least I had my helmet on so no one could see my red face!

Also.. I've never noticed as a car driver just how ****ty some care drivers can be but I'm not giving up at all, just need to go back to the drawing board so to to speak.

Thank you all again for being nice!:)

I wouldn't worry too much about this. It almost happens to everyone including myself.
    When I started biking I bought a Bandit 600, drove it to work the same day and dropped it in the underground car park as the surface was quite slippy.
    I wasn't able to lift the bike up myself and I'm a 6ft3 tall fellow albeit with a dodgy back.
    So my colleagues were giving me a helping hand but yes I was embarrassed. Thank god the damage was limited to a snapped off indicator light.

I did knock my confidence for a bit but you will get over it.
    Just take it easy and take another few lessons. You ll be grand.
    Don't get rid of the Hornet yet. It's a lovely bike with plenty of power :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a few bikes but the most fun and easy to work with is my MSX 125, small light bikes are really underrated in terms of how much confidence they give learners and this is one of the issues I have with the way that learners are automatically put onto larger heavier machines straight away to comply with the A regs.

4 cylinder 600cc bikes will always be heavy it's the nature of the beast.
    Using lighter machines with low seat heights makes a lot of sense but because of the all the new regulations people are being forced to use bikes which are in many cases much heavier than they are able to manage.
    I would consider myself fairly strong and I would struggle to lift some learner machines even using the back lift technique.

100kg of MSX is such an easy bike to handle, I have taught both my kids to ride with a PW80 and I let them ride the MSX and my son just jumped on and was able to pull away despite never having ridden a full manual before. (PW is semi auto)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi op, I came off the bikes many times over the years and hopefully it won't stop you as it is great fun.

As others said there is a method to lifting....

If it falls on the right, kick out the stand and depending on your strength it is usually easiest to go backwards to your bike with your bum against the tank area... Grap the handlebars and turn towards you, grab frame with right hand and basically walk backwards while lifting the bike...also make sure it's in gear so you get no roll as soon as the wheels hit the road again as this could throw you of balance if in neutral.

Now I'm not too sure on the hornet but many bikes have adjustable suspension which is something you could look at to lower it a little to help.

Do you wear boots?

See can you get ones with bigger soles....

Where are you based??? Some on here could help you out and show how to pick bike up etc or even ask your instructor.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

trust me, anyone can pickup a big bike thats fallen over. There is just a method to it.

Im 6'1 14 stone and when i dropped my first big bike (wasnt that big Kawsaki ER6) i also couldnt lift it up. But i was just doing it wrong and was panicking in the middle of the road.

This is a good method if you are small/not that strong.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ElX3QlBGj0

Put some cardboard on the ground and get someone to help you lower the bike on its side and do some practice picking it up.

Also slow cornering is a learned skill, you will get it, it takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

First off, don't give in yet.

I'll be honest - if I come off or drop my bike - and I have - I'm not going to kill myself trying to pick it up on my own. I ask for help - whoever is with me, person on the footpath etc. Don't let this be an obstacle : we ALL fall off, occasionally, so you're in good company. When you get to that level of confidence you'll do it.

My S.O. is smaller than you I'd say, and rides a 'big bike' with no issues, even if her skill levels aren't as high as they could be (needs to use the bike more).

You're right to one extent, slow riding is where the skill is at, and all it needs is practice, practice, practice.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Genuinely get out into an empty quiet carpark and drive around in circles for 2 hours. Literally do figure of 8's both side. right then left and do them until you can get them as tight as you possibly can. then drive out of them in straight line and do them in other end of car park and same again.

You have to master slow control and at that point you will be comfortable.

Repeat this process at least once a week for a month . It will come natural to you at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

As above - don't give up. We'll all been there, done that.

Dropped my bike in the middle of a country road on a ride out. Mortified. But, best option was to flag down someone to give me a hand. That little bit of shock, panic, nervous adrenaline, generally means you're not really thinking straight, so jumping in to pick up a 250kg bike is not a great idea. Calm it down, take a breath, compose yourself, stay safe.

Practice, and some ongoing training are important.

You could sign up to IART RoSPA group, they do Ride School events, last one was purely focused on slow-speed manoeuvring. Next one is October 19th, focused on braking technique with exercises - http://www.rospaiart.ie/

Good luck!

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I dropped the instructors bike when doing my ITB trying to make a right turn at a Stop sign.. it was on a slant as well with big crash bars the bike practically did a 180 with wheels near pointing to the sky, there was 3 cars behing me and 2 other lads doign the IBT as well.

It happens us all so I wouldn't worry. Watch that video that was posted about picking the bike up because it's all about the technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Are the tyres new or young? As they get more worn the bike 'tracks' more, making handling harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You'll notice the trend here, we've all had to pick up our bikes at some point. As some of the guys pointed out you should watch a video of the back lift as it's the only way to get one upright again. I wouldnt be able to pick up a bike any other way.

I don't think the hornet is too heavy for you to be honest, I've had one and they have a low saddle. You'd struggle to find lower without a kit. I think you're just having doubts after the fall which is understandable.

More to the point and to help you avoid future drops, definitely stick with it, starting out you should use lots of back brake for those low speed turns and stopped turns, don't try and put your right foot down, you need to keep that brake covered for control. The same goes for roundabouts. Counter lean if you need to, ie dip the bike into the turn while you lean against it. And keep your hands off the front break when you're turning, which I assume caused the fall. Your nerves will work against you now so be confident in your training, the instructor signed you off because you have the skills needed to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭gipi

Have a look for Daytona Ladystar bike boots. They will add an inch or so to your height, which could make all the difference.

I had a BMW F650gs and had it lowered by 1 inch, and also had the Daytonas. Both helped.

Thanks everyone! I'm actually delighted you all fell off your bikes too!

Feel a little bit better :) Everyone has been very encouraging and I will take all of that advice on board.

I'm in Clondalkin in Dublin and I'm going to start with practicing in Industrial estates for hours every chance I get and then look for an instructor to tell me where I can improve or what I'm doing wrong.

As for the boots question, yeah I wear boots but not with a thick sole.. will check them out to see would they make a difference..

Thank you all X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Good thing to do too is to gently lay your bike on the side and practice lifting it up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Most guys would struggle to lift their bikes , best plan try to stay upright. Ride safe and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

thos wrote: »
    As above - don't give up. We'll all been there, done that.

Dropped my bike in the middle of a country road on a ride out. Mortified. But, best option was to flag down someone to give me a hand. That little bit of shock, panic, nervous adrenaline, generally means you're not really thinking straight, so jumping in to pick up a 250kg bike is not a great idea. Calm it down, take a breath, compose yourself, stay safe.

Practice, and some ongoing training are important.

You could sign up to IART RoSPA group, they do Ride School events, last one was purely focused on slow-speed manoeuvring. Next one is October 19th, focused on braking technique with exercises - http://www.rospaiart.ie/

Good luck!

Tom

What's the crack with the RoSPA ?
    Sounds pretty good from the website.
    Are you a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

honda boi wrote: »
    Are you a member?

RoSPA is an advanced rider standard and is for example a requirement for anyone to ride bikes for Blood Bike West, as it's an advanced road riding standard (as distinct from a Dept of Environment licence-attaining standard).

It's based on the UK Police riding system as laid out in the manual 'RoadCraft', which you can get in Eason's etc.

Even if you never do RoSPA, it's a good book and the info invaluable.

You train, apply for a test (which is given by a current/retired Garda in this country), and you are certified for 3 years. There is Bronze, Silver & Gold standards to attain - all of which attract insurance discounts.

There are groups and instructors around the country, Munster has good coverage, as does Galway, I'm not familiar with anywhere else tbh.

I find it has made a huge difference to how I ride, and made me much smoother and aware.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

honda boi wrote: »
    Are you a member?

Some insurance companies will reduce depending on stage covered.

Some classes are done by instructor and Gardai...

It's great to add to skills you could really do with.

Every day is a learning day and always remember nobody sees you and even if you think they're looking at you they most likely are looking right through you...

Don't trust any indication and leave space....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JamesEIRE

It's a Honda Hornet 600cc)

If you don't mind me asking a quick question of my own. Whats your insurance for that type of bike? I'm in the middle of waiting for my service card to be posted so can apply for my theory test. Going for the A licence as well
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

Feel a little bit better :) Everyone has been very encouraging and I will take all of that advice on board.

I'm in Clondalkin in Dublin and I'm going to start with practicing in Industrial estates for hours every chance I get and then look for an instructor to tell me where I can improve or what I'm doing wrong.

As for the boots question, yeah I wear boots but not with a thick sole.. will check them out to see would they make a difference..

Thank you all X

I wear New Rocks on my bike, the only way I can reach the ground at all. I got the Daytona Ladystars which have a lift, but I didn't find it enough. I'm only 5'2" and used to ride a CBR600, on an SV 650 now, much lighter. Both did have to be lowered for me also.

Its all practice and you'll be grand. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

Thank you all X

like everyone else, we have all dropped bikes in one form or another.

What you need to build is confidence. Sometimes you can fall over when in reality, you may not have if you understand me.

practice makes perfect, so i would suggest getting lessons and getting to know your bike better. Crash bars are handy and if they make you feel better why not. An alternative to bars are crash mushrooms.

I would also suggest getting more lessons for slow bike control and maneuvering. If you have someone who can go with you to assist you when going to a private car park to practice or wherever, thats a good idea.

When going in and out of cones or use small plastic / paper cups placed on the ground, start of with large distances between the cones and gradually move them closer, all the time focusing on where you need to be and in the right gear - engine gear. No clutch. it will start off iffy, but you will build to maintain a constant throttle as you get better.

Always keep an eye on tyre pressure this can alter the "feel" of the bike, same with chain tension / maintenance.

Always look where you want to go, not look down, as you will inevitably go where you look - same when someone comes across your path ( but hopefully not ), always look for the escape route, dont focus on the danger.

Re boots, Daytona boots as mentioned do come with inner heel raises so that will help. They are not cheap boots but a 10 yr warranty, superb comfort and being fully waterproof - they are worth it. M@ddocks in Bray stock them - they have a big hill going down to their shop fyi, but it shouldnt trouble you.

JamesEIRE wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking a quick question of my own. Whats your insurance for that type of bike? I'm in the middle of waiting for my service card to be posted so can apply for my theory test. Going for the A licence as well
    Thanks in advance

Hey James,

I got quoted €700 with Principle which I happily accepted as Liberty would not insure that engine size for me!

• Advertisement

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    I wear New Rocks on my bike, the only way I can reach the ground at all. I got the Daytona Ladystars which have a lift, but I didn't find it enough. I'm only 5'2" and used to ride a CBR600, on an SV 650 now, much lighter. Both did have to be lowered for me also.

Its all practice and you'll be grand. Best of luck with it.

Thanks CBR Lizzie! I am getting out as much as possible and thankfully I'm not worried about falling over now, feel I know the bike a bit more!

I'm keeping her anyway, love getting on her now that I don't feel my heart beating with fear at falling over. Its just the parking issue now but that's minor. Need to get her cleaned up and start trying to maintain her myself!

Advertisement