Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** French 2017 - Discussion

Options
  • 13-06-2017 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

So what do people expect to come up for french, any last minute topics that should be covered in case?

What about for the reading comprehensions, when they ask for 'a verb in the past participle etc' any idea how many kinds of those there are or where to have an easy clue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

For anyone interested, I had a look through the years and here's a few they've asked

adverb- used between a noun and pronoun e.g assez, deja, enfin, partout (according to internet)

preposition- used between nouns like apres avant, dans, sur etc

conditional- ends in ais,ait, ions, aient (not exact order) e.g {j'aimerais} aller au parc

Imperatif- used in giving orders e.g Ecoutez! Arretez!

Subjunctive- after que, e.g Il faut que je (fasse) la vaiselle

Present Participle - ends in ant, a doing word like e.g parlant, mangant, sortant

Well thats all I can think of, good luck everyone!

So uh am I the only one who does french here.

Found the paper alright, don't think I could figure out what the adverb was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Couldn't get the adverb either. But nice comprehensions, nice written pieces and a decent tape

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

Love how tourism was the ONE opinion piece I didn't read over last night or this morning... Did it anyways and still think it went okay, as well as the other written pieces. Comprehensions were lovely, most of the listening was alright

Ended up doing the tourism, the journal intime (said I met Hugh Laurie) and the advantages and disadvantages of online shopping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

Ended up doing the tourism, the journal intime (said I met Hugh Laurie) and the advantages and disadvantages of online shopping

I did the exact same :P

Ponguin wrote: »
    I did the exact same :P

Hugh Laurie and everything? :pac:

I had never done anything on online shopping before, I just said you can buy a lot of things without leaving the house, can look at recommendations before buying stuff but that it can be tricky to return stuff.

A lot of my year went for the Brexit, which I'm sure was a great choice if you actually learnt something for it, which I didn't. I just learned a few one size fits all sentences last night.

Is it ok to take some inspiration from the comprehensions? For the tourism question I rehashed the stuff about using information signs effectively from the first comprehension to fill out a paragraph, but everything else was original.

Now I want to buy a goat :pac: I hear they're similar enough to sheep

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Now I want to buy a goat :pac: I hear they're similar enough to sheep
    0_o

o_0

I'm afraid to ask .... :pac:

It's definitely okay to take inspiration from the comprehensions, in fact I was told that they enjoy that (just like they would in the other languages) since it shows you really understood - and engaged with - the comprehensions.

Hahaha I had a good laugh at that section of the listening, Ysabel and her goats

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Melydi

I'm a native speaker but I told my friends before it started that an adverb usually ends in -ment, hopefully they remembered as it was in the last section of the text.

• Advertisement

Hugh Laurie and everything? :pac:

Afraid not as I don't actually know who that is :P went a bit more mainstream with the ed sheeran route

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ponguin wrote: »
    Afraid not as I don't actually know who that is :P went a bit more mainstream with the ed sheeran route
    Hugh-Laurie-bio-450x600.jpg?itok=I1xLpSEl

House, Blackadder, etc. etc. ;)

Ah yeah I know that face thanks 😂 Never in a million years would I have thought to write about him hahah

What did y'all write down for the Q in reading comp 2 about the girl losing her appetite, did it have something to do with burning hair?

Yeah the reason was she couldn't eat with the thought of a guy who's hair was on fire running around.

By the way, for the very last part of the tape, what did everyone say caught fire? I said a canopy even though I don't see how there could be a canopy in an apartment. More have said a mat, a lampshade, the curtains...

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

By the way, for the very last part of the tape, what did everyone say caught fire? I said a canopy even though I don't see how there could be a canopy in an apartment. More have said a mat, a lampshade, the curtains...

It was in the paper today as some sort of sofa/couch. They will probably only award 1 mark for it because nobody knew what it was!. How did everyone find the aural?

Yeah, the word everyone mistakes for 'canopy' is a sofa. Me learning words for various different kinds of furniture in first year had its perks I guess. lol

I thought it was okay. Doubt I did as well as I usually do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nulty18

Was it notament for adverb in comprehension

• Registered Users Posts: 23 blueee

Do you have to quote the text for the last questions of the comprehensions? When you answer In English? I'm worried because someone said afterwards that you don't get marks if you don't quote, and I didn't- if that was true that would be 5% gone!

• Advertisement

It always just says refer to the text, so I'm not sure if that means you absolutely HAVE to quote or if it means you can just say what the gist of a section was in English, but I always quote as well just in case even just to fill up the lines.

Advertisement