Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky RF Output and New Sky Q``

Options
  • 12-05-2017 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

So when we built our house back in 2005, all the TV cables were brought back to a central "hub" in the attic. Thats where our aerial and splitter and also our Sky+ box. The Sky box is connected to the splitter via the RF output and its then brought around the house where we work the box via Magic Eye.

We've been happy with the set up but realise now that the new Sky boxes/Sky Q boxes dont have RF output? What the hell do we do if we want to upgrade or the box breaks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

culsoh wrote: »
    So when we built our house back in 2005, all the TV cables were brought back to a central "hub" in the attic. Thats where our aerial and splitter and also our Sky+ box. The Sky box is connected to the splitter via the RF output and its then brought around the house where we work the box via Magic Eye.

We've been happy with the set up but realise now that the new Sky boxes/Sky Q boxes dont have RF output? What the hell do we do if we want to upgrade or the box breaks?

An upgrade means SkyQ and its client boxes.

To prepare for a Sky+HD box failure - buy a used one now so you have a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

An upgrade means SkyQ and its client boxes.

To prepare for a Sky+HD box failure - buy a used one now so you have a replacement.

There is not much point upgrading to a HD or 4K service if you are distributing the output over coaxial cable. You would not be getting the benefit of the improved picture quality.

There is not much point upgrading to a HD or 4K service if you are distributing the output over coaxial cable. You would not be getting the benefit of the improved picture quality.

SkyQ is the only upgrade path Sky offer.
    SkyQ does not use RF output ...... its client devices connect via LAN.
    The coax distribution would not be used.

SkyQ is the only upgrade path Sky offer.
    SkyQ does not use RF output ...... its client devices connect via LAN.
    The coax distribution would not be used.

That upgrade path gets expensive very quickly if you are putting a Sky Q mini in every room. I believe you can only have a maximum of four mini boxes as well.

OP if you do get a (used) HD box you can use a Triax IO Link or similar to distribute the output.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triax-Link-Output-Sky-Box/dp/B00HY9E5LA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

That upgrade path gets expensive very quickly if you are putting a Sky Q mini in every room. I believe you can only have a maximum of four mini boxes as well.

Max of 4 but you can only use 2 at any one time.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Max of 4 but you can only use 2 at any one time.

Yeah I just read that there. It makes it even less attractive.

Thankfully those of use who receive FTA using non-Sky hardware have no such difficulties or limitations.
    We regularly have 5 clients devices watching different channels/media at the same time.

I guess it all depends on how important those specific 'Sky' channels are to the end user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

There is another option, run a HDMI splitter from Sky Q then run HDMI long cables around the house to the various rooms (this is what I did) you can watch your sky in HD or ultra HD in all rooms and change channels via the sky+ app on any smartphone or tablet. This way you don't have to pay more money to Sky.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    There is another option, run a HDMI splitter from Sky Q then run HDMI long cables around the house to the various rooms (this is what I did) you can watch your sky in HD or ultra HD in all rooms and change channels via the sky+ app on any smartphone or tablet. This way you don't have to pay more money to Sky.

If you use a HDMI to IP converter you can put a receiver at each TV point if you wish, with the signal going over the LAN.
    No need to run bulky HDMI cable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

If you use a HDMI to IP converter you can put a receiver at each TV point if you wish, with the signal going over the LAN. No need to run bulky HDMI cable at all.

Can that work on a sky+ HD box or is it solely for IPTV?

• Advertisement

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Can that work on a sky+ HD box or is it solely for IPTV?

Its input is from a HDMI out of any device. It converts the input to IP and sends it across the LAN.
    At each TV point you can put a complimentary receiver which has a HDMI out to connect to the TV.

Example device

http://www.lenkeng.net/Index/detail/id/149

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

Something similar to this HDMI modulator might be another option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technomate-TM-RF-HD-HDMI-Modulator/dp/B01HOZKVFW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494804197&sr=8-2&keywords=HDMI+modulator

I've got one of these, and it works pretty well. It effectively means that you can use your existing coax cables to distribute a HD picture.

There is a 1 sec delay however, when using your remote control with it via the 'magic eyes'. It won't work with older TVs unless you have a Saorview box or similar, because you have to tune in the picture like you would with a Saorview station.

This is a similar device

http://www.freetv.ie/hdmi-modulator/

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Its input is from a HDMI out of any device. It converts the input to IP and sends it across the LAN.
    At each TV point you can put a complimentary receiver which has a HDMI out to connect to the TV.

Example device

any idea if you can use a powerline adapter to transmit the signal over a lan cable ? it's not feasible for me to run lan cables over the house so a powerline adapter may be a good solution if it works - thanks in advance

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    any idea if you can use a powerline adapter to transmit the signal over a lan cable ? it's not feasible for me to run lan cables over the house so a powerline adapter may be a good solution if it works - thanks in advance

I could not say for definite.

those adapters do not work well (or at all) in some premises.

The powerline adapters work well here ..... even for HD video ..... so I would expect it all to work here.

I would be very surprised if a powerline network would have sufficient bandwidth for what you are looking to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

I could not say for definite.

those adapters do not work well (or at all) in some premises.

The powerline adapters work well here ..... even for HD video ..... so I would expect it all to work here.

Thanks for the reply - my gut is that they won't work. I read somewhere that you can use your router & a network switch to transmit the signal , not quite sure how to do this but hopefully this could be an option

Would anyone happen to know what the difference is between the two devices below ? Presumably they both do HDMi over IP?

GHB 60m HDMI Extender Repeater 1080P with IR Signal Transmission Up to 197 Feet Supports Sky HD Box Laptop PC DVD PS4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072FLFRHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vzKpzb7TGEN4S

Mirabox HDMI Extender Over TCP/IP Rj45 Cat5/5e/6/6e UTP/STP Ethernet Lan Switch Network Support 400ft 1080P Full HD Extension, Black (HSV373 A Pair) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FYPQ612/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2AKpzb57ZP34T

From what I have experienced here, where power line adapters work on the wiring, they would have little difficulty handling a HDMI Extender properly.

Where bandwidth concerns might come into play would be a situation where there is one transmitter and multiple receivers .... but I have not tried that.

The '373A' seems to be the preferred model for one-to-many capabilities. The older models did not have this functionality, I believe.

The 'GBH' is a 372 while the Mirabox is a 373 as is the earlier linked device

Search for 'HDMI Extender' on Ebay for instance to get lots of options.
    I would suggest a 373A 120 Metre with 'one to many' capabilities.

You get what you pay for I guess.

Thanks for the reply - my gut is that they won't work. I read somewhere that you can use your router & a network switch to transmit the signal , not quite sure how to do this but hopefully this could be an option

I see no real problems with it working, provided the home plugs function well in your environment.

You can connect the Tx & Rx directly to each other with an ethernet cable.
    You can connect them indirectly through a router or switch.
    You can connect them indirectly through home plugs.

In all cases they connect to each other.
    Would anyone happen to know what the difference is between the two devices below ? Presumably they both do HDMi over IP?

GHB 60m HDMI Extender Repeater 1080P with IR Signal Transmission Up to 197 Feet Supports Sky HD Box Laptop PC DVD PS4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072FLFRHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vzKpzb7TGEN4S

Mirabox HDMI Extender Over TCP/IP Rj45 Cat5/5e/6/6e UTP/STP Ethernet Lan Switch Network Support 400ft 1080P Full HD Extension, Black (HSV373 A Pair) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FYPQ612/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2AKpzb57ZP34T

Check out the differences between the 372 & 373
    373 would be much preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

No I'm pretty sure the first link the device works over cat6 cable but it is not IP capable so won't work through a network or home plugs

The second one will work through a normal network and I can confirm that it works through home plugs also. Be aware of sending through a normal network switch the switch should be capable of handling multicast traffic or this device may cripple your network. (Unless you are willing to mess with firmware and a few settings)

But a point to point link with home plugs should work fine but depends on the internal wiring in your house.

373A is IP capable and will work with home plugs.
    372 is not IP capable so won't work with home plugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

TIP: Mains extension leads with built in surge protection can seriously restrict home network plugs performance.

@emaherx

Have you any up to date information about the "LKV373A HDMI Extender"'s output?

It would be good to find that Unicast URI.

Whatever it is doing presently it just breezes through both my IGMP capable switches, so I guess the output is not properly multicast compliant, else something is the matter with my switches.

@emaherx

Have you any up to date information about the "LKV373A HDMI Extender"'s output?

It would be good to find that Unicast URI.

Whatever it is doing presently it just breezes through both my IGMP capable switches, so I guess the output is not properly multicast compliant, else something is the matter with my switches.

No. And I spoke with Danman in the comments section of his blog, it would seem there is no unicast option in any of the known firmwares for the receiver device. So no way to get the URL without capturing packets between communicating unicast devices.

The chipset is used in a number of devices by different AV manufacturers and they just implement the functions they want / need. You would need to find a device using that chipset in Unicast to get a working firmware and then capture the packets sent between them, so for that reason I wouldn't be too hopeful.

I'm still using a UDP proxy on a Raspberry Pi with an extra USB Ethernet adapter so no multicast issues on my Network.

What switches are you using?

emaherx wrote: »
    No. And I spoke with Danman in the comments section of his blog, it would seem there is no unicast option in any of the known firmwares for the receiver device. So no way to get the URL without capturing packets between communicating unicast devices.

The chipset is used in a number of devices by different AV manufacturers and they just implement the functions they want / need. You would need to find a device using that chipset in Unicast to get a working firmware and then capture the packets sent between them, so for that reason I wouldn't be too hopeful.

I'm still using a UDP proxy on a Raspberry Pi with an extra USB Ethernet adapter so no multicast issues on my Network.

What switches are you using?

TP-Link SG-108 and an SG 24 port easy manage

Thanks for the update.
    It seems the best option at present is a dedicate NIC for it so.

Thanks.

TP-Link SG-108 and an SG 24 port easy manage

Thanks for the update.
    It seems the best option at present is a dedicate NIC for it so.

Thanks.

I have some Cisco switches here. I must try one of them also.

emaherx wrote: »
    I have some Cisco switches here. I must try one of them also.

Please let me know of your results, thanks.

Advertisement