Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardaí launch blasphemy probe into Stephen Fry

• 06-05-2017 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

.......on 'The Meaning of Life'

No, this isn't a new episode of FATHER TED. This is real!

The article is here
    Independent.ie can reveal that a member of the public reported the allegation to Ennis garda Station following a broadcast of ‘The Meaning of Life’, hosted by Gay Byrne, in February 2015.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Right well the guards should have told that member of the public to do a bit of homework and find that they would actually have to report it to RTE and then to the BAI if RTE didn't follow their complaints process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Hopefully this will result in a conviction against Stephen Fry and RTE.

I think everyone concerned would be happy with that outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

One person made a complaint. He must have serious f*ck all to be doing with his or her life.

Why was the complaint now and not back when it aired? Something smells fishy about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Blasphemy. The only truly victimless crime.

• Advertisement

And yet not one member of the Irish public have gone to the guards about fair city?

Baffling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Right well the guards should have told that member of the public to do a bit of homework and find that they would actually have to report it to RTE and then to the BAI if RTE didn't follow their complaints process.

It's a possible criminal offence and the allegation is partially against RTÉ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The trouble with public complaints to the police is that they are obliged to look into the matter under the laws of the land. Obviously the laws regarding blastfemy are ludicrous.

If it wasn't for the fact the complainant is from the Wesht I'd have believed this was a troll test of the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

They better not watch Life Of Brian :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Is there any possibility that insufferable ballbag, Stephen Fry, could go to prison for this? I'd be in favour of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Blasphemy is one of life's great pleasures. The fact that they've made it illegal here to pacify the zealots just adds extra relish. I recommend starting the day with a cup of coffee and a series of colourful blasphemous outbursts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I wonder was it reported in an attempt to create outrage and get it removed. A lot of TDs hate the law, most people hate the law and think it is right for removal.

If you look at if from a legal point of view. Who is God? The Christian belief of one God? The ancient Greek Gods? The 33, 33m or 330m Gods that Hindus believe in (there is confusion on the exact number)? Why don't we throw in a few thousand Gods that cluts and other dodgy religions have created

How can you prosecute someone for something we can't easily define and interpret with it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭Patser

Brilliant! I actually hope it's a genuine complaint by a zealot, but suspect it's engineered as a protest by an Atheist group.

Either way it'll highlight that that stupid law hasn't gone away. A law that more fundamental places have pointed at and said, Hey Europe, don't hassle us, sure your own membership has similar laws. There was a referendum to get rid of it promised in 2014, and nowt done yet.

So hopefully this case will be followed to the letter of the law, with Stephen Fry brought to court, if only to make the law makers squirm in the International spotlight that follows about their own inactions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Piss-take.

If it wasn't for the fact the complainant is from the Wesht I'd have believed this was a troll test of the law.
    I presumed it is a test case made to highlight the blasphemy laws.

It being Stephen Fry will bring lots of national and international attention.

The trouble with public complaints to the police is that they are obliged to look into the matter under the laws of the land. Obviously the laws regarding blastfemy are ludicrous.

Ya being from the west could only means it's true

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

This is good. The more coverage this gets, the sooner this nonsense law can be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'd like to report the person who complained under the Gobsh?tes in Public Act 1995!

Complete and utter f?cking moron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

where does it say that in the blasphemy law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

If this goes to court will Jesus be representing himself?

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    I'd like to report the person who complained under the Gobsh?tes in Public Act 1995!

Complete and utter f?cking moron!
    its clearly someone trying to test if the law is going to ever implemented.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I like soup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

From the article in the OP:
    The viewer insisted that he wasn’t offended by the remarks but stressed that he believed Mr Fry’s comments qualified as blasphemy under the law.

Yup, definitely sounds like a test case, in which case fair play. AFAIR the government promised to look at having a referendum on abolishing this from the constitution, so this might get the ball rolling on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I truly despair for this world as it is and the utter stupid ***** who populate it.

You can't breathe and someones down yer neck.

If you're born with a dick and balls you're male. If you're born with a vagina you're female. Thats it. Gender this gender that. Fluidity bull****.

I don't care if you "identify as an Insert Male/Female/ Baboon". Get over it.

****ing assholes.

Mod: banned

nobody has ever been convicted of this offence, and the criminal standard of proof applies. If you look at the wording of the actual blasphemy law section 36 of the defamation act 2009:

25k max fine, no jail time.

would need to proved without reasonable doubt that what was said was grossly abusive & caused outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion (one complaint to the gardai won't cut it)

they intended to cause such outrage

The only reason we have a blasphemy law is because it is in our constitution, and so the lacuna in the law was covered by the inclusion of the above.

We would need to have a referendum to remove that from the constitution.

There is zero room for the gardai to actually do anything about this. If they actually wanted something done they could have complained through RTE & the BAI as I said before because it could be approached from several angles which are much more open to something being done i.e. a fine or having to broadcast a correction.

high chance it's some athiest plus individual wanting to draw attention to the fact we have a blasphemy law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

50 lashes for the non-believer!

Why would we do away with it, it's only been introduced recently. Something to be proud of I'd say. /s
    Ireland is the only country in the developed world to have introduced a blasphemy law this century.

where does it say that in the blasphemy law?

If you wanted anything to actually be done the only way to approach it would be to complain through the proper channels to the broadcaster.

The blasphemy law can't do anything itself but it can when broadcasters are required to follow it because it exists...

You wanna tuck yer dick up like Buffalo Bill and put on a dress ? Knock yerself out.

Just don't call me intolerent for not finding you attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Ya being from the west could only means it's true
    Ennis ffs
    Full of wierdos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'd wager that the complaint was made with the intention to highlight how ludicrous the law is.

anna080 wrote: »
    I'd wager that the complaint was made with the intention to highlight how ludicrous the law is.

I hope so.

If you wanted anything to actually be done the only way to approach it would be to complain through the proper channels to the broadcaster.

The blasphemy law can't do anything itself but it can when broadcasters are required to follow it because it exists...
    Blasphemy is a criminal matter in this country thanks to the 2009 act. The Guards are the proper people to report it to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Looks like classic trolling.
    I hadn't forgotten about the promise to remove blasphemy from the constitution, am annoyed it's been forgotten by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Why was the complaint now and not back when it aired? Something smells fishy about this.

The complaint was made in 2015 when the programme aired. The complainant wrote to Garda commissioner in 2016 to see what was happening and received a call in 2017 from a detective in Donnybrook.
    maudgonner wrote:
    Yup, definitely sounds like a test case, in which case fair play. AFAIR the government promised to look at having a referendum on abolishing this from the constitution, so this might get the ball rolling on that.

The trouble is that the law states that the comments must have been made with the intent of causing offence or outrage. One may think Fry's a pompous ass but what he said was clearly his sincere opinion. Add to that that the complainant wasn't even offended, I can't see this going to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

“publishing or uttering [of] matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion”

One complaint and the complainant themselves admits to not being offended just reporting a crime.

"The viewer insisted that he wasn’t offended by the remarks but stressed that he believed Mr Fry’s
    comments qualified as blasphemy under the law"

So it would appear that no law has been broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

py2006 wrote: »
    .......on 'The Meaning of Life'

No, this isn't a new episode of FATHER TED. This is real!

The article is here

Gaybo's face in that video is priceless!

where does it say in the blasphmey law that they have to complain to RTE first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Heckler wrote: »
    I truly despair for this world as it is and the utter stupid ***** who populate it.

If you're born with a dick and balls you're male. If you're born with a vagina you're female. Thats it. Gender this gender that. Fluidity bull****.

****ing assholes.
    Just a hunch, but maybe, just maybe, I think you might have some issues there fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Ok we get that you don't have time for people different from yourself but why finish your rant by including your favourite hobby??

I just hope you go gentle on those àssholes...lube up at least!
    Heckler wrote: »

****ing assholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

"Lads lads, I got locked the other night and reported Stephen fry for that oul Blasphemy law, some craic hai"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Blasphemy is one of life's great pleasures. The fact that they've made it illegal here to pacify the zealots just adds extra relish. I recommend starting the day with a cup of coffee and a series of colourful blasphemous outbursts.

Whilst fornicating.

Fornicating while blaspheming and blaspheming while fornicating. Coffee afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hopefully this knocks Fry's ego down a peg or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

ricero wrote:

Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Christy42

ricero wrote: »

I think it just makes Ireland a joke. I doubt Fry cares much either way. Nor should he really. Some backwards bumpkin law might have been broke by him over the possibility of some fine just in case some snowflake got offended? Or an atheist using it to remove said silly law in which case he probably supports the effort.

Stephen Fry was right in what he said btw. Plenty do seem to love their catholic laws

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Is this an ecumenical matter....Anyway Holy fooking jaysus.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Why do people believe everything published in the media.

Independent is known for having several BS stories in storage for slow news days - especially weekends.

Its hardly "breaking" news - the complaint was made 2 years ago.

Its not an exclusive - its such a non story no other media would take it up.

A crank has made a complaint, unfortunately gardai have to follow up. It will go no further. Non story.

Sensationalist sh1te from indo as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Why do people believe everything published in the media.

Independent is known for having several BS stories in storage for slow news days - especially weekends.

Its hardly "breaking" news - the complaint was made 2 years ago.

Its not an exclusive - its such a non story no other media would take it up.

A crank has made a complaint, unfortunately gardai have to follow up. It will go no further. Non story.

Sensationalist sh1te from indo as usual.

Absolutely.
    BTW, why do Gardai have to follow up? I know there is politics at play here, but have they no discretion? Do they not prioritise? Could they not say 'we'll look into it when we solve all the burglary cases etc.' Are there not laws that are just not enforced, you know like banking regulations, fraud etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

"I'm issuing a restraining order; religion must stay 500 feet away from science at all all times"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

It’s deeply embarrassing that a western democracy has such a Taliban-esque law at all. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement