Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has SecureText stopped working for everyone except Eir customers?

Options
  • 09-06-2017 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently noticed SecureText not working. Vodafone landline - opted out of VOIP switchover. Latest phone bill shows the alarm dialer dialing out to HKC over and over again when the alarm goes off, but no texts being received. Is this a problem across the board?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

More than likely. There's certainly an issue with PSTN diallers not being able to dial out to monitoring stations with Vodafone digital system.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Thanks fred. Very strange, as nothing seems to have changed on the landline end, and when Vodafone were talking about changing to VOIP, they sent a letter specifically saying if you opted out that monitored alarms would continue to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sorry, I misread your post, thought you had opted in. I presume you're still paying HKC for the service as the text is sent from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hi all,

Recently noticed SecureText not working. Vodafone landline - opted out of VOIP switchover. Latest phone bill shows the alarm dialer dialing out to HKC over and over again when the alarm goes off, but no texts being received. Is this a problem across the board?

Thanks

Both myself and another poster on here are having the same issue. I'm with Vodafone for the fixed line service and he is with Sky.

HKC are saying their Securetext service will now only work if your fixed line service is with Eir.

They have told me that the service hasn't worked for people who are with other operators since the May Bank Holiday weekend.

They have told me nothing has changed on their end and Vodafone have said nothing has changed in their end.

Openeir who manage the fixed line service for all operators must have made some change to their service and have not told anyone.

I was pissed off that HKC were aware of the issue since the May Bank Holiday weekend but have not informed their customers of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

It's hardly HKCs issue it's the landline providers who have moved the goalposts they are converting all lines in Ireland to digital by 2020 so in the alarm industry the landline is dead as a dodo and it's gsm text gsm app or IP from here on in . Eir has told people it's not supplying pstn lines anymore so we call need to move on like we did when they switched off the old aerial and we all went Saorview.

Both myself and another poster on here are having the same issue. I'm with Vodafone for the fixed line service and he is with Sky.

HKC are saying their Securetext service will now only work if your fixed line service is with Eir.

They have told me that the service hasn't worked for people who are with other operators since the May Bank Holiday weekend.

They have told me nothing has changed on their end and Vodafone have said nothing has changed in their end.

Openeir who manage the fixed line service for all operators must have made some change to their service and have not told anyone.

I was pissed off that HKC were aware of the issue since the May Bank Holiday weekend but have not informed their customers of the issue.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I misread your post, thought you had opted in. I presume you're still paying HKC for the service as the text is sent from them?

Yes, they've been paid a year in advance. Phone line definitely hasn't changed to VOIP as the phones are still plugged in to the old extensions around the house. Must be something else that's been changed.

At least I know I'm not the only one with an issue. I would've thought that if not upgrading to VOIP, the lines would essentially be the exact same as being an Eir customer.

I'd also be a bit annoyed that HKC couldn't at least have sent an email to all customers of SecureText letting them know there are some issues.
    stuartkee wrote: »
    It's hardly HKCs issue it's the landline providers who have moved the goalposts they are converting all lines in Ireland to digital by 2020 so in the alarm industry the landline is dead as a dodo and it's gsm text gsm app or IP from here on in . Eir has told people it's not supplying pstn lines anymore so we call need to move on like we did when they switched off the old aerial and we all went Saorview.

No, it's not HKC's fault but they do have customers contact details for sending invoices, so wouldn't have been a big job to send an email to all customers informing them there are now issues if you are not an Eir customer.

stuartkee wrote: »

HKC could have at least sent a mailshot out advising people - poor form letting customers find out for themselves. It was working fine up until the May Bank Holiday weekend so I just wonder what changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭altor

HKC could have at least sent a mailshot out advising people - poor form letting customers find out for themselves. It was working fine up until the May Bank Holiday weekend so I just wonder what changed?

Id agree, they should have if they are aware of the problem.
    For the record, its not their end causing the issue.

altor wrote: »
    Id agree, they should have if they are aware of the problem.
    For the record, its not their end causing the issue.

I believe it isn't too. I think it's Openeir who manage the fixed line for all providers made a change. But it's very strange that the change does not affect Eir customers. It only affects other providers i.e. Vodafone, Sky etc. and if customers opted out of moving to VOIP and wished to maintain their PSTN line it should make no difference.

I believe it isn't too. I think it's Openeir who manage the fixed line for all providers made a change. But it's very strange that the change does not affect Eir customers. It only affects other providers i.e. Vodafone, Sky etc. and if customers opted out of moving to VOIP and wished to maintain their PSTN line it should make no difference.

The moving to VOIP is cheaper for the likes of Vodafone, Sky etc, thats why they are moving. It can take a few weeks to have the service reversed if the process has been started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Going forward all PSTN lines are going to become digital lines, this will have huge effects for Intruder Alarm systems.

Anyone here who has a HKC text dialler is advised to contact Security & Risk and to cancel your subscription

Hi all,

Anyone who was having problems it may be worth checking to see if it's working now. My system worked this morning - texts sent to all mobiles as normal.

Hi all,

Anyone who was having problems it may be worth checking to see if it's working now. My system worked this morning - texts sent to all mobiles as normal.

Interesting. What provider are you with for your landline?

EDIT: Just see you are with Vodafone. I went into the engineer menu and sent a test text but it didn't work.

Unless they are testing it themselves. Can you test it again please as I am with Vodafone also.

Out of engineer mode if you press the * and # together this will send a panic to your phone.
    If you try this does it work?

Attention all, due to the upgrading of phone lines in this country the days of text dialled functioning is numbered.

If I was anyone here with one I would be testing it every second day. They are no longer reliable and this is not any manufacturers fault but as I mentioned the upgrading of landlines from analogue to digital.

Alarm is at my parents house, but I'll be there tomorrow and will do a test to see was it just a once-off, and report back. Just to clarify, they are still on old style phone line and not upgraded to VOIP.

Alarm is at my parents house, but I'll be there tomorrow and will do a test to see was it just a once-off, and report back. Just to clarify, they are still on old style phone line and not upgraded to VOIP.

They may not be upgraded yet, but the line leaving your parents house could be converted to VOIP along its way to the server.
    Keep testing it regularly, just for peace of mind.

kub wrote: »
    They may not be upgraded yet, but the line leaving your parents house could be converted to VOIP along its way to the server.
    Keep testing it regularly, just for peace of mind.

Ah, I see what you mean. Vodafone stated at the time that it would keep working with monitored alarms if we opted out, which we did, but I guess that doesn't stop them making changes on their end like you suggest. Will keep an eye on it anyway, thanks, and will report back here once I get a chance to check it again too.

Out of engineer mode if you press the * and # together this will send a panic to your phone.

Will try tomorrow and report back.

Just checked this morning - no not working. Tries to send message but phone rings later and when I answer it's like a data/fax/modem noise.

• Advertisement

Just checked this morning - no not working. Tries to send message but phone rings later and when I answer it's like a data/fax/modem noise.

I would suggest that you look at alternatives here, also cancel your contract with Security & Risk.

kub wrote: »
    I would suggest that you look at alternatives here, also cancel your contract with Security & Risk.

The other poster above said his system or hos parents system worked over the weekend.

The other poster above said his system or hos parents system worked over the weekend.

He did indeed, but we have to consider that both of you might be in different parts of the country and the lines might have been modified where you are.

For example, the line in your house might be analogue, your alarm transmits a signal, it goes through your exchange and onto another and another etc, so anywhere between other exchanges the lines might have become digital.

Possibly. Vodafone are looking into it for me.

Just to report back as I said I would, I tried this twice a short while ago and texts came through as they usually would have beforehand.

To clarify: Vodafone managed line (opted out of VOIP changeover last year) using HKC SecureText (the paid for service).

Probably not particularly helpful if lines are being changed in different places, but maybe it's a sign that the changes can be worked with. Was down for approximately a month before coming back, so maybe either HKC or Vodafone have now made a change on their ends to allow the service to keep working?

Just to report back as I said I would, I tried this twice a short while ago and texts came through as they usually would have beforehand.

To clarify: Vodafone managed line (opted out of VOIP changeover last year) using HKC SecureText (the paid for service).

Probably not particularly helpful if lines are being changed in different places, but maybe it's a sign that the changes can be worked with. Was down for approximately a month before coming back, so maybe either HKC or Vodafone have now made a change on their ends to allow the service to keep working?

Thanks for checking. Very strange that it came back and no changes on your end. You are definitely with Vodafone and were not changed to Eir? Mine is still gone :(

Thanks for checking. Very strange that it came back and no changes on your end. You are definitely with Vodafone and were not changed to Eir? Mine is still gone :(

100% definitely Vodafone.

If I were you I'd probably take the advice above and look at switching to the app from HKC. I use it myself on my own system, and it's much more advanced then the texts. Apart from the initial investment of buying the GSM module, I think it's only a euro more per month then Secure Text.

AFAIK Ericsson now own and operate all the old Eircom exchanges, Vodafone, Eir and whoever else out there just lease lines and flog them to us Joe soaps.

I think it is time to take this to both Eir and Vodafone both are in the 'Talk to' forum on boards.ie.

Tell them ye have checked in here with us on Home Security and we are referring ye to them, after all it is their issue.

For Eir http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

For Vodafone http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

Thanks for the update, I can assure you its not at HKCs end as they would have no control over it.
    Id say Vodafone switched the line and then switched it back when you complained.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update, I can assure you its not at HKCs end as they would have no control over it.
    Id say Vodafone switched the line and then switched it back when you complained.

I didn't complain :D

Advertisement