Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corbally to UL Riverpath and Dogs

Options
  • 21-04-2017 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

The new route from Corbally to UL is one of the best pieces of infrastructure that we have installed in Limerick in recent years but i believe is being ruined by certain users.

My problem with this route is that some dog owners think it is perfectly ok to let their dogs off their leads.

How are pedestrians/joggers/cyclists supposed to contend with loose animals on a narrow shared track.
    It is only a matter of time before a loose dog causes a serious accident.

Recently the Smarter Travel group installed signs at the main entrances to the route (which are very small).

These signs specifically state that;

All users keep left and listen for bicycle bells
    Cyclists to use bells and travel at a safe speed
    Dog walkers to keep dogs on a short lead & cleanup after your dog

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Dogs should be allowed to be off their leads (as long as they are under control and not reckless top other path users) and its ridiculous that no place allows it. I have certainly seen many kids and teens who should be on leads more-so than dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I have no real objection to dogs being let off the leash in such circumstances. Problems arise, however, if the animal has been badly trained and is undisciplined as a result. A well trained dog should, when unleashed, remain close to it's masters side where it can be quickly restrained if necessary, rather than dashing about madly creating the kind of hazard you refer to.
    It has to be pointed out that many cyclists travelling along the route do so at excessive speed. It can be difficult for walkers to hear a bike approaching from behind and most cycles seem not to be equipped with a warning device such as a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

I would advise anyone to cycle the route to see how dangerous it is.
    I have been chased and barked at by dogs. I believe the owners are at fault rather than the animal itself.

In my experience of using this route Labradors and Retrievers seem to be the best behaved dogs while Spaniels and Terriers are by far the worst.

Could the council create a route around the Shannon Fields for dogs to run loose in? Many owners do so already.

I firmly believe dogs on leads are required for such a busy route and bells should be on all bicycles.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's a local facility for residents who have been walking their dogs there for a long, long, long time before that bike route existed. Some signs being stuck up a year ago aren't going to change that, especially when they almost certainly have no legal basis. You are cycling in their local facility not the other way around, and you need to be aware of that and cycle with care. If you are finding it dangerous you are cycling far too fast for what is a path shared with walkers, not an exclusive cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

iguana wrote:
    It's a local facility for residents who have been walking their dogs there for a long, long, long time before that bike route existed. Some signs being stuck up a year ago aren't going to change that, especially when they almost certainly have no legal basis. You are cycling in their local facility not the other way around, and you need to be aware of that and cycle with care. If you are finding it dangerous you are cycling far too fast for what is a path shared with walkers, not an exclusive cycle lane.

iguana wrote:

The local authority is responsible for enforcement of the law in this instance so any signage forbidding certain activities does indeed have a legal basis. If the original poster here were to fall from his bicycle and suffer serious injury as a result of colliding with an unleashed dog I presume he would be fully entitled to pursue an action for damages against its owner, through the courts.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    The local authority is responsible for enforcement of the law in this instance so any signage forbidding certain activities does indeed have a legal basis.

Nope. There has to be a specific bylaw stating that dogs must be kept on a lead there and there isn't. Any signs stating dogs must be on a lead there have no legal basis whatsoever. Dogs have to be under control, they don't have to be on leads on the riverbank.
    chicorytip wrote: »
    If the original poster here were to fall from his bicycle and suffer serious injury as a result of colliding with an unleashed dog I presume he would be fully entitled to pursue an action for damages against its owner, through the courts.

You presume wrongly. The OP could try but could equally be sued by the dog owner for injury to the dog and be found liable if it was deemed that he(?) was cycling too fast. It's a shared path not a cycling lane. That path is often chockablock with elderly/impaired walkers, toddlers trotting about, small children zooming about on scooters and balance bikes, people with buggies, joggers, optimistic rollerskaters/bladers (the path isn't really smooth enough for it but some try). I know at least one blind man who walks along there twice daily and regularly see wheelchair users. In places it's quite narrow and has various blindspots. Cyclists are welcome on and encouraged to share the path but it's not safe for any of the users if they don't match their speed to the conditions.

Anyone cycling at a speed where they feel endangered by dogs running about is cycling too fast because there is no 'danger' created by a dog running about that isn't also created by a 2 year old on a balance bike or a pair of four year olds having a race. And in fact the greater danger may well be to the more vulnerable path user, the child or the dog, rather than the cyclist. They are certainly a much greater danger to a blind walker. Just like a driver needs to ignore the 50kph speed limit that most roads in housing estates are set at and drive at a much lower speed on streets where there is a strong possibility of children running out from behind a parked car. A cyclist on a riverbank walkway in a busy city suburb, needs to adjust their speed accordingly.

I'm the first to advocate for cyclists. They are the most vulnerable of road users and should be able to cycle where they need to in the safest manner possible. Tbh, I think cyclists should be allowed to cycle on any footpath if no safe bikelane exists on their route. I'd rather share my footpath with a bike than force a cyclist to share a road with a lorry. But when cyclists are sharing a route way with pedestrians they have to remember that they are the ones who represent the bigger danger to more vulnerable users. And the Shannon riverpath is not a dedicated bikelane.

(There are also occasionally horses tied up along the path who may have crossed the path straining a rope that's a few inches off the ground. Super dangerous for anyone cycling too fast to observe and react in time.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

iguana wrote: »
    Nope. There has to be a specific bylaw stating that dogs must be kept on a lead there and there isn't. Any signs stating dogs must be on a lead there have no legal basis whatsoever. Dogs have to be under control, they don't have to be on leads on the riverbank.

Unfortunately in 2012 a by law was passed which states

"Under the Control of Dogs legislation and associated regulations an owner of a dog must ensure that their dog is:

Licensed
    Identifiable - wears a collar with name & address of owner attached
    Under control at all times
    Kept on a lead at all times when being walked in public parks in Limerick City"

The riverbank has been designated a public park.

It is a silly by law and I agree that cyclists travel way too quickly on the riverbank but unfortunately it is illegal for a dog to not be leashed in a public place. In fact a dog warden will issue an on the spot fine if you are caught (albeit they are far and few between)

A designated dog park (or a big field) is the best solution

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Scumbags with there pit bull dogs off the the lead on the Corbally to UL . beautiful walk and River path .

Mr.H wrote: »
    Unfortunately in 2012 a by law was passed which states

"Under the Control of Dogs legislation and associated regulations an owner of a dog must ensure that their dog is:

Licensed
    Identifiable - wears a collar with name & address of owner attached
    Under control at all times
    Kept on a lead at all times when being walked in public parks in Limerick City"

It is a silly by law and I agree that cyclists travel way too quickly on the riverbank but unfortunately it is illegal for a dog to not be leashed in a public place. In fact a dog warden will issue an on the spot fine if you are caught (albeit they are far and few between)

A designated dog park (or a big field) is the best solution

I'm aware of that bylaw, the riverbank isn't a public park. Dogs don't need to kept on leads there, just under control which is the law anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

happened me two weeks ago - i was cycling back from castletroy via the bank into the city. Man with three dogs loose coing towards me, the dogs were running all over the place. I had to stop my bike (i wasnt even going fast) so i wouldnt fall off or hit one of them. I said to him that his dogs should be on leads and he told me "cop on" and walked on.

Irish people have some chip inside them that makes them think they can ignore practical rules. I would hate to be out with kids/anyone who was afraid of dogs on those paths. There are some dogs who are really well trained and will stay with the owner but the majority just run around uncontrolled.

Its the same when people insist on walking o the designated cycle paths on the banks - those are there for everyones safety. I have been told to F Off when i said excuse me to someone who was walking in the cycle path.

This is why we dont get nice things in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

"I would hate to be out with kids/anyone who was afraid of dogs on those paths. There are some dogs who are really well trained and will stay with the owner but the majority just run around uncontrolled."

I had to stop walking down there with kids, because of dogs. A number of dogs would come charging up and jumping up on my young son, owners would come up with "he's fine, he's just been friendly". I don't know that, my son doesn't know that, and he's pertrified. Final straw came when we were down there one day, young son was throwing peebles in the lake - and a large dog came bounding up, excited nearly knocking him in the water. Owners had no control, and couldn't get the dog to come away. I just felt it wasn't worth walking down there anymore, as I was on constant look out, and it was no longer a relaxing walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Corbally to UL River path Walkway is a Fantastic Walk to do . It needs to be policed by the garda and the dog wardens to make sure dangerous breeds of dogs are Muzzled and on the leads like the Rottweiler, Pit bull Terrier etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Hooked

Corbally to UL River path Walkway is a Fantastic Walk to do . It needs to be policed by the garda and the dog wardens to make sure dangerous breeds of dogs are Muzzled and on the leads like the Rottweiler, Pit bull Terrier etc.

They are not 'dangerous' breeds - they are on a restricted breeds list. And as much as I hate that law. It is a law.

As for all dogs being under 'Effectual control' - most dog owners don't give a shïte!

I own 2 very friendly dogs. They also have piss-poor recall as they are huskies. Very well trained. Very intelligent. But also very independent.

And for these reasons - they are always on leads. I have to respect other dog owners, kids (or adults) who might have fears, etc. etc.

A lot of people in Ireland think that the law doesn't apply to them. Especially when it comes to dogs.

Limerick animal welfare are constantly trying to reunite lost dogs - with no chip and no collar / tag. The paths are full of dog shît. Despite their being laws in place for both.

Same with this UL walk. Until a warden starts issuing fines and courts start upholding them... Nothing will change. Why would you fear that which is never policed!

As for dog licensing, don't get me started.

There's a reason dogs in certain European counties are seen in shops, hotels, on public transport and enjoying most things with owners...

They know how to respect the law and each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I dont believe these are inherently dangerous breeds - any breed is dangerous in the wrong hands. The most dangerous on these paths are crazy little terriers running out in front of people and dogs that are not under control regardless of breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Cyclists get a bad rep in Ireland, often with good reason but dog owners are 100 times worse.

I use that pathway regularly. Cyclists going too fast with no bells is a problem.

Dog owners with no control over their dogs is a bigger one.

I had to report one incident to campus security where a guy was throwing his dogs, still on a lead, into the river from the jetty behind UL, then dragging the poor dogs out and practically strangling them in the process.

It was a lovely day, people were sunbathing and swimming there and along comes this tracksuit and hoodie wearing scumbag and ruins it for everyone. One by one everyone got up and left.

Last I saw campus security were down there but the moron was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 oh_look_sheep

Been using the path a lot but recently have noticed that some people believe they are above the law. There is actually signs indicating what side of the path to walk/cycle/run on etc, which is the left and pass on the right.

A number of dogs not on a leash is also troubling. I don't do well with animals and the owners don't seem to care that their dogs etc are not on a leash. Coupled with this, yesterday while out walking I noticed a bag (used for dog poop), full, and hanging from a tree. Next weekend the Great Limerick Run is using the path and seeing this is a disgrace and will probably put people off returning to Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Exeggcute wrote:
    I use that pathway regularly. Cyclists going too fast with no bells is a problem.

I cycled along the pathway way to and from the Joey Hannon in UL today with a bell. Not one person turned around or moved when they heared the bell. I wasn't cycling particularly at speed. There is no cycling awareness or culture in Ireland so why would they turn around for me? It would also be good if pedestrians could keep to the pathway instead of walking along the cycle path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Nobody follows rules in Ireland. Signs are ignored. Nobody enforces anything.

Its a free for all

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

The facility is for everyone. This route has always been used by walkers and cyclists for years. I have been using this route long before any tarmac was put down. The place was overgrown and covered in dog sh*t and lager cans.

We have come along way since those days but I think there is a lack of understanding or an unwillingness to respect that everyone has a right to use this excellent path.

Unfortunately we need ground rules to set out what is and is not allowed.

I think the signs (that were erected by Smarter Travel) inform all users of their responsibility. They are a great idea but they will only be successful if people get the message and appreciate other peoples rights.

Maybe in a years time, things will change when we all have time to get used to this new resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I think it's a good sign that we're even having this discussion. It shows what a success the development has been. It's an excellent amenity now and the Council should be encouraged to roll out more of the same elsewhere in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

zulutango wrote: »
    I think it's a good sign that we're even having this discussion. It shows what a success the development has been. It's an excellent amenity now and the Council should be encouraged to roll out more of the same elsewhere in the city.

Hopefully they get the finger out and repair the Island Bank soon. It was a lovely cycle. It's been 'closed' (gate keeps blowing open) since the flood 3(?) years ago. The bank was breached and temporaryily filled that first year but nothing's been done since. They are working on Verdant Place at the mo but no sign of work beginning on the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

The new route from Corbally to UL is one of the best pieces of infrastructure that we have installed in Limerick in recent years but i believe is being ruined by certain users.

These signs specifically state that;

All users keep left and listen for bicycle bells
    Cyclists to use bells and travel at a safe speed
    Dog walkers to keep dogs on a short lead & cleanup after your dog

Any thoughts on this?

Yea, 3% of the population are deaf of severely hard of hearing.
    Bells on bikes are not a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Yea, 3% of the population are deaf of severely hard of hearing.
    Bells on bikes are not a solution.

So, I guess 97% (i.e. the overwhelming majority) are not deaf or severly hard of hearing. It seems that bells are an important part of the solution.

zulutango wrote: »
    So, I guess 97% (i.e. the overwhelming majority) are not deaf or severly hard of hearing. It seems that bells are an important part of the solution.

I think your reading this wrong and that's the reason people with disabilities have such a hard time trying to get their point across to the general majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

I think your reading this wrong and that's the reason people with disabilities have such a hard time trying to get their point across to the general majority of people.

Bells are definitely part of a solution. I was in Amsterdam recently where there is an abundance of bikes. Pretty much all of them had bells and used them to notify pedestrians of their presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Mr.H wrote: »

I don't think that is the case. How would we find out such a thing?

AFAIK it is a public path but not a park per se.

Therefore the national law applies, which is section 9 of the 1986 act:
    The owner or any other person in charge of a dog shall not permit the dog to be in any place other than—

(a) the premises of the owner, or

(b) the premises of such other person in charge of the dog, or

(c) the premises of any other person, with the consent of that person,

unless such owner or such other person in charge of the dog accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control.

The part underlined is key. It simply requires me to ensure that my dog comes to heel when instructed and there is no explicit reference in the legislation to a leash.

So we have to live with the dogs.

If the dog is unruly - game changed. Which is fair enough on everyone.

Compliments to those who did up the path. It's great - get down if you haven't seen it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

There's plenty of room off the path on the Shannon Fields where dogs can run. No need for them to be off the lead while walking on the path.

gotasmoke wrote: »
    Bells are definitely part of a solution. I was in Amsterdam recently where there is an abundance of bikes. Pretty much all of them had bells and used them to notify pedestrians of their presence.

Well I'm deaf and have been hit by bikes. Telling me they rang their bell is of little use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Crea wrote: »
    There's plenty of room off the path on the Shannon Fields where dogs can run. No need for them to be off the lead while walking on the path.

Like asking a cyclist to stay on a velodrome loop. :pac: No 'need' for them to be on the road or path as such, is there?

Not much to sniff in a field. Paths on the other hand... like the best doggy newspaper you ever read! I let my hound loose and he walks along beside me no trouble. I honestly can't see an issue so long as owners are responsible, clean up after the dog, and don't let it run amok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Well I'm deaf and have been hit by bikes. Telling me they rang their bell is of little use to me.

Where were you when you were hit by the bikes.
    Were you on the footpath or road or cycle lane?

Advertisement