Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Business 2017

Options
  • 15-06-2017 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Never have to do an ABQ again hollaaa

Thought it was a nice exam, the long questions were soft and think I got full marks in the short questions. Got 5.5 pages done for the abq too, so I better do well in it 😂 Overall happy enough, 4 exams left to do though 😭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

Really disappointed with myself. Most of the questions weren't too bad (didn't like the short questions though) but I ran out of time and had to try and squeeze my last long question into 10 minutes and didn't get it done, which is disappointing considering in the pre I was done with 20 minutes to spare and was only 2% off a H1. And I found part B of the ABQ really weird... So yeah there's my hope of getting a H1 in my best subject gone.

Thank god we'll never have to do that again though. Best of luck with the rest of your exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

How the **** did you get time for 5 pages on the abq.

Seriously found that exam alright for the short q and the long ones.
    But the abq ruined me I think, I mean I understand business regulating was both the carbon tax and the minimum wage but it felt way too similar for me to comfortably describe them. Plus the third part of the Q seemed more like unit 3 than unit 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234

Yeah third part looked like it was straying into unit 3, think it was from the chapter on HRM though. For the carbon tax and minimum wage I just said new taxes as one heading and cost of labour as another, think the abq went well. It's always the stickiest bit in the business paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Just wondering what do you mean by cost of labour, the only quote I could see was the carbon tax and minimum wage.
    I did feebly add a third point involving tax credits but it was pretty poor.

But the second part about adapting consumer needs seemed a bit complicated, especially the 'place' part of the marketing mix.

thetalker wrote: »
    Just wondering what do you mean by cost of labour, the only quote I could see was the carbon tax and minimum wage.
    I did feebly add a third point involving tax credits but it was pretty poor.

But the second part about adapting consumer needs seemed a bit complicated, especially the 'place' part of the marketing mix.

Cost of labour, as in the introduction of minimum wage increases the cost of labour for the firm, which in turn led to redundancies as a cost-cutting measure.

Second part was abstract, just tried to find a good example each of product, price, place & promotion being used. For place they sell tickets on the night as well as on line, which provides convenience etc. Tough question the way they brought in the bit about 'the changing needs of its consumers' but hopefully I did it right

• Advertisement

For part A they regulate business using (i) minimum wage and (ii) carbon tax and then they encourage business using (i) LEOs and (ii) grants. That's the way I put the headings anyways, I split it into regulating/encouraging and put two points for each.

Part B was just weird, I know the marketing mix but questions like that about the impact of customers' needs always trip me up. Ended up writing like five really strange/weak points plus an evaluation.

Then I'm not sure how I feel about part C, I was going on about how she has a responsible and positive approach to managing because she consulted with staff, set up teams/delegated work, set a budget, and invested in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 arsene wenger

How many pages are in the booklet. I mustve waffled about 7 pages for the ABQ

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123

Was part c in the AbQ the chaning role of management if not i through away 30 marks??

I just said teamwork,employee empowerment,delegation/intrapreneurship and something else i thoough it was just C(i) that was changing role of managers

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123

Yea i referred to teamwork/empowerment and intrapreneurship aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Monaghan_98

Quick question, the abbreviations in the short questions were interest groups and the last one was CAI. I put Chartered Accountants Ireland, but a lot of people are saying its Consumer Association of Ireland. My business teacher reckons I could still get marks for my answer though, what do you guys reckon?

I said consumers association of ireland. For ways to minimise bad debts i said to check buyers credit rating and to offer discounts for early payment is that right?

That's more or less what I said as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Had to say I really liked that paper. The ABQ was okay compared to other years I thought but part C was a bit vague.

Loved the shorts. I thought they were very doable.

Liked the long questions too. Questions 2&3 were beauts! Took my so long to try and figure out what Capital Employed was made up off tho for Question 5. And my limitations of Ratios for that question was probably a bit dodgey. I wrote something like that it didn't take inflation into account and that it didn't acknowledge if the business expanded or not. They're probably completely wrong but i was trying to get it done in the last 15 mins so I was throwing anything down for it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Quick question, the abbreviations in the short questions were interest groups and the last one was CAI. I put Chartered Accountants Ireland, but a lot of people are saying its Consumer Association of Ireland. My business teacher reckons I could still get marks for my answer though, what do you guys reckon?

I think they will take either. Both business related and if you google CAI both come up.

I think they will take either. Both business related and if you google CAI both come up.

Hopefully so, thanks for your reply! Other than that brief scare, it was a decent paper! Although I felt the ABQ was particularly more challenging than previous year, particularly part B, which I completely waffled for 😂! Long questions were very nice though even though I didn't get them finished, but just thankful it's over now tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Sounds like you did well. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Olly1233

What long questions did everyone do?? I did question 2,3,5 and 6

Olly1233 wrote: »

I did 2, 3, 5, and 6. Had to rush 6 though because I only got to start it in the last 15 minutes or so, couldn't get anything down for the last part.

• Advertisement

Olly1233 wrote: »

1,3,5 and 6. Part B of Q3 was particularly difficult I felt when it asked you about the channels of distribution, but overall they were doable questions I felt.

For capital employed i wrote net profit divided by long term loan and shares. I left our retained earnings will i Still get marks

Advertisement