Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pakistani businessman wants to convert historic convent into a Mosque

• 13-07-2017 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

Not sure whether there's already a thread on the topic or not

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/row-breaks-out-over-proposed-plans-to-convert-historic-convent-into-mosque-35924150.html

Personally, I would be very much opposed to this. We are not an Islamic country, and while I believe in their right to practice their religion, I don't believe it should be extended to the construction of/conversion into mosques. It's just going to give the anti-Islamists something to harass by doing things like sending pages of the Quran and bacon, and we know all too well from the experiences in continental Europe how insidious Saudi money can be towards mosques.

I also can't imagine it doing too-well in Roscommon of all places.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd have absolutely no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I dunno, the demand for churches is falling and the demand for mosques is growing. If we don't do something with the buildings they'll be set on fire. Like St. Kevins in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Joey Jo-Jo Junior

AnGaelach wrote: »
    while I believe in their right to practice their religion, I don't believe it should be extended to the construction of/conversion into mosques. It's just going to give the anti-Islamists something to harass by doing things like sending pages of the Quran and bacon,
    Go back and read this bit again very very carefully. Very.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Ballaghaderreen has a large Muslim population so having a mosque there would make more sense than most places. The nearby town of Ballyhaunis has a mosque.

That said, I believe this is the same guy who poppped up claiming to speak for the Syrian refugees in Ballagh, complaining about everything. He seems like an utter prick who is trying to use the refugees to promote himself and pressure the government for funding.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

We are not an Islamic country, and while I believe in their right to practice their religion, I don't believe it should be extended to the construction of/conversion into mosques.

Where then should they practise their faith? Don't forget that the British refused to allow Catholic Churches to be built or retained, resulting in masses taking place at rocks and in fields. So basically not allowing people to have a house of worship is part of a campaign to deny them their right to practise their religion.
    It's just going to give the anti-Islamists something to harass by doing things like sending pages of the Quran and bacon

That's a bit of a strange argument. Refuse to let people exercise their rights because it might encourage other people to harass them! It's not a million miles away from the argument that women should be forced into Burkhas to stop men objectifying them on the street.
    and we know all too well from the experiences in continental Europe how insidious Saudi money can be towards mosques.

There is a legitimate issue of concern about Saudi government funding of mosques, particularly since the Saudi sponsored forms of Islam - Wahabism etc - tend to be extremist views. But this isn't a case of Saudi money paying for it. It seems to be one man taking on a project, not a State backed project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

House for pretend Christian god gets magic water sprinkled on it and becomes house for pretend Islamic god. The world turns.

Instead of a priest in a dress preaching about how a book from 2000 years ago is the literal world of god and we're all sinners and women cant be priests and we should all fast and give him our money, there'll be someone with a different accent and a slightly newer book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

JMNolan wrote: »
    The demand for churches is falling and the demand for mosques is growing.

That doesn't sound good, Islam is on the march :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

It's being unoccupied for 20 years so what's wrong with someone wanting to use it again for a place of worship.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It's being unoccupied for 20 years so what's wrong with someone wanting to use it again for a place of worship.?

The fact we're not an Islamic country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

AnGaelach wrote:
    The fact we're not an Islamic country?

So, you actually think there should be no non Catholic worship...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

AnGaelach wrote:
    Personally, I would be very much opposed to this. We are not an Islamic country, and while I believe in their right to practice their religion, I don't believe it should be extended to the construction of/conversion into mosques. It's just going to give the anti-Islamists something to harass by doing things like sending pages of the Quran and bacon, and we know all too well from the experiences in continental Europe how insidious Saudi money can be towards mosques.

Once he uses private money no state funding to praise invisible friends/ deities etc and it is not used for radicalization, couldn't care less. Buildings down through the ages have been adapted for different purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As a person who wants this country to help genuine people fleeing war his comments disappoint me.

If it's such a bad place they can go back to where they came from if they like. What he wants is these people to get nice big houses and cars while we work for it. I don't want them going without food and shelter and I don't want them in a kip but I guarantee what they have right now is 100 times better then what they fled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Info missing is what sect of Islam will attend the mosque?
    Who will sponsor it? Saudi Arabia? Qatar?

Tbh, I'd rather not replace one bad religion with a worse one.

So, you actually think there should be no non Catholic worship...?

No, I simply don't wish Islam to be endorsed in Ireland. We've seen the disastrous effect of allowing mosques to pop up in Britain and continental Europe. I'd rather not replicate it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Glenster wrote: »
    House for pretend Christian god gets magic water sprinkled on it and becomes house for pretend Islamic god. The world turns.

Instead of a priest in a dress preaching about how a book from 2000 years ago is the literal world of god and we're all sinners and women cant be priests and we should all fast and give him our money, there'll be someone with a different accent and a slightly newer book.

Catholicism never actually taught the Bible as literal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

No, I simply don't wish Islam to be endorsed in Ireland. We've seen the disastrous effect of allowing mosques to pop up in Britain and continental Europe. I'd rather not replicate it here.

So, when you said...
    ...while I believe in their right to practice their religion...

... you were talking complete bollocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

AnGaelach wrote:

So...no mosques specifically. That seems a bit discriminatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

What would you suggest to do with the building OP?
    Convert it in to a night club? A pub? A cattle shed? Or just force the locals to start going to mass...regardless of their faith.

Catholicism never actually taught the Bible as literal.

You ever hear about the Spanish Inquisition?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

So your saying if we have more mosques in this country, then there is more chance of a terrorist attack happening ???? These terrorists don't plot and scheme in mosques you know. You clearly have never been to a mosque before

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    So, when you said...

... you were talking complete bollocks?

They can practice it in the privacy of their homes, but I certainly don't agree with endorsing it publicly. I'm also against allowing scientology to set up shop in Ireland, but that doesn't mean I'm going to force them to recant their beliefs or face the rod ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,311 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Where then should they practise their faith? Don't forget that the British refused to allow Catholic Churches to be built or retained, resulting in masses taking place at rocks and in fields. So basically not allowing people to have a house of worship is part of a campaign to deny them their right to practise their religion.

That's it. Try to make him figure out who he hates more, the brits or the muslims :)

So...no mosques specifically. That seems a bit discriminatory.

Well that is because it is. You don't see Hindus blowing up children in Manchester, or Orthodox Christians radicalising themselves in preparation for religious conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

They can practice it in the privacy of their homes, but I certainly don't agree with endorsing it publicly. I'm also against allowing scientology to set up shop in Ireland, but that doesn't mean I'm going to force them to recant their beliefs or face the rod ffs.

yet a religion that locked up young women and protected paedophiles is grand.

So your saying if we have more mosques in this country, then there is more chance of a terrorist attack happening ???? These terrorists don't plot and scheme in mosques you know. You clearly have never been to a mosque before

Where do you think radicalisation has occurred? We've already had an Islamic cleric tell us there's rampant radicalisation going on in the Mosque in Clonskeagh.

Or is he a filthy Islamaphobe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You ever hear about the Spanish Inquisition?

What has that got to do with Bible literalism?

Well that is because it is. You don't see Hindus blowing up children in Manchester, or Orthodox Christians radicalising themselves in preparation for religious conflict.

No you see hindus killing people who eat beef in India. You see hindu's committing honor attacks in the UK. You see Hindu's killing and rioting because there are muslims nearby in India.

Strangely you do occasionally see Irish Catholics blowing up kids in the UK. Or killing cops in Ireland. Should we think carefully about having Irish catholics who believe in a republic in this country?

Number of attack by Irish republicans in Ireland = fcuk loads.
    Number of attacks by muslims = 0

But yeah, lets be scared of the brown skinned ones. They're soooooo dangerous.

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That's a false dichotomy. Does political freedom in Germany extend to being members of neo-Nazi groups? No. We have the right, as a sovereign people, to choose who we wish to allow in our society and who we do not.

It's not an ultimate right that triumphs will.
    Grayson wrote: »
    yet a religion that locked up young women and protected paedophiles is grand.

Catholicism is on the decline, Islam is not. Catholicism isn't killing children and gearing itself up for religious war, Islam is.

You see how your whataboutery is essentially irrelevant?

• Advertisement

[quote=AnGaelach Orthodox Christians radicalising themselves in preparation for religious conflict.[/quote]

I suggest you research some of the Christian groups in the States. BTW Jim Jones was a Christian.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement