Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant alleging discrimination as evicting

Options
  • 12-08-2018 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I gave notice to my tenants to leave my property, as my brother is moving in, last week. My brothers circumstances have changed so I’m getting a lot of pressure from my parents to let him move in. I got a text from my tenants saying that I gave the wrong number of days notice (I did, I got confused with how long they were living there) but they also said that I’m evicting as I’m discriminating against them as I refused to take HAP. This is completely untrue! I have never received forms etc from them about HAP. They have been in touch with Threshold and they are sending a complaint to the RTB. I’m really worried about them saying that I’m discriminating and what will happen with the RTB. I’m going to resend the notice with the correct number of days tomorrow. I’m really worried about this. There is no other reason to evict only that my brother is moving in. Has this happened to anyone or has anyone any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Do you own the property?
    If so, they are not tenants, but licencees.
    They have no where near the same rights.
    I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

Edit - I assumed you're living in it too?
    See below if not!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Do you own the property?
    If so, they are not tenants, but licencees.
    They have no where near the same rights.
    I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

That’s only if you live in the property.

OP have a solicitor draft up the notification and once it’s all done correctly you’ll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭The Student

Justme82 wrote: »
    I gave notice to my tenants to leave my property, as my brother is moving in, last week. My brothers circumstances have changed so I’m getting a lot of pressure from my parents to let him move in. I got a text from my tenants saying that I gave the wrong number of days notice (I did, I got confused with how long they were living there) but they also said that I’m evicting as I’m discriminating against them as I refused to take HAP. This is completely untrue! I have never received forms etc from them about HAP. They have been in touch with Threshold and they are sending a complaint to the RTB. I’m really worried about them saying that I’m discriminating and what will happen with the RTB. I’m going to resend the notice with the correct number of days tomorrow. I’m really worried about this. There is no other reason to evict only that my brother is moving in. Has this happened to anyone or has anyone any advice?

Once you give correct notice and have the statutory declaration you will be ok. They are just trying to intimidate you. Issue the correct notice and statutory dec and you will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

sounds like threshold told them to pull some tricks, get legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

This is sabre rattling. Noise. Nuisance.

Stand firm against these f#ckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Justme82

Time wrote: »
    That’s only if you live in the property.

OP have a solicitor draft up the notification and once it’s all done correctly you’ll be fine.

I don’t live in the property, I moved in with my other half so I rented it out. I had a commissioner of oaths sign the declaration for me. I will redo it tomorrow with the correct number of days and send it again. Thank you!

sounds like threshold told them to pull some tricks, get legal advice.

I think so too. I haven’t received any forms etc about HAP

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think so too. I haven’t received any forms etc about HAP

very easy to fill out forms with an old date or something, in the eyes of the 'tenants always right' prtb you are the all powerful mr. burns landlord and they are but a weak tenant who would never lie.

very easy to fill out forms with an old date or something, in the eyes of the 'tenants always right' prtb you are the all powerful mr. burns landlord and they are but a weak tenant who would never lie.

Ha ha I wish I was Mr Burns! They are lying through their teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I don’t live in the property, I moved in with my other half so I rented it out. I had a commissioner of oaths sign the declaration for me. I will redo it tomorrow with the correct number of days and send it again. Thank you!

That’s just as good, you’ll be fine once there’s no other mistake. The accusation around HAP is nonsense, even if you were refusing HAP, that’s a separate issue and the statutory declaration would be sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

prepare to have them drag this out for 18 months

also brace yourself in case they stop rental payments if so you just have to wait foe the rtb hearings and court enforcement takes a long time. very common and then you have to go the long process of the rtb to get them out. if hap was passing you it would of covered the dispute period.

they will be desperate with no where to go on hap so if this doesn't end up screwing you badly I would be very suprised

If you get financially ruined on this I would be blaming the parents and brother for pushing you into it.

solicitors can be an expensive waste of time, best read up and know the act inside out yourself, your next step will be a rtb fine if your not registered, then waiting 3 months for their hearing

if they appeal or delay that then There's a tribunal takes another 4 months, then if they still don't leave you can push the rtb to go to the courts takes more time and sheriff's take time and cost about 2k now

If tax affairs are in order good. if they are not and they contact collector general be ready for 50% of the rent back monthly in tax to revenue who live putting leans on houses these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Unfortunately UTMBuilder is spelling out the cold hard facts of the situation.
    The tenants have now gone to Threshold- who will advise them of any possible device they can use to frustrate your attempts to retrieve your property.
    Get good advice on absolutely everything you do from hereon out- you can't afford to make mistakes- such as the silly one with the wrong dates on the notice.
    Be prepared for this to get drawn out and messy........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

When serving your notice, get your solicitor to add a note stating that you have no record of ever receiving application for HAP and that you reject the accusation of discrimination on this basis.

Act quickly, do not delay one day, if they send you a registered letter with HAP forms, it makes their case stronger. Hand deliver it today, take a newspaper with today's date and record delivery on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

davo10 wrote: »
    When serving your notice, get your solicitor to add a note stating that you have no record of ever receiving application for HAP and that you reject the accusation of discrimination on this basis.

Act quickly, do not delay one day, if they send you a registered letter with HAP forms, it makes their case stronger. Hand deliver it today, take a newspaper with today's date and record delivery on your phone.

Then the tenants will accuse the OP of not allowing them quiet enjoyment of their home. Better send it registered and if not accepted then do a hand delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Del2005 wrote: »
    Then the tenants will accuse the OP of not allowing them quiet enjoyment of their home. Better send it registered and if not accepted then do a hand delivery.

Hand delivery is an accepted form of service. Op has to get the notice to the tenant before the tenant gets the HAP forms to him/her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

OP if the tenants have gotten threshold involved, like otherwise said expect this to be drawn out. All threshold do in many cases is waste the already stretched resources of the RTB. I am dealing with them at present and their behaviour is a disgrace.
    I suggest getting a solicitor to assist to ensure all is in order.
    Good luck

garhjw wrote: »
    OP if the tenants have gotten threshold involved, like otherwise said expect this to be drawn out. All threshold do in many cases is waste the already stretched resources of the RTB. I am dealing with them at present and their behaviour is a disgrace.
    I suggest getting a solicitor to assist to ensure all is in order.
    Good luck

Or just pay them to leave. Unfortunately it's the cheapest and quickest way to get your property back.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 crkcvnirl

On a slightly different angle. It's good of your mum and brother to cause you this hassle, but when your brother finally moves in will he be on near market rent? Will his payment cover the bills generated eg property tax, insurances, maintenance etc

To facilitate his moving in, who'll foot the potential bill for any legal expense you'll incur dealing with the current tenants? If they damage the place pre-moving out their deposits may not cover that, so who'll help you foot that bill?

Just something for you to think about.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Make sure you have the correct notice given. Send by Swift post with no signature required. Get that out as soon as possible. Use the format on rtb site to the letter of the law. Do not mention the text on discrimination as they then have ammunition. Just send with the statutory declaration and give then one day above what is required.

Forget about the discrimination statement. They are clutching at straws. Rtb do not look at discrimination it is another body that looks at that. You are not discriminating against them..your brother needs the house. The discrimination may work in your favour as they are making a false accusation. Keep this as ammo if required. Next thing get a solicitor that has experience with rtb cases well worth every penny speaking from experience. If you go to rtb on your own they will find against you even if you are right. Also you can write your legal costs against your tax bill. Think before you speak or text as they can be held against you.

By the way get all the texts and calls and right up a log to give to your solicitor. Very helpful if rtb see you had a good relationship with them until you gave notice. These people forget they need a reference when they leave and when they move to a second property they will see what they are really like.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Totally disagree I found prtb to be impartial and professional.

• Advertisement

Keep copies of everything as well.

Rtb is the same as court. Don't assume it is just a chat. Hopefully it will not come to it.
    I think rtb is fair only when you have a solicitor defending your case or when you are appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Visconti wrote: »
    Totally disagree I found prtb to be impartial and professional.

Which side of the dispute were you on?

Turnipman wrote: »

Landlord. Tennant trashed my house, didnt pay the rent for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

Turnipman wrote: »

You had an easy extreme case. Normally RTB adjudicators will provide free legal advice to the tenants during the hearing. This is NOT the job they are paid for.

I do think that the extreme case of OP's tenant taking the case all the way to the RTB Tribunal is quite unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Ha ha I wish I was Mr Burns! They are lying through their teeth

Plenty of landlords are using the relatives' excuse to get tenants out too though. It happened to me twice, so it is far from an uncommon occurrence.

Did you get your 3 months rent and how much compensation did you get for the damage?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Did you get your 3 months rent and how much compensation did you get for the damage?

I got a court judgement and then handed it over to the sherrif. The sherrif calling to them got me an agreement per week which is being paid.
    Prtb did everything they could within their remit.
    I won the case and in the end caused the scum tenant almost as much stress as they caused me.
    Prtb wont hand it to you on a plate but will be fair and can only work with what you give them.

GGTrek wrote: »
    You had an easy extreme case. Normally RTB adjudicators will provide free legal advice to the tenants during the hearing. This is NOT the job they are paid for.

I do think that the extreme case of OP's tenant taking the case all the way to the RTB Tribunal is quite unlikely.

Easy case ? Did I ?

I got a court judgement and then handed it over to the sherrif. The sherrif calling to them got me an agreement per week which is being paid.
    Prtb did everything they could within their remit.
    I won the case and in the end caused the scum tenant almost as much stress as they caused me.
    Prtb wont hand it to you on a plate but will be fair and can only work with what you give them.

Just out of interest did you go through rtb, and then have to go to court and then the sherriff? What did it cost you to go to rtb, the court and sherriff? Did you charge to tenant for your time and the solicitor or barrister? Also was the person working or on social?

Many solicitors will say you are wasting your time if they are on social. ..that is why landlords are not interested in schemes like rent allowance or the new HAP that sides with the council.

• Advertisement

tvjunki wrote: »
    Just out of interest did you go through rtb, and then have to go to court and then the sherriff? What did it cost you to go to rtb, the court and sherriff? Did you charge to tenant for your time and the solicitor or barrister? Also was the person working or on social?

Many solicitors will say you are wasting your time if they are on social. ..that is why landlords are not interested in schemes like rent allowance or the new HAP that sides with the council.

Prtb held the hearing in their office near oconnell street.
    I won the hearing and prtb gave a judgement for almost everything I had claimed for.
    Prtb at my request brought it to circuit court and the judge then sided with me also. (Tenant never turned up)
    I then got the official judgement and brought it to the sherrif and asked them to enforce the judgement and take goods etc to the value of my judgement.
    The tenant buckled and made an offer to pay all the money with a weekly payment it will take 10 years.
    I have been receiving the money every week by direct debit.
    I have the file put away but could get it out for technical terms if people need clarification.
    Prtb are impartial in my experience.

Advertisement