Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured while jogging n halting site? - that'll be €60k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

frash wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/jogger-awarded-60000-after-tripping-and-injuring-knuckle-35605629.html

you couldn't make this stuff up
    "A man who injured his hand when he tripped over a hole on a footpath while jogging at a Dublin halting site has been awarded €60,000 by the High Court."

lucky for him he landed in another black hole containing all our premiums. Those piles of €500 notes saved him from certain death

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

My mother always said "if you can't say anything good then say nothing at all".

So in that case.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Fcuk me the trifector! Well done OP! Cue the outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

He was jogging back to his caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

"The defendant, South Dublin County Council, put forward the defence Mr Stokes had probably suffered his injuries while boxing, Mr Justice Anthony Barr said."

Justice Anthony Barr must be an AH regular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

PARlance wrote: »
    "The defendant, South Dublin County Council, put forward the defence Mr Stokes had probably suffered his injuries while boxing, Mr Justice Anthony Barr said."

Justice Anthony Barr must be an AH regular.

He's the first traveller I've heard of that goes jogging he looks fine and fit from it too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

of all the places to have properly tarmac'd paths

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Wait, hold on. There's pothole sort of yokey on the road I usually jog on. I stepped over it literally an hour ago.

If i'd just stepped into it, instead of around it, and gone on my arse and hurt my finger, i can go on several trips around the world? Is that the deal?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Wait, hold on. There's pothole sort of yokey on the road I usually jog on. I stepped over it literally an hour ago.

If i'd just stepped into it, instead of around it, and gone on my arse and hurt my finger, i can go on several trips around the world? Is that the deal?

Yes it's axactly that simple, absolutely nothing else too it. Jab a pencil in your eye and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yes it's axactly that simple, absolutely nothing else too it. Jab a pencil in your eye and see.

From that article, his injuries were caused when he tripped on the road.

What have I missed?

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    From that article, his injuries were caused when he tripped on the road.

What have I missed?

Nothing at all as I said. Literally nothing involved in the process beyond the trip, the money just rains down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

He was in car crash the day before too. Unlucky chap suffered soft tissue damage yet still went out jogging. A real super trooper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'd say he was chasing the chippie van.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

The court heard Mr Stokes was involved in a road traffic accident the day before the jogging accident.

Prob worth another 200k at minimum, poor fella must been doing doughnuts with some scrap with no insurance or tax and had to burn down the yoke, ptsd for life with right solicitor.

In this country being normal person is like having a sign f**k me in the a** , but if your right egg shell coconut with IQ of 50, system bends down to help such people in tragic events like this.

makes great chat when showing off, how tough you are look at me scars that's 60k right threre

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He was in car crash the day before too. Unlucky chap suffered soft tissue damage yet still went out jogging. A real super trooper

The car went out of control upon entering a pothole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The judge's hands were tied on this given what was presented to him. Maybe SDCC could have launched a counter claim of fraud against this guy rather than try and present something different in court when the claim was put to them?

He was involved in a crash the day before and probably whacked someone or something in anger and injured his hand. He got pissed at the damage he did to himself and went looking for a claim.

I hope he doesn't receive one cent of that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What I don't get about these claims is that prices that judges put on it, why 60k.

While I agree we can't have random holes in the road injuring people regardless of background.

Why can't the judge say 1k compo and order the council fix the pothole. Surely it would make more sense to me, leave the council with 59k and actually fix something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

"The judge said it was obvious from the content and tenor of the questions put to Mr Stokes that the court was being invited to draw the conclusion it was a fraudulent claim.

That allegation was not established on the evidence before the court, he said."

So... this sounds like the law takes that position that all claims are valid by default and ought to be paid.

WTF!!! Shouldn't the burden of proof be on the claimant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

He never "jogged" a minute in his life in fairness. Head of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd love to see the medical report for this one.

I'm trying to figure out how he fell and broke a knuckle in his hand.

If one falls over do you try and break your fall with a fist or with the palm of ones hand?

On the balance of likelihood most people would use an open hand.

Perhaps he face planted and landed on the front of his hand however then surely there would be additional cuts, bruising, facial injuries etc.

It's shocking that awards of this nature can be made with literally no evidence of how the incident occurred other than the claimants version of events. The fact it was a late notification also should trigger alarm bells.

That's how fcuked up this country is.

You can find a pothole, say you tripped and injured yourself, provide no actual proof of how the incident occurred and you are pretty much guaranteed to get paid off.

Of course though there is no compensation culture in this county.

Its insurance companies fault alone that premiums have risen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

TallGlass wrote: »
    What I don't get about these claims is that prices that judges put on it, why 60k.

While I agree we can't have random holes in the road injuring people regardless of background.

Why can't the judge say 1k compo and order the council fix the pothole. Surely it would make more sense to me, leave the council with 59k and actually fix something.

Don't be so ridiculous, you know as well as I do a council worker would injure is back and sue , then a passing hiker would fall over traffic cone , hurt her hoop and never play piano again.

"Rinse, repeat and do it again".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I'd love to see the medical report for this one.

I'm trying to figure out how he fell and broke a knuckle in his hand.

If one falls over do you try and break your fall with a fist or with the palm of ones hand?

On the balance of likelihood most people would use an open hand.

Maybe he covered his face before fall to prevent further injury,or tried to block concrete with his fist all is possible :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

what about injuring a finger while posting on boards ? whats the difference ? A jogger chooses his shoes and his route. A forum member chooses his keyboard etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There's a case before the courts where a child was offered 10k for a small cut on their eyebrow, but the judge thinks it's not a significant offer to cover the minor cut caused by a minor accident on a bus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

A man gets a bad injury that was caused by the roads not kept up to standard and gets compensated for it. Where's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

here`s another comp claim
    http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/04/28/4139204-boy-on-bike-gets-7500-for-collision-injury/

boy on bike hits side of car, brakes on bike not working, gets 7500?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Utterly ridiculous.

How long is this nonsense going to be tolerated? The honest working man and woman paying their insurance premiums are being ridden senseless by this absolute horsesh1t.

€60K for a broken knuckle, jesus h bleedin jaysis christ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

neverever1 wrote: »
    A man gets a bad injury that was caused by the roads not kept up to standard and gets compensated for it. Where's the problem?

If someone is being awarded €60k there should be more proof of how the accident occurred than simply the claimant having his version of events accepted as gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,417 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

He'll never work again I'd say.

Advertisement