Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain and Sprocket Replacement

Options
  • 02-10-2019 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

Hi all, have a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 in need of a new chain and sprockets. I'm guessing it is not really a DIY job for a lad with limited spanner skills. What kind of money would a motorcycle shop be for the job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

veetwin wrote: »
    Hi all, have a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 in need of a new chain and sprockets. I'm guessing it is not really a DIY job for a lad with limited spanner skills. What kind of money would a motorcycle shop be for the job?
    €200-€220 including the cost of chain and sprocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

UrbanFret wrote: »
    €200-€220 including the cost of chain and sprocket.
    Doubt it..good chain and sprockets will be at least 160-80....probably more like 300

be interested to know what you pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It is a job for anyone with tools and an interest in mechanics

Ive changed 2 chains no problems. But stress that's it's not for everyone if you've only a couple of tools and are only partially confident then just pay for it to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah I would say closer to the €300 mark for a decent chain (D.I.D) and sprocket (J.T). Deffo not for the inexperienced as its a really important part of the motorbike that you dont wanna "wing it".

Maybe go to a small dealer and ask can you watch them fit it if they dont mind, and you will learn little by little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Thanks all for the replies. Got it done in Franklins in Swords for €260 with a DID chain and JT sprockets. They also did a couple of more small jobs included in the price. Sound lads there and a nice showroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Watch does the rivet link keep a kink on the lower chain run after going round the tight radius of the front sprocket. If it does they done fukt up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Doubt it..good chain and sprockets will be at least 160-80....probably more like 300

be interested to know what you pay...

Moto Tempo in Lisnaskea will do it for that price. Granted I would expect it to be dearer in the bigger towns and Cities .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

IMG-20191118-163641.jpg
    No more half assed chinesium riveters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

H_Lime wrote: »
    IMG-20191118-163641.jpg
    No more half assed chinesium riveters.

Nice!

Advertisement